Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Changing cameras. Voltage Question.

Old 12-19-2003, 11:41 AM
HoboDog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Changing cameras. Voltage Question.

Hello All,
I bought one of the 800mw Hong Kong systems. Just like Spylinkers. Works good, but the camera could be better so I bought one of the Panasonic CX161 CCD Cameras from BlackWidow. The Tx says 8v on it. I use the stock 9 volt battery setup. I think the camera I bought is 5 volt.
How do I connect the new camera? Do I need a voltage regulator? If so, do I just run down to Radio Shack and grab the nearest 5 volt regulator or do I need more specs to get the right one?
I haven't decided what plane to use. I have a Slow Stick and a SoarStar. Both running on LiPo. Any opinions as to which would be the better platform?
Any help would be welcome and paid back with many good Holiday Wishes.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:24 PM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Changing cameras. Voltage Question.

How do I connect the new camera? Do I need a voltage regulator?
Yes, you will need to add a new 5V VReg. The VReg in the Spylinker camera will not be able to handle the CCD's higher current demands.

If your battery source is higher than 7.5V, then you can use the common LM7805 IC Vreg (TO-220 package version). If the battery voltage is under 7.5V then the Vreg will need to be a low drop out (LDO) type such as the LM2940T-5.0. A heatsink is advised.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just tried a hybrid identical to what you are contemplating. I powered it, however, with a 9.6v KR600AE pack. I put a 5v regulator between it and the CX161 and powered the tx straight from the pack. You will not be able to power both the tx and the 161 with a standard 9v transistor battery. The camera draws more current than that battery provides.
My actual video left something to be desired and I am not sure why at present. I believe it might be a crummy rx. I have had good results with the tx I used prior but that was the first time out for that particular rx. Mondo Dropouto.
Video will be posted on my site within the hour. Would attempt another video run tomorrow but I am in the middle of yet another truck rebuild. If the guy wont honor the engine warranty, I just may be on the local news tomorrow night...
ORIGINAL: yukondog

Hello All,
I bought one of the 800mw Hong Kong systems. Just like Spylinkers. Works good, but the camera could be better so I bought one of the Panasonic CX161 CCD Cameras from BlackWidow. The Tx says 8v on it. I use the stock 9 volt battery setup. I think the camera I bought is 5 volt.
How do I connect the new camera? Do I need a voltage regulator? If so, do I just run down to Radio Shack and grab the nearest 5 volt regulator or do I need more specs to get the right one?
I haven't decided what plane to use. I have a Slow Stick and a SoarStar. Both running on LiPo. Any opinions as to which would be the better platform?
Any help would be welcome and paid back with many good Holiday Wishes.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:50 AM
HoboDog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, Thank you both for the great info! You both get the Best Holiday Wishes award.
I hope the truck warranty gets honored. I don't want to see anyone so helpful "on the news", unless it's good news.
Based on the fine advice I am considering 2 LiPo in series for 7.4 volts. I will add the LM2940T-5.0 voltage regulator directly to the pack and power the camera from the regulator. Will the 7.4 volts be OK to power the 8v Tx directly from the pack? What capacity pack will I need for 25 to 30 minutes powering both camera and Tx? I want enough time to get the plane landed and the pack unplugged before it gets drained low enough to ruin the LiPo batteries. Am I on the right track? If you were going to buy your power source new would you go this way? Would 11.1 volts be better ( 3 in series ) to power the Tx?
Thanks in advance.
KB7VNE
Old 12-20-2003, 11:18 AM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a 5V Vreg inside the Spylinker Tx cable or module. The one they use is a 7805 series part (not an LDO), which do not always work well with the lower operating voltages of a 2-cell LIPO. So, you will just have to try first before moving on to a different voltage source.

I estimate that the "800mW" system on a 145mAH pack would last for a half hour. However, the low 2S LiPO voltage will cause a reduction in range and the freq will drift as the cell voltage declines.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:05 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello yukondog,

One comment I'll add is that you should review the datasheet for the LM2940 and be sure to use the recommended output capacitor. If you are adding capacitors, you might as well tack on the recommended input capacitor also.

Regarding the li-po packs, I would go with a 800mah 2 cell pack. The higher capacity pack will experience less voltage sag and gives you a safety margin if your flight lasts a bit longer than you expected, and both the Soarstar and Slowstick will easily handle the weight.

Regards,
Bill
Old 12-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guess I wont be on the news tonight.
They honored the warranty AND accepted the old core and credited back the core charge even tho I had waited beyond their grace period to return the core. They were very nice and even tho I hope I never have to do business with them again, I WOULD do business with them again.
Unfortunately these engines are "Some assembly required" so now, once again, I get to install the rear seal, oil pump, pump pickup tube, timing case, water pump, pan, flywheel, clutch, all the various smog, steering, AC pumps, 3 dozen electrical connections, alternator, distributor, intake mani, exhaust mani, carb, etc, etc, etc.
I hate working on vehicles![>:]
Sure will be good to have my plane hauler back on the road tho! Then I can get back to important stuff like building, flying and crashing planes.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:10 PM
HoboDog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank again for the help, but I give up!

About the tenth time I unplugged the video cable from my Hong Kong receiver the video became intermittent. I had to wiggle the video cable just right in order to get video. Tried a new cable. No good. Busted the little 'do not open' sticker and re-soldered the video output connector to the PC board. No good. Chased video and ground around the board with an ohm meter. All looked good to the ohm meter but, no good. After doing the RC plug removal mod and busting the 'do not open' sticker I figure no use trying the warranty thing. I assume I would have to ship to Hong Kong anyway so it wouldn't be worth it.
Now I have a new CX-161 camera coming but no RX / TX. I think I'll get the 200mw or the 600mw 5 volt units from BlackWidow. 2.4 gigahertz.
Kokam sells 5 volt regulators at 2 amps that are for the 7.4 volt LiPo packs for RC receiver and servo power in gas planes. Sounds perfect to power a 5 volt camera and Tx.
Any advice on what Tx / Rx to get? Is 200mw enough? I have a HAM license.
Regards,
KB7VNE
Old 12-21-2003, 07:33 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yukondog,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the Hong Kong equipment. When it works right, it can be a good introduction to wireless video without spending a lot of money.

With respect to the 200mw or 600mw Black Widow transmitters, the good news is that this is *true* RF output. Generally speaking, 100-200mw of RF power is plenty for the typical flyer, when coupled to a good antenna on the receiver. The 8dbi circular polarized unit on my website is very popular.

The 600mw unit is going to get you about 1.7 times more range than the 200mw unit, assuming the same antenna on the receiver. This is a lot of power in my opinion, probably more than most people need, but it will definitely get you some great range.

With regards to the kokam 5v vreg, this is a clever idea! If it really is rated at a continuous 2 amps (heck, if it is rated at a continuous 1 amp) then it would work great with either transmitter.

Regards,
Bill
Black Widow AV
Old 12-21-2003, 10:10 PM
HoboDog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill,
I ordered the 600mw Tx from you a few hours ago. Quit reading this and go ship it.
I also ordered a 2s 560mah LiPo and a 5 volt regulator made by Kokam. The regulator is on a board with all support components. It is 2 amps continuous. It also has 3 LEDs to indicate battery charge. Red, yellow, green. I figure the camera at about 200ma and the Tx about 460ma. 660 total. I should get a half hour or more.
There are 3 wires coming out of the regulator board. Red, black, white. I haven't figured out what the white is for. This is made to power RC receivers and servos.
Happy Holidays!