Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

TFT/LCD monitors any good outdoors?

Old 12-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Skycam41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TFT/LCD monitors any good outdoors?

Like many of you I have been tinkering with the Spylinker system and I am thinking about purchasing one of those 4-6" TFT/LCD monitors for viewing the picture. How do these monitors fair when used outdoors or is the picture very hard to see? Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!
Cheers
Mike

PS, my winter BTE Flyin' King aerial photography plane is now under construction at a quick pace, well untill there is a thumping on the ceiling!!
Old 12-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Crash Pilot

Default RE: TFT/LCD monitors any good outdoors?

Skycam41

I had the same idea and purchase a 7.5 inch LCD monitor off ebay. I had plans of mounting it on my radio transmitter .
The first problem is that the majority of ebay monitor are very cheaply made and the picture quality is very poor (you get what you pay for).
You have to hold the monitor in right position otherwise you can't see the picture.
When I tested it outside I couldn't even see anything on the screen. Tried making all types of sun visors but had no luck.

I will purchase a pair of eye top video glasses in the near future.

This is only what I have found.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:43 PM
SpaceCase
My Feedback: (4)

smae for me, got a 5 inc lcd, sunlight messes visibility with it up. Im going with the eyetop too. although I hear it has its own probs, lens quality.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Rj-TailSpin

I have one of those color 4.5" TFT/LCD monitors. Very costly, but they only work indoors. The viewing angle is quite small. I don't believe making a shade will help because even with the car blocking most of the direct light... I am unable to see much of anything on the screen. The image has to be clear and easily recognizable at a glance to be useful.

I was looking at a tiny black and white single eye viewer for about $100 They are similar to the eye piece of a camcorder. I don't plan to fly via the monitor... I just want an idea of whether or not I'm above my target etc...

For the cost and poor viewing quality on bright sunny days... I would advise that you not waste your money on the 4.5" monitor. Buy more RC stuff instead... you'll be much happier-grin!

Rob
Old 01-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Skycam41

Thanks for the practical advice! Yeah more R/C stuff...great idea

Mike
Old 01-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Rj-TailSpin

I could have purchased a couple more Jeti 30-33's for what I spent on that useless color monitor!

More power to the planes!!!
Rob
Old 02-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Deltageek2

Yeah, the LCD monitors wash out terribly in sunlight and there are 2 flavors of quality- one is a higher resolution, the other is.... mud. I've seen the LCD mons sold with a hood that you put your face into to block out most of the ambient light. Probably the only way to get it to work out in the sun.

I got a Cyber-Visor Head Mounted Display. Worn like Lt LeForge's visor, it has 2 hires monitors with 1.4 million pixels each and a wide view like a large moviescreen. The immersive effect of this view is stunning in RPV mode! Also stereo headphones are part of it- altho I don't currently have a mic in the system.

Before I went HMD I used a tripod mounted camcorder with a swingout LCD screen, put the mw rx on the tripod handle and looked at the monitor to fly it while recording the downlink. It was adequate for a visual check but not like the HMD experience. the Cyber-Visor is about $700 so there are many options to be had.