Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

First Video

Old 12-08-2003, 05:53 AM
warrior2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default First Video

Check out this video. It's the first video from my ebay system. It's 800mW xmtr, CMOS rvcr. I used PowerDirector 3 to edit out most of the signal loss glitches. It was done late in the afternoon, low light condx. The field is where the Flying Aces fly (public field) in Huntersville NC (David Waymer Field).

Camera mounted on top of wing, in little balsa box with plastic window. As you can see, soon gets some fuel spray on it and gets a little blurred. [>:]

I've since made a side mount that I can manually tilt and pan, and is mounted under the left wing away from fuel. Also installed exhaust diverter. Have new CX-161 CCD camera from Blackwidow that provides much better video. Custom wired harnesses (no RCA plugs!) and 11.2 volt Li-Poly battery with home-made 5V and 8V regulators. Will post some new footage later. Right now just learning how to fly for video, getting used to the system, and learning how to use PowerDirector. This version also has PIP, which I plan to explore, like that seaplane video from Pinetar!

Love to hear comments (I know it's a poor video, but I'm still learning!)

[link=http://www.pctech.com/abco/Avistar_112403b.wmv]Avistar Video.[/link]
Old 12-08-2003, 08:34 AM
OldGuru
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: First Video

Looks good to me. I'd love to be able to do the same one day...

Keep it up,
OG.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You say that was a CMOS camera you used? Worked pretty well! I get weird horizontal lines from the prop when I use a CMOS cam.
Sounds like your new setup is about the same as the one I plan to use next but I am using a 9.6v pack and a 5v reg for the camera. Built it into a box to go on top of my Ultra Stick 60. Was going to give a try this am but the winds came up so no flying today. Did some kit building tho!
Keep up the good work. Cant wait to see how the Li-Poly setup works.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:39 PM
john flynn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gidday fellas, I downloaded the file for this video but my win player won't play it. What can I do. Regards, John. Please disregard this post, I worked it out.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:40 PM
warrior2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, Fubar, is CMOS.

Fubar, you probably know that a lot of signal loss streaking and fadeouts experienced in the actual flight is edited out. I learned on that flight by reviewing the results, that I needed to move the antenna (it now points to the ground thru hole in bottom of plane), and keep the orientation of xmtr/rcvr as closely parallel vertically as possible. On that flight, the xmtr was rubber banded to aluminum landing gear! (Just had to get it in the air to see how would work!)

I can't wait to try out my new setup with the modified side mount for the camera, internal belly mount for the xmtr, and my new CCD camera from [link=http://www.blackwidowav.com]BlackWidow[/link]! But wx has been so bad, have not had any good flight opportunities.

I want to see how the Li-Poly setup works for a while. Plan is to power camera and radio gear from the 5volts, and the xmtr from the 8v. The camera/xmtr setup draws exactly 240mA, and the batteries are 850mA-Hr so I think all will be well. I used a Futaba J plug for the 5v interface, and a 3-pin Dean's connector for the 8v. I have a seperate slide switch for the camera battery now, which I can easily connect in with the Futaba plug. Also, I went to 11.4 to make sure the xmtr still operated OK when the Li-Poly drops to about 9.5v (min is 9v for the 3 cells - I will try to maintain at least 9.5v), allowing for about a 2v drop across the 8v regulator (LM7808). After about :30min of continuous testing, the batteries still checked 11.6v.

Stay tuned!

p.s. I've browsed through all your stuff on this forum. You are a kool-kat! I bought the $9.95 copy of Power Director Pro 2.55, but could not get a download of anything that would give me PIP. So I just bought and downloaded the retail version of PD 3 for $79. It's a great program! Now if I can just learn all this video editing stuff.......!

AB4WF (Amateur Extra Class - 10years)
Old 12-09-2003, 08:16 AM
steve ypsi mi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

john flynn
You probably need win-divx
I will try and post a link here, about half way down the page is a free down load on the left, I think the file is in WMV you are trying to view
Any way its worth a try, I know I couldn't see about half the movies I down loaded, It would show a ambeiance water some thing
[link=http://www.divx.com/divx/index.php]download DIVX[/link]
Old 12-09-2003, 01:38 PM
warrior2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Steve - Thanks for the tip on Win-Divx. On one of my computers (homebrew 1.2g Athlon) Windows Media Player would, after about :30 secs into a movie, start jumping several frames, stopping in between. However, on my other computer (Compaq 800mhz Pentium) all displayed as it should. I tried everything on the Athlon computer - updated Media Player, changing buffer settings in Media Player, etc. Then I downloaded W Divx and the movies that would not play right in W Media Player played just fine in W Divx!
Old 12-09-2003, 02:53 PM
steve ypsi mi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

warrior2
you are welcome sir, you would think the media player work with out doing all this stuff but it doesn't
Old 12-09-2003, 05:28 PM
john flynn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a go. Kind regards, John.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:46 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

warrior2, the video linked in your first post is actually using CCD technology. There are three clear indicators that this is the case

1) The prop is 'strobing' instead of giving the funky horizontal lines
2) The sun did not have a black spot in the middle
3) The sun causes a clean vertical white line in the video

If that is the camera sold with your system, and they told you it was CMOS, then you got a nice surprise because they actually gave you a CCD camera!

