Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

How to picture tutorial. Removing RCA jacks. - spylinker

Old 11-26-2003, 01:34 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to picture tutorial. Removing RCA jacks. - spylinker

Hi,
Just finished.

http://www.tinywireless.com/instructions.html

Take a look. How to take off those heavy rca plugs.

-Vova Reznik
www.tinywierless.com
Old 11-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How to picture tutorial. Removing RCA jacks. - spylinker

You have operated that particular system after the mods???
I am guessing the audio was non-functioning before? If you are going to short out the audio circuit anyway, why not just clip it completely off instead of connecting it to the tx?
Am I missing something?
ORIGINAL: reznikvova-RCU

Hi,
Just finished.

http://www.tinywireless.com/instructions.html

Take a look. How to take off those heavy rca plugs.

-Vova Reznik
www.tinywierless.com
Old 11-26-2003, 03:21 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fubar,
Thanks for letting me know. I tried the system 30 minutes ago there was no audio. I am in the process of uploading a fixed version.

I hope nobody has done this mod from the site yet.
My mistake[],
Vova
Old 11-26-2003, 03:33 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All fixed. Any more mistakes? I dont want people doing the wrong mod.[X(]
Old 11-26-2003, 04:53 PM
BenWillis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why do you cut off the ground wires on the audio and video lines?
Old 11-26-2003, 05:06 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You couldleave them on, and put shrink tubing over them. But this waould be pointless because the transmitter has no input for ground. Only audio and vide, negative and positive.

If you were to connect ground to signal, it would short out, as Fubar pointed out earlier.

-Vova
Old 11-26-2003, 05:45 PM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But this waould be pointless because the transmitter has no input for ground.
Actually, the floating braid that you see is an effective RF shield. For optimum results, it should not be removed. I suggest that you connect EVERYTHING as you find it.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:19 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TJust a note: The video quality is the same is it was with the RCA plugs.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:20 PM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But you probably have no way of measuring the radiated EMI/RFI from the cables. With the shields disabled, radiated noise may increase. Some external devices, such as the R/C gear, might be affected. Without substantial testing, it is all an unknown. The extra couple minutes spents restoring the unused shields is not a big deal and that is why I recommend not cheating on the recipe.

I agree that it may not matter in many situations. It is just hard to know when it will matter.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Spanky1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about this; to extend the distance between the camera and Tx run the middle wire from the audio to the braid of the added section, keep the video in the middle, since the grounds are common, cut the braids off to the camera and Tx, you can do it and eliminate another set of wires. I did this and no apparent loss of quality.

Did that make sense?

Spanky
Old 12-11-2003, 04:56 PM
jimlynn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can tell you from personal experience, if you eliminate any of the shielding (or allow it to float), you can introduce interference into your R/C system that can swamp out your control of the plane. In some cases, a shield that is floating (not grounded) can act as a radiator for the wire that is carrying the video signal from the camera to the xmitter and in effect, become a small transmitter at 60HZ which isn't anywhere near the 72mhz used by the rcvr, but any signal located that close to your planes' rcvr is not good and will at the very least degrade and "dirty up" your transmitter's signal. I can't remember exactly but I believe the basic effect is that if a transmitter is half the distance of a second transmitter, it will appear to be four times as strong. a 1 milliwatt "leak" from a video link located 2 inches from the the receiver in a plane will have roughly the same signal strength as a 250 milliwatt signal located 100 feet away. By the time you have the plane 500 feet in the air, the leak from your video signal is as strong as a 1 watt signal. At that point, you are at the mercy of your receiver's ability to reject signals outside it's tuned channel.

If my formulae are wrong, blame me. If my math is wrong, blame my palm pilot!
Old 12-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Spanky1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree.

I had to read that 12 times first but it makes sense. (Still learning)

Spanky
Old 12-12-2003, 12:20 AM
jimlynn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My son just asked where the 60Hz rate came from. The video, if NTSC, runs at a 60Hz frame rate (30 frames/sec x 2 fields). There are going to be other wild freqs in there also, ie. number of lines of resolution x 30 frames x 2 fields/sec. Also a bright bar or two or three will cause harmonics at a multiple of the above. What it all boils down to is a very noisy video signal at 1v peak to peak in close approximation to your rcvr. I haven't taught this in 20 years so I may have forgotten something or gotten something REALLY wrong but it still means that this is something that should be as well shielded as possible. And always range check with the video off and then on to see if their are any changes in operation after you do ANY change to battery type/voltage, cable routing, component placement, antenna orientation, etc...
Old 12-12-2003, 03:21 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Let me just clear something up...

The A/V TX has no ground signals.

Only the rca jacks.

The only thing you are removing is about 3mm of shielding, nothing more.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Spanky1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Amen to that.

After looking at what I did, there are no floating braids. All the braids cut off are connected somehow as a common ground. It's sort of at my limits but I can use an ohmmeter and verify that.

The other thing that makes things look confident is the fact ALL of the rca jacks protective/shielded wires and holy connections go into a 4 pin plug with about 4-6 inches of standard wire! 4 small wires running side by side. Jeez, it appears you could use speaker wire and be better shielded.

