Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

RC RX interferance?

Old 11-26-2003, 11:11 PM
BenWillis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC RX interferance?

Should I be getting alot of interferance from my wireless tx? I initialy had the video tx mounted around 7 inches from my rc receiver and when the video was on my whole plane went crazy, it reminded me of a metal on metal symptom.

Is this normal?

Ben in SC
Old 11-27-2003, 02:09 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RC RX interferance?

My Father and I have run into this problem 3 times. His was suspect, however. We think it was either a faulty rx or due to running the rx antenna down between the servos in the plane. Turned out the interference was there after the video system was off.
In my two situations, the first was using a 900mhz system in my Kadet Senior with a 50mhz rx. Turning on the video tx absolutely swamped the plane's rx to where it would see no input from the tx even while standing over the plane. Switching to a 72mhz rx solved it.
I also got some glitching with a Goldberg Electra and a hybrid video system using a 5v Panasonic CCD camera and one of the Spylinker tx's. I believe that was due to my Frankenstein wiring mess that I had thrown together the night before. The same plane had worked fine using the stock Spylinker setup.

Are you using a single conversion rx or possibly one on AM? Other than that, you shouldnt be getting that interference.
ORIGINAL: BenWillis

Should I be getting alot of interferance from my wireless tx? I initialy had the video tx mounted around 7 inches from my rc receiver and when the video was on my whole plane went crazy, it reminded me of a metal on metal symptom.

Is this normal?

Ben in SC
Old 11-27-2003, 09:10 AM
W4UAV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im using 1 watt (1000 mw) for video transmission and its 3 inches
away from my PCM rx with never any problems, no glitching, ect.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:27 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It has been my experience that the brand and vintage of the receiver makes a big difference on the interference issue. Most of the interference enters the rxs through the servo leads, not the antenna. Some Rxs tolerate the video tx well until the plane is a few hundred yards from the RC tx then the rx goes deaf to your control inputs. PCM rxs simply mask the interference. This leads to exciting video and a significant crash. The most tolerant rxs to onboard transmitters (I have tested nearly all of them) are the FMA Quantum (either 50 or 72 mhz) or the newer FMA m5. I currently carry either 1/2 watt 900 mhz txs or 1.5 watt 430 mhz txs onboard my research planes.

Hope this helps

Elson
Old 11-27-2003, 01:09 PM
BenWillis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My RX is a fairly new Futaba 127 on channel 45. I guess I can double check all of my servo leads especially since I have several y's and extensions (big gasser plane). I wonder if the stock wiring and RCA's could be causing trouble? I may try to hack those out and make some better connections.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Ben in SC
Old 12-24-2003, 12:43 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THERE IS A FAIRLY PAINLESS WAY TO SHIELD YOUR Rx, AND INCLUDE A LOW BAND PASS FILTER... GO HERE...

http://www.hamtv.com/pdf.files/R-C.pdf

and on page 1 there is a schematic showing how to do this. Infact...

http://www.hamtv.com

has a bunch of good info and links to other resources. I recently got my ham ticket so I could run a watt on 425 mhz, and run Rx on 50 mhz. There are a lot of online resources to help study for a test. 4 hours studying would be enough for most to pass the test. I tried dicking around with the 2.4 ghz stuff. Had very little success. I suspect that a good percentage of the stuff sold is technically illegal anyway... prob'ly not likely to be hassled over it, but these guys selling it could be "Fly'by'Nighters". I know a couple that have already in the past couple of years gone under and resurfaced with a name change....
ciao