Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Aiptek mounting? Problem Solved! UPDATED with Pics

Old 12-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aiptek mounting? Problem Solved! UPDATED with Pics

OK, the good news is I completed the RC-CAM mod to my Aiptek 1.3 Pocket Cam. The bad news is, I have no idea how to mount this thing. I figure that I want the camera facing down and a little forward. I have a huge 60 size trainer (Thunder Tiger 60 Trainer). There is alot of space inside, but I think I would rather have it outside so I don't have to cut the fuse. Would velcro hold this thing onto the fuse? It is not very heavy at all. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike Burgett
[link=http://users.adelphia.net/~mburgett/rcaces/index.htm]RC FLYING ACES[/link]
Old 12-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Myron

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aiptek mounting?

I bought a engine pod that you would use on a sailplane and mounted the camera on that... It just rubber bands down.... It made the Avistar a little sluggish but not a problem to fly... now All I have to do is get a good camera feed so I can record some good flights.... I tried this weekend and got mostly distortion....

Myron
Old 12-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well here's what I did. I bought industrial strength Velcro. I applied a 4x2 inch square on the left side of the fuse (to avoid exhaust). I then put velcro on two sides of the camera. The Aiptek does not way much at all, so I think that this will hold. I have to use a screwdriver to peal the camera off of the fuse. This also lets me change the direction and angle of the camera without much fuss. If it stays dry, I'm gonna try it out this afternoon.

Mike Burgett
[link=http://users.adelphia.net/~mburgett/rcaces/index.htm]RC Flying Aces[/link]
Old 12-11-2003, 07:36 AM
aaron2874

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You have to use a screwdriver? That must be some bad a!! velcro. Sounds like it will work fine to me.

Weather has just been garbage here in La Porte Texas (just outside Houston). It's cold, overcast, rainy... This is just killing me. If I don't get in some stick time soon I may vapor lock!

Hope to see your pics soon.

BTW I have the 40 version of your plane. I did use it to haul my mini camcorder. Very stable with those big wings. I bet that 60 size it's going to be excellent! However, I do recommend some kind of vibration dampening engine mount. I had the "wave" problem on mine. Your cam should be further away from the engine than mine so you might not have as much of a problem. Just have to shoot some pics and see.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:29 AM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I just finishes converting my plane into toothpicks for the holidays. I ordered a replacement and will try again soon.

BTW, I crashed while performing an unscheduled high speed dive. The plane is destroyed, but the VELCRO held! The camera was not damaged at all and is still functional. I bought the Industrial Strength Velcro in the Fabric Center at Wal-Mart for $5.99.

I'll get pics as soon as I can............................

I have updates on my web site
[link=http://users.adelphia.net/~mburgett/rcaces/index.htm]RC FLYING ACES[/link]
Old 12-13-2003, 04:32 PM
aaron2874

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bummer []

I gotta get some of that velcro!

My first plane was a Hobbico Hobbistar MKII 60. I too crashed it due to an unscheduled high speed dive. The cause was rubber band failure induced by improper elevator settings which cause massive g's in unplanned loops. Yep! The main wing came off and the fuse made like a giant yard dart from about 100' up at full throttle. There was a 15' debris field. I had to dig the engine out of the ground. The engine is a Magnum 61XL and suffered NO damage. It flies my CG Tiger 60 these days.

Sad... but inevitable...
Old 12-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Merry Christmas!!!!!

I am almost done building my replacement plane. I thought I would show you these pictures. This is how I mounted my Aiptek. I used the velcro again, cause I figure if it can withstand a full speed dive into the ground, it should be ok for normal manuevers.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76546.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	83822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24800.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	83823  
Old 12-21-2003, 08:17 PM
cabman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used a small electric "Slow Stick" to test different positions and conditions for the Aiptek camera/s. I found a couple things unique to this type camera. The best (interesting) views are from the sides of the plane looking out and slightly down. Most shots straight down are awful unless you are at very high. Very bright sunlight with shadows on your subject makes the most clear pictures. Vibration is your worst enemy. Wavy lines in your pictures are the sign of vibrations. You can always use photo software to easily rotate your pictures after you unload the camera so the angle that you mount the camera really isn't an issue.

