Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

What Mega Pixel???

Old 12-06-2003, 01:47 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What Mega Pixel???

Hi everyone, I am in the market for a digital camera and since many here are knowledgeable about this, I came here for help. I came across this photo and was wondering what mega pixel (minimum) camera could produce a photo this sharp and detailed. I understand that professional photographers use multiple lights to illuminate the image in different angles, but the crisp (detail) image is what I am referring to.

Please feel free to post any photos taken with your camera stating what mega pixel and camera model that was used.

Thanks in advance for any reply,
DTB
Old 12-06-2003, 01:54 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What Mega Pixel???

In this case it is not the mga pixel that matters most.

The camera should have a macro more, or super macro.

The camera I use (Minolta dimage z1) Does this very well.

Let me look up a link w/ sample pics from me.

Vova
Old 12-06-2003, 02:01 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=174085
Old 12-06-2003, 02:06 PM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: reznikvova-RCU

In this case it is not the mga pixel that matters most.

The camera should have a macro more, or super macro.

The camera I use (Minolta dimage z1) Does this very well.

Let me look up a link w/ sample pics from me.

Vova
Those photos are detailed and is exactly what I am referring to, but could you explain to me what the macro or super marco is since it is not due to mega pixel as you stated.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:41 PM
reznikvova-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Macro mode is the ability of a camera to shoot up close photos.

Ive seen a 2 mp shoot as well as the ones I linked you to.

You would want more MP's if you were going to print an image- large.

For small photos, MP's are not as important as the ability of the camera to shoot close up.

I also owned a Canon Powershot s50 - 500 dollar camera. It could not shoot as well as my minolta(Less Mp's and 200$ less.)
Old 12-06-2003, 02:58 PM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For small photos, MP's are not as important as the ability of the camera to shoot close up.

I also owned a Canon Powershot s50 - 500 dollar camera. It could not shoot as well as my minolta(Less Mp's and 200$ less.)
Wow!!! Really. I didn't know anything about Macros. I thought everything revolved around the MP's. I really doubt I would be printing anything and if so, not large pictures. Do digital cameras have Macro specs that I should look for or how can I tell what the close up photos would be before purchasing one. I'd hate to have to buy a camera to find out how the up close photos would be. Are Macro's specs listed as numbers, grades, letters, etc...? I like to take photos of planes with details and would want something that would allow me to capture details that can be seen afterwards and uploaded. So I imagine I need to know everything about macros that you can tell me.

I really appreciate all your help.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:23 PM
CenTexFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DTB,

MegaPixels have to do with the resolution of the digital image captured. If you wish to capture an image where you will print nothing bigger than 4 X 6" print then a 2.0 megapixel will work just fine. What I believe you are looking for is the best OPTICS you can get on a camera using that MegaPixel range. Therein lies the rub. The lower the MP on a dig camera, the cheaper the optics are as well. There are a few notable exceptions. This would lead me to my next question.... do you want to "fly" this camera or take close up pictures with it? If weight is not the problem, then look at a Sony Mavica for the optics. Or even an Olympus, which has multi-element optics and macro functions as well. This forum is pretty much dedicated to us who have the cajones to buy a camera and then send it up in a model we just crashed yesterday! So it all depends on how many dollars you have and whether you're willing to bounce test that product[X(]

CTF

P.S. BTW, that engine in the pic is one of the worst engines that OS every brought into the market (IMHO) [8D]
Old 12-06-2003, 08:16 PM
gernith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check out http://www.dcresource.com/ they have good info on digital cameras, sample pix, etc.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:59 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This picture was taken with my 1.3 megapixel Sony Mavica. The lighting isnt the best being from one source but it got the job done:

Uh, the heap of slag in the picture is what used to be a Speed 400 motor from my Zagi 400X. The flight before went great. The flight this resulted in started with a good launch then almost immediately the motor made a kind ofa diminishing bleaaahhhhh... sound and that was all she wrote.
ORIGINAL: DTB

Wow!!! Really. I didn't know anything about Macros. I thought everything revolved around the MP's. I really doubt I would be printing anything and if so, not large pictures. Do digital cameras have Macro specs that I should look for or how can I tell what the close up photos would be before purchasing one. I'd hate to have to buy a camera to find out how the up close photos would be. Are Macro's specs listed as numbers, grades, letters, etc...? I like to take photos of planes with details and would want something that would allow me to capture details that can be seen afterwards and uploaded. So I imagine I need to know everything about macros that you can tell me.

