Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

FMA Co-Pilot in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 01:21 AM
IA-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMA Co-Pilot in the winter?

Is anyone using a Co-Pilot with snow on the ground and how does it work for you?
What sensitivity number does it report calibrating it on snow or frozen ground this time of the year?

TIA!
Jim
Old 12-18-2003, 09:24 PM
balsabuster2003

Default RE: FMA Co-Pilot in the winter?

Jim, From the Co-Pilot manual: "Co-Pilot "looks" at the horizon with infrared heat sensors (this same technology is used in thermal imaging cameras) The Earth is warm (even when covered with snow) below the horizon, while the sky is cold above the horizon. C-Pilot "sees" this temperature difference."

I installed one on my trainer. I have not soloed yet, so I had experienced pilots try it out. It worked spectacularly!

Another part of the manual mentions that you can use it in total darkness, if you have a means of visual contact! (for the adventurous)! The use of the Co-Pilot for training purposes is frowned upon in my club. Can't wait 'til I solo, so I can put it back on!

Balsabuster2003
Old 12-18-2003, 10:03 PM
IA-Flyer

Thanks balsabuster2003,

I just haven’t heard anything "bad" about the Co-Pilot, and lots of happy users. I think I'll have to get one!
I figured now was a good time to ask a question like that because a big part of the country is covered with snow.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:56 PM
W4UAV

I live down here in FL and I HAVE noticed the Co-pilot is more sensitive to remote gain
adjustments now that it is cooler, one click either way on the remote gain can mean
the difference between waggling due to the device over-correcting and working smooth.
Ive gotten where I just re-calibrate the device EACH time I go out just to see how many
counts I get whereas I used to go all season without re-cal, and depending on which plane,
Ill just wait for the ground to warm up a little.

(cooler means 55 deg in the sun down here)
Old 12-19-2003, 11:12 PM
IA-Flyer

Interesting information about not calibrating all the time.
I think it’s worth putting one on my next plane even if it can’t be used the entire year.
Thanks Mike!
Jim