I certainly hope you don't need another replacement plane again! Good luck with your aerial photography and soft landings.

Name:	Hf98652.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	84271  
Old 12-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice picture Cabman

I had heard that pictures taken looking down the wing would turn out good. That's why I put velcro on two sides of the camera. I can point down at any angle I want or flip the camera over on it's back and take pictures looking down the wing.

I'll update as soon as I can get to the field.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I mounted mine to my trainer with a little bit of double sided foam tape and it worked pretty good; some vibrations though. Also, too much wind resistance. I think an interior mount will be much better. As soon as I get another glow plane together, I am putting a hatch in the rear of my trainer for an inside mount.

Regards.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

I have a TT 60 trainer. It is very large. I have made one flight with the camera mounted on the outside and I could not even tell that it was there. The camera weighs almost nothing without the batteries. I think this plane could carry alot more weight before I would see any ill effects.

Mike
Old 12-27-2003, 05:09 PM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After some experimentation, I found that the camera works the best hung from the wing. Here are some of the first photo's.

Mike

Name:	Wu61201.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	85523   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44765.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	85524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71543.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	85525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf95897.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	85526  
Old 12-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anybody tried to use this Aiptek 1.3 to record a video? It appears that it will record up to 2 minutes worth of video. I'll try it next time out, but I just wondered if anybody has already tried it.

Mike
Old 12-29-2003, 10:57 AM
aaron2874

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your pics look real nice. I don't see any wavyness from vibration. I'm sure the cam is a good distance from the engine on that big a** plane! I've seen someone shoot a short vid using an Aiptek Minipen cam SD. I think he had it on a Tower Voyager and did a loop. The video looked pretty decent. The problem is, I think they only record at 10 frames per second so they are kind of choppy. I don't know anything about your cam, but it will probably be about the same. The instruction book should tell you. Don't worry about it though, it should do well. If your cam accepts memory cards, I would definately go buy one. Then you won't be in such a rush to get the plane up and do something while you still have recording time.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:43 AM
cabman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OGRIV, I have only tried the video mode while my plane was on the bench and it worked. However, to make it record video, you have to either leave the batteries connected in the camera or leave power applied to the plane while you unload the video to your PC. Apparently the camera uses a different memory for video than the still pictures. My Slow Stick wont get off the ground with the extra weight of the camera batteries!

Nice pictures! I did notice a little waves but not nearly as bad as mine with the motor running. I have to turn my motor off to take pictures but that's not an option for you.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the compliments.

Regarding the battery issue, I power the camera from the Rx battery during flight. If I take a video, I believe I can insert the batteries BEFORE I turn off the Rx power switch and that will hold my video until I get home. The camera does not accept external memory cards, so I am stuck with what is onboard.

BTW, To help in avoiding the vibration effects, I applied the wing saddle foam from Tower Hobbies. This works very well.

Hmmm, perhaps there is a modification out there to upgrade this camera's memory.

Mike
Old 12-29-2003, 01:07 PM
cabman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Adding the camera batteries while the rcvr. battery is on may create a problem unless you isolate the rcvr. battery with a diode. I have my camera powered directly from the ESC regulated 5 volts to the USB connector on the side of the camera. This source is shared with the receiver and servos. What will happen with this configuration is as soon as you connect the USB (PC end) to the camera, the USB will start to power the receiver and servos as well as the camera. My servos go nuts just like turning your radio off first! I use pico size servos and only 2 of them so the current draw from the USB would be small. However, 4 standard size servos would draw a lot more and may damage your PC power supply or Mother board? I guess you could install another switch from the wires going from the camera to the rcvr. and as soon as you connect the camera batteries you could turn the switch off. I have to unplug the camera from the rcvr. when I download pictures. Kind of a pain in the ass but it works!

In all the research on this camera I have done, I have never come across any info. on memory add-ons or upgrades.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well for good measure, When I modified the Aiptek I installed a diode on the positive wire going to the camera. Although my intentions were to prevent any noise coming back from the camera, It also serves to block the battery voltage from coming back also.

Mike