Spanky
Old 12-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, one thing I can attest to is that it is a good idea to limit the length of the unshielded wiring. I added a fair length between the Dean's Plugs I installed to give myself enough slack for different install options and when I crammed em into the fuse of my Electra I did get some radio glitching. Using the exact same system and plane before but with a different installation (shorter wiring) the system was glitch free.
I have now installed that system into a pod to go on top of my Ultra Stick 60 (wing mount) but have rewired it so that the wiring is as short as possible. I havent had a chance to range test or do an airborne test as yet. Hopefully tomorrow.
The next time I wire one of these up, I plan to use shielded wire, either two or multi conductor wire. Wire with a wrapped (shielded) conductor and two inner leads should fit the bill perfectly.
ORIGINAL: Spanky1

Amen to that.

After looking at what I did, there are no floating braids. All the braids cut off are connected somehow as a common ground. It's sort of at my limits but I can use an ohmmeter and verify that.

The other thing that makes things look confident is the fact ALL of the rca jacks protective/shielded wires and holy connections go into a 4 pin plug with about 4-6 inches of standard wire! 4 small wires running side by side. Jeez, it appears you could use speaker wire and be better shielded.

Spanky
Old 12-12-2003, 11:56 PM
elevator_up

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So let me ask the obvious ... Why not just shield the unshielded section ? Get a section of Coax wire and cut out the required length of shielding braid and transplant wrap it around the video wire, and another around the bundle. Heat shrink it to be pretty.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:50 AM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was looking ahead to the next modification. A 3 conductor cable with the shielding being one of the conductors would be perfect with the shield being ground, one lead for video, one for power, Dean's Plugs or whatever on the ends, nice and neat.
This is the system setup I plan to send up tomorrow:

Spylinker tx, CX-161 CCD camera, 9.6v KR600AE pack with a 5v reg for the camera, rubberbanded to the wing of my Ultra Stick 60.
This is not quite the finished product in the photo. The finished base has 1/4" dowels inserted for the rubberbands and reinforced with 1/16" Sig Ply. The camera box itself is bolted to the base with 6-32 socket head screws and blind nuts with the hard points doubled with more ply. The base is removable and can be flipped around 180 degrees so it can either face to the rear as in the above pic or forward as in the picture below:

Hope to get some good video with this. It looks rather large but isnt when you can see the full Ultra Stick. The plane should have no problems hauling it around.
For those using Studio 8 to edit their videos, I found out how to make PIP videos with it!
Check out this [link=http://www2.gol.com/users/spee/Studio/effects.htm]Studio 8 Notebook Site[/link] for details. I tried it out and it works!
ORIGINAL: elevator_up

So let me ask the obvious ... Why not just shield the unshielded section ? Get a section of Coax wire and cut out the required length of shielding braid and transplant wrap it around the video wire, and another around the bundle. Heat shrink it to be pretty.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Spanky1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fantastic! That looks great. Don't you get fuel spray up on it?
This plane has an old motor and slimed up the window after the first flight, plus it was foggy and drizzly which didn't help.It was tucked up under the wing next to the fuse. Since then it's mounted out on the wing (Tx back next to the fuse) hoping to solve the prob.
Spanky
Old 12-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, flew it today with mixed results. No fuel on the window as it was facing to the rear. A TX modification needs to be done for improved reception. I will mount the tx on the side of the box and solder a wire the same length of the antenna along it to make a dipole arrangement. My father thinks it will improve things. Shot a fair amount of video but havent had a chance to check it out yet. Also flew our Slow Sticks with the Spylinker 200mw systems on board.[:-] Not impressed. What video we got looked good but the dropouts were terrible.
BlackwidowAV here I come!
ORIGINAL: Spanky1

Fantastic! That looks great. Don't you get fuel spray up on it?
This plane has an old motor and slimed up the window after the first flight, plus it was foggy and drizzly which didn't help.It was tucked up under the wing next to the fuse. Since then it's mounted out on the wing (Tx back next to the fuse) hoping to solve the prob.
Spanky
Old 12-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Spanky1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We flew yesterday. The camera out on the wing worked but quickly realized you need the camera as close to the protective lens as possible. The sun kept reflecting in at all directions. Panning back to the plane looked neat.

Now the camera is mounted on the ends of arrows up 7 inches directly over the tail. Tx is at the base over the main wing. HOPEFULLY you can see the LE and everything below.
I will mount the tx on the side of the box and solder a wire the same length of the antenna along it to make a dipole arrangement.
What's that?

Spanky
Old 12-14-2003, 10:53 AM
W4UAV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Finally Fubar!! You guys need to dump that Spylinker garbage and go to Blackwidow AV.

As I said before, I dont work for Bill, I just love the results I get each time I fly video!
Old 12-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, I know.
Hey, the Spylinker gear is great for entry level and CHEAP. If a person decides that is something that is really fun, he can then move up to the BlackwidowAV equipment.
I have a feeling that no matter what system I used yesterday, the wild gyrations I was putting the US thru would have resulted in dropouts regardless.
Hope to have some video up later today.
ORIGINAL: KE4UVQ

Finally Fubar!! You guys need to dump that Spylinker garbage and go to Blackwidow AV.

As I said before, I dont work for Bill, I just love the results I get each time I fly video!
Old 12-31-2003, 02:22 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am just an AERO-Engineer... so be patient!!!
It seems to my little mind that if you have the audio and video signals within the same shielding, they are prone to affecting each other? Also, try here... http://www.hamtv.com/pdf.files/R-C.pdf they are suggesting a shield for the Rx with a band pass filter. These things appear easy to do, and I don't see a downside. Better to have sheilding intact and not need it then.... you know!!