I really appreciate all your help.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:00 PM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CenTexFlyer

DTB,

MegaPixels have to do with the resolution of the digital image captured. If you wish to capture an image where you will print nothing bigger than 4 X 6" print then a 2.0 megapixel will work just fine. What I believe you are looking for is the best OPTICS you can get on a camera using that MegaPixel range. Therein lies the rub. The lower the MP on a dig camera, the cheaper the optics are as well. There are a few notable exceptions. This would lead me to my next question.... do you want to "fly" this camera or take close up pictures with it? If weight is not the problem, then look at a Sony Mavica for the optics. Or even an Olympus, which has multi-element optics and macro functions as well. This forum is pretty much dedicated to us who have the cajones to buy a camera and then send it up in a model we just crashed yesterday! So it all depends on how many dollars you have and whether you're willing to bounce test that product[X(]

CTF

P.S. BTW, that engine in the pic is one of the worst engines that OS every brought into the market (IMHO) [8D]
CTF, thanks for the info. I only want to take photos on the ground with this. Up close photos and general photos is what the camera will be used for. NO flying for this camera. So I imagine I need to look at the Sony Mavica and the Olympus. Which Olympus model are you referring to exactly and which Sony Mavica model if there is such a thing?
Old 12-06-2003, 11:16 PM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

This picture was taken with my 1.3 megapixel Sony Mavica. The lighting isnt the best being from one source but it got the job done:
WOW!!!, that is from a 1.3 MP. That is not bad at all. I see another vote for the Sony Mavica. I am going to definately have to check out the Sony Mavica.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use mine all the time but I wouldnt buy another. Mavica that is. Big, bulky and the one I have uses either floppy disks or a floppy disk adapter. The floppy disks only hold about 10 shots at high resolution per disk. The adapter works with Sony memory sticks (I have both an 8 meg and a 32 meg) BUT the adapter glitches about 10% of the time and its ALWAYS the one picture you really wanted.
My next digital camera will use some kind of media card and download with USB.
Kinda got my heart set on the Olympus Camedia (C740 I think it is) which has a 10X OPTICAL zoom.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:34 PM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

I use mine all the time but I wouldnt buy another. Mavica that is. Big, bulky and the one I have uses either floppy disks or a floppy disk adapter. The floppy disks only hold about 10 shots at high resolution per disk. The adapter works with Sony memory sticks (I have both an 8 meg and a 32 meg) BUT the adapter glitches about 10% of the time and its ALWAYS the one picture you really wanted.
My next digital camera will use some kind of media card and download with USB.
Kinda got my heart set on the Olympus Camedia (C740 I think it is) which has a 10X OPTICAL zoom.
Yes, that is not exactly what I am looking for. I want a camera that saves the images digitally and can be uploaded with USB. Now I will have to take a look at the Camedia. I am like a sponge and just soaking all this information up. Not really looking for a camera that only holds 10 shots in Hi Res.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:24 AM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gernith

Check out http://www.dcresource.com/ they have good info on digital cameras, sample pix, etc.
Good info gernith, I have bookmarked this site. Answers many questions that I have/had. Thanks for the website.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:37 AM
macmacox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll point you to a camera review site that explains everything for the novice but also goes pretty in-depth with it's reviews
www.megapixel.net

a full screen image is only about 2 megapixel btw if you want it for anything other than hardcopy prints go for a lower megapixel count and get nicer optics (stay with the better brands nikon,olympus,fuji,canon, minolta. Kodak and hp from what I've seen when I've used them are pretty horrible as are the gateway cameras)
Old 12-07-2003, 12:59 AM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just bought an olympus d-390, 2 mgpixel last week for 125.00 and it has four shoot modes plus a holelot more to learn.takes great pictures up to 5x7 printouts and great macros down to 7" away