Regards,
Bill
Old 12-16-2003, 03:37 AM
warrior2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The box is marked CMOS. I guess maybe I lucked out, then! However, I just had a chance to check out the performance of the CX-161 Panasonic CCD cam I got from [link=http://www.blackwidowav.com]BlackWidow [/link] and it looks so-o-o-o much better!

I will post some new video as soon as I get time.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Rj-TailSpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Avistar is a great flying plane. We have one too. My son, David, crashed it severely after doing a loop and piling it straight into the ground instead of pulling out. Since then, he flies, but he don't land. Do you blame me-grin? The fuse was flat up against the wing and the tank and engine were packed deep into the CG. I rebuilt it in one day! Couldn't stand to see the young bird looking at me that way!

My son and I joined an RC club in 2002 after attending a Ground School and another club's Annual Show and Auction. I, being new to RC flying believed a show should include a flight demonstration. We went to the show to see a flight demo. We were so disappointed that no planes flew, only static displays! Nevertheless, I remembered this and I decided I would fly a demo at the next year's event. My son and I learned to fly very fast and did so on every opportunity. On March 9th of this year, our club had it's Annual Show and Auction. I had hoped to fly my video equipped electric glider, but the weather wasn't cooperating!

The plan was to fly with the video equipped plane over an adjacent frozen lake and pump the video into the Auction hall to a few large TVs for all the attendees. With the weather forecast looking very bad... everyone told me! "don't do it!" . I contact the AMA and send them detailed pictures of the flight box and the buildings/parking lots. They agreed the plan was sound and safe to perform. However, I did not have the support from my club, which I am quiting this year. I decided to install the video equipment in the Avistar because there would be no way to fly the electric in the predicted 40mph gusts

A few days before the show, I had been out testing on the lake and discovered a serious problem with the video link. When the engine was WOT, the video would be gone. I am a wireless guy, but this symptom had me thinking. I tried everything to fix it... nothing worked. I eliminated all the possibilities, proximity, engine EMF noise, induction, battery issues, connectors, equipment failure etc... etc... etc... I was ready to cancel when I made a discovery. I started the Avistar 40 in my garage without the radio on and with the video equipment being powered with a isolated solid voltage source with the antenna attenuated by 40db... I witnessed the interference for the first time on the ground. I still drew a blank to what was causing the video problems. After about a half of tank of glow... I reached over and placed my finger, ever so lightly, on the video board and BAM! The interference was gone! It turned out to be a problem caused by glow fuel entering the pot. used to regulate the video in to the transmitter. The vibrations from the prop caused an AM signal to be superimposed onto the video in signal which would destroy the video reception. It was a really tough one to figure out! The more practice flights I did, the worst the signal got. I cleaned the pots the best I could and I isolated the video board from the glow fuel and everything worked fine then. Not perfect, but goodenough...

The day of the event, the winds were 19mph and 38mph gusts!!! Never say Never! I flew for over 3 minutes and pumped the video into the auction hall. My buddy had to hand start the 40 because I blew a fuse in my truck using the starter while I had other equipment running... ie dummy. My buddy got it started... amazing, good man! But, then he hand launched the Avistar (no wheels... another story but it flies great without them) straight up and I had to do some quick flying to recover. It made for some wild video. I guest the moans in the auction hall were pretty entertaining. My son said, "they all cheered when you pulled her out" Just like a model day Barn Stormer! I couldn't hear the crowd being outside and a quarter mile away on a frozen lake-grin Into the wind the plane barely moved, but with the wind... about 10 seconds and turn! Things myths of made of-grin. The landing was quite interesting as the engine quit going down wind and I turn her around, but she kept on going backwards and landed near a bunch of snowmobilers. They are a wild bunch of people... they say, "That was cool". No damage to the plane... I just wish I could have flown longer. My fingers were completely frozen... I couldn't hardly feel the sticks, but there was no way I was't going to deliver on a promise to perform the demo.

Why this story? Because I think the Avistar is a great plane. It has taken a beating, yet I am able to keep it flying. I recovered it this Summer. Without the wheels and with the new coverings... she's almost too fast! I really love that Avistar! I would highly recommend this plane to any beginning pilot.

Rob
Old 12-16-2003, 11:03 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best cameras I have found are using the Sony 1/3" chipset, DigitalSignalProcessing and have almost no noise, unlike the Panasonic 171 camera I purchased. The Supercircuits PC181xs is made by this company and although it has a metal case and is a bit heavy the resolution is far superior to the Panasonic chipset. Maybe I got a bad Panasonic camera. There was a lot of noise in the Panasonic picture, you could see it as moving pixals in dark areas like tree trunks. Same view with the PC181xs no distortion or noise!

This company also makes board cameras and water resistant and waterproof bullet cameras with special glass coating to help with fog and rain.