Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

New video!!

Old 12-03-2003, 05:10 PM
aaron2874

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New video!!

I was out goofing off at the moms' place again. Nothing much to do out there but create a little aerial mischieve. Click the clicky:

[link=http://www.rcsites.net/aaron2874/videos/StingerJump.wmv]New vid !!![/link]
Old 12-03-2003, 05:47 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Default RE: New video!!

Nice vid. A sunny day makes a difference.Do you use a tripod? I plan to.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:18 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

I tell you, I just love your videos. I am going to try my hand at some video footage soon. Can I ask what, video capture software are you using and what type of camcorder (digital, Hi 8)?

Great Video, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Derrick
Old 12-03-2003, 09:22 PM
aaron2874

My girl is using the camcorder freehand. I have a tripod but it's too short. I'm going to go get a taller one this weekend. Also, I agree about the lighting. The last 4 times I've been out flying and taping it's been overcast. The bad lighting and the constant focus problems are driving me nuts. COME ON SPRING!!!

I use Pinnacle Studio 8 to do the editing. I use a Canon Hi 8 camcorder for taping. To get the video off the tape and into my PC I use the Pinnacle DV80. It plugs into a usb port on one end and your camcorder on the other. You can use an S video cable or RCA plugs so it will work with just about anything. I also have a Aiptek DV3100 mini camcorder which I used in my first video.

My videos are posted at my sight: [link=http://www.rcsites.net/aaron2874/index.html]aaron2874[/link]

I'm starting a new project soon. I'm going to build a giant scale Stinger and power it with a G62. I can't wait to start filming that sucker, but it's going to be a while.

Thanks for the comments... later!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:57 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: aaron2874

My girl is using the camcorder freehand. I have a tripod but it's too short. I'm going to go get a taller one this weekend. Also, I agree about the lighting. The last 4 times I've been out flying and taping it's been overcast. The bad lighting and the constant focus problems are driving me nuts. COME ON SPRING!!!

I use Pinnacle Studio 8 to do the editing. I use a Canon Hi 8 camcorder for taping. To get the video off the tape and into my PC I use the Pinnacle DV80. It plugs into a usb port on one end and your camcorder on the other. You can use an S video cable or RCA plugs so it will work with just about anything. I also have a Aiptek DV3100 mini camcorder which I used in my first video.

My videos are posted at my sight: [link=http://www.rcsites.net/aaron2874/index.html]aaron2874[/link]

I'm starting a new project soon. I'm going to build a giant scale Stinger and power it with a G62. I can't wait to start filming that sucker, but it's going to be a while.

Thanks for the comments... later!
Thanks, I have a Cannon Hi 8 camcorder aslo (ES8400V to be exact). I will definately have to look into the Pinnacle DV80, but I've looked at the Pinnacles site and can't find the DV80 on the site anywhere. I think I would need the Pinnacle Studio AV or for $30 more I can get the Pinnavle Studio AV/DV in case I go digital in the future (really like this one). I have a tri-pod stand that puts the camera directly in front of my face and I am 5'11". Do you have the external equiptment or the internal parts for the video capture hardware.

Thanks for answering my questions,
Old 12-04-2003, 07:44 AM
aaron2874

I am using the external hardware. It's actually called "Dazzle Digital Video Creator 80". Sorry for the confusion. It only has RCA plugs and an s-video plug so it's good for tape camcorders. I think I paid around 80 dollars for it.

As far as digital camcorders go, you may not need to buy something like the Dazzle 80. I looked at some digital camcorders on the Best Buy site and saw that they have USB hookups and Firewire ports so you can get your digital video into your computer. Since they record in a digital format like mpeg2 and they already have the ports to transfer the video to your pc, you should only need the editing software like Studio 8. I also have an Aiptek mini digital camcorder which comes with the cable to plug into a USB port. I just dl the file into my comp then open the file with Studio 8 for editing. This may save you a little money on unneeded equipment. Just be sure to research before you buy.

Also, here is a BIG warning for everyone. I learned this after much aggravation. I had the full version of Studio 8 installed and running fine. Then, I bought the Dazzle 80 which came with another version of Studio 8 so I installed it as well so I could have the drivers loaded for the Dazzle 80. Big mistake!!! Nothing worked right anymore because I was experiencing version conflicts and god knows what else! So, I deleted ALL installations and only installed my full version of Studio 8. The Dazzle 80 still worked and I had no more problems with Studio 8. Silly me... I believe the full version of Studio 8 will recognize the Dazzle 80 so installing the software that comes with the Dazzle 80 is not necessary and could in fact be harmful to your blood pressure.

About the tripod, mine is eye level for me fully extended and I am 5'7". That's not good enough when you are trying to film an airplane zooming around. Christy (my girlfriend) has been having to use the camcorder freehand. Maybe I should get her a taller tripod for Christmas so she will have an easier time filming my flying!! (probably not a good idea)

Studio 8 is kind of buggy, but it's quick to learn and I haven't had much trouble working around the few issues I've had. I made my last movie in about one hour. The first one took me about 4.

Hope that helps. My fingers are tired!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Rj-TailSpin

Dazzle is not a good company and/or products. I used both the 80 and bumped upto the next $200 station something and it sucked. The support out of Dazzle was terrible. Maybe with Pinnacle at the helm things will be better. I would not recommend their products to anyone. I moved to the 8500DV AllinWonder. It came with video Studio V5 while V6 was the lastest. They wanted $99 to upgrade to V6. I was ready to upgrade and then they came out with V7! Yes, they wanted another $99 to upgrade to that version. I said screw the upgrades I'll make it work!

My point, be very cautions purchasing these video import products. Buy them at a store which have a good return policy... like Best Buy. If the product doesn't work immediately... TAke iT BaCk!!!

I plan to purchase MiniDV recorder and use it to capture digital video which I can easily import and edit with the AllinWonder V5 Video Studio. Funny, if you goto the forums for these video import product manufacturers... you will see nothing but complaints. It isn't an easy product to support. The amount of time for enduser to diagnose the problems and learn how to really use it is far too much in my opinion.

Rj
Old 12-10-2003, 12:53 AM
steve ypsi mi

I use a cheap sony HI 8 and the dazzle 69 or 79 dollars, to edit I use Movie maker from micro soft which is free off their site in download section, it works better than the dazzle edit stuff.
I bought the pinacle, could never get it to work then a friend who does work for ABC ,NBC and others covering sports said he use's pinacle in his work but had to go to school for weeks to learn to use it and every time they upgrade he has to go to school, now this guy has been doing this for years and had his own out doors sports show on t.v which he edited and he said pinacle was tough
Old 12-10-2003, 08:25 AM
aaron2874

Please be aware... Pinnacle Studio 8 is not a proffesional editing product. It's great for amateurs like me. I would bet that your friend uses one of Pinnacles' Proffessional grade editing softwares. If you go to Pinnaclesys.com you will see they have a clicky called "Consumer" where you will find stuff like you can get at Best Buy and they also have a clicky called "Broadcast & Proffessional". I'm willing to be your friend isn't getting the Best Buy version.

All I can say is what I know and use. I like my Dazzle 80. It's been great with no problems. I like Pinnacle Studio 8. A little buggy, but easy to work with and quick to learn. These are the two things I used to make my videos. They are no where near proffessional quality, but they aren't too bad for a video making NOOB like me. However, I must say, just because these work great on my system doesn't mean they will work great on someone elses. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw. I suspect though, that not every peace of hardware or software is compatible with every other peace of hardware or software... for whatever reason.