Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Geek? Not yet.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Spanky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geek? Not yet.....

Good day!

By no means am I computer literate, or camera/video literate or anything electronic for that matter. My mechanical is pretty good though.

Anyway, just flew an old trainer today with a 1500mW camera using the 9volt separate transmittor (early Christmas present). The box mounted under the wing next to the fuse was fashioned from good old duct tape and cardboard and a piece of pop bottle to protect the lens. In a word.........UNBELIEVABLE! The ad says 4000ft, it is ALL of that. When your plane looks small and you wonder, "How far out is that thing?" Well, it's a LONG WAY OUT.

This is the best investment yet. No radio glitches, the reciever was put on top of the car which set between the grainry building and the hay barn (only available plug for the tv/vcr). NO loss of signal, and it was WAY out there! (did I mention the distance?) Most of the forums get me lost in the giga hertz and milibite projection, ect.... But there really is nothing to it! For the first run there were no complaints, a few changes to make but really satisfying.

Someday I'll be a smart cookie on the lingo in here.
Thanks RCU.

Spanky
Old 12-09-2003, 10:04 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Geek? Not yet.....

Congratulations on your success!

I have several questions for you.

Did you try any aerobatics? I would be extremely impressed if you don't get video signal glitches or drop out, it seems almost everyone else does.

Which vendor did you purchase your system from?

Are you on channel 1,2,3, or 4?

Does your receiver have the adjustment knob, channel switch or both?

What type of transmitter battery are you using and how much time are you getting with it?

Can you measure the distance the plane was out? If you can't, have someone hold it and drive away until it's the same size measuring with your car's odometer. Not to burst your bubble but 40 size trainers look pretty small 1200 feet away, at 2000 feet they look like a sparrow.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Spanky1

Default RE: Geek? Not yet.....

Hi Skypilot_one, thank you.

Time was short to be able to fly, it was foggy/drissle. Conditions less that perfect. BUT, with a new toy.......you know.

No aerobatics yet, in fact when the motor started I ran back and hit record, ran back and took off. At about 30 ft up the motor started to protest, (forgot to tweak it before take off) so half throttle was all you dared. Next time for aerobatics. There were so many unknowns; vibration, camera angle, radio glitches. All put at rest.

The lens (piece of pop bottle) slimed up bad from the drizzle/fog and engine fuel. The whole thing is tore apart now, losing the rca jacks and extending, the camera is now velcroed to a mini servo for panning.

Sunpoint is the company, did a search and information. No number or address (p.o. only) for this guy. I think it's probably someone buying bulk and reselling.

Just the channel switch. Channel 3 no knob.

You are right about the distance. I may have got excited, reviewing the tape the plane went directly over the closest neighbors house, which, is about a 1/2 mile away. BUT, the grainery building w/steel roof was directly between the reciever and the transmitter and it didn't lose the signal. I'll check it with the car odometer next time.

The battery for the Tx is a 9 volt radio shack battery that was laying in the trunk since early summer. Now that everything worked in a cobbled up cardboard box, time will be spent on a better mount config.

Spanky