Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
The Purchaser.
14.29%
The Seller.
85.71%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Lost order. Who should research it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost order. Who should research it?

When an item ordered from one of the online RC companies (such as Hobby Lobby) disappears en-route, who has primary responsibility for contacting the shipping company and tracking down the order?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Rj-TailSpin

Default RE: Lost order. Who should research it?

Until they can prove it reached your door... the sole responsibility rest on the supplier. No need to do research on this one.
Rob
Old 02-18-2004, 10:55 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

100% with Rj on that one.
There should be no question whatsoever.

Now... if it shows up in tracking as "delivered", and you don't have it, then you may have problems.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Fubar-One

Thats the problem. DHL shows it as delivered although their code says left at door. All I know is that it wasnt MY door. And we were home all day and would have answered any knock at the door plus I went in and out thru this same door and I sure didnt see any package. And since I was expecting it, believe me, I looked!
DHL is looking into it because *I* called them but Jay Plemons at Hobby Lobby, in his email, said, "After the package has left our building, the order is there hands. Hopefully it will show up."
He also suggested I ask the neighbors. There are 300+ units in this complex.
Sounds like he really appreciates my business.
Time for me to get on the phone and raise a big stink, I guess.
ORIGINAL: C_Watkins

100% with Rj on that one.
There should be no question whatsoever.

Now... if it shows up in tracking as "delivered", and you don't have it, then you may have problems.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:19 PM
IA-Flyer

I sent a small (expensive) part to be repaired once using UPS.
After weeks passed and my part wasn’t returned I called the guy and he said he never received it. I called UPS and after some checking they found the delivery person hid the package in the bushes behind the guys house!
He went and looked and there it was, wet and moldy!
If it wasn’t sent signature required, somewhere on your block or in your apartment complex is close enough for some delivery companies.

Just ask Hobby Lobby for the name of the person who signed for the delivery, if it isn’t you or they didn’t get one they can try it again.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:23 PM
IA-Flyer

Hey Dan, I did my last post at the same time as you so I didn’t see all the new info.
Yea, if they left it in the apartment hall way, that’s not delivered to you because you don’t rent the hallway and it’s accessible to anyone.
They need to take care of that for you, and re-send the items. Big time.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:31 PM
C_Watkins

I'd call back, and ask to speak to the manager., and explain that you never received it.
If that doesn't get you anywhere, ask to speak to THEIR manager, etc... as needed.

This is one of those awkward circumstances that always makes me want to ship and receive
"signature required" only. The delivery company says it's been delivered, and the people
you ordered from now don't know whether to believe the delivery company, or you.
(There are those unscrupulous types who would claim a thing never arrived, just to get another one "free")

Good luck with a resolution. Perhaps the delivery guy anticipated delivery by marking a thing delivered
which isn't, but that he expects to deliver on this particular run. (Not best practice, but it happens)
Maybe it'll show up yet, though I wouldn't hold out much hope if a couple extra days have already passed
since the package has been marked "delivered".

Worst case, you can always dispute the charges, if you paid via credit card!
Old 02-19-2004, 03:51 AM
jimlynn

I have a company that sells on ebay and over several different web sites. This is just my spin on this after 5 years in business.

It is really BOTH parties problem to research. When we get a call or email about an item lost-in-shipping, we immediately check the tracking records. I have registered with UPS, USPS, FEDEX, & DHL as a software developer and therefore have direct access to their databases. This give me a lot more info than shows up when you track from the web site or even call their customer service. We ONLY ship with DELIVERY CONFIRMATION & SIGNATURE REQUIRED with insurance for full retail amount. This places the problem squarely on the sholders of the shipping company. Unless their records show the right signature for delivery, we can ship a new item knowing that we will be reimbursed by the shipping company. Sadly, we have really had more problems with fraud than lost items. One "gentleman" even swore the signature wasn't his even after the postal delivery driver swore out a statement that he had personally handed the package to the customer....
We make it a policy of never sticking the customer without a product, but you can't, unfortunately, just trust everyone. We have just about stopped using UPS, because even though we ship with deliver confirmation and signature required, the driver is allowed to decide to leave it anyway if he considers the situation "safe." We have also had customers fax us a declaration that they hold us faultless if the item isn't delivered, just so that they don't have to pay the insurance and the $0.30 delivery confirmation charge. Then they turn around and demand a new item after it doesn't show up. We also have customers DEMAND that we understate the value (for custom charges) and then complain when we only cover the insured amount when shipping a new item, again, after they faxed us a waiver.
No one wins when these things happen. We try to bend over backwards for our customers, but it happens at least once a month.....
Old 02-19-2004, 08:10 AM
aaron2874

First off, I say the seller is responsible. You have paid for an item with the obvious expectation of delivery. It's the seller who contracts the shipper to deliver the package, not you. Therefore, I believe the seller should be the one to follow up on missing packages and "raise hell" where appropriate. If the shipper is smart, they will require insurance and signatures. Personally, I think insuring packages is crap! Why do I have to pay for insurance. The shipper takes the responsibility of caring for it while it's in their control... at least that's how I think it should be...

Second, here is a little tidbit about UPS. One day I broke the firing pin in my Calico M100. It's a 22 caliber rifle with a 100 round cylindrical magazine. Anyway, I ship it via UPS to get it fixed. About 2 weeks later, I'm driving home, round the corner, and what do I see sitting on my front porch???!!! MY GUN!!! I lived on the main street in my sub with the heaviest traffic. No trees or anything to obstruct anyones' vision of my entire front porch. Now what do you think might have happened if the wrong person stole that package? DEATH AND BIG LAWSUITS!!!

Third, after years of wanting to get into this hobby, I finally tried. Ordered my first plane. It was a TT 40 trainer RTF. Came UPS, they left it on the porch and guess what... it got stolen. My actual first plane wound up costing me $600 dollars instead of the original $335.

I HATE UPS WITH A BURNING PASSION AND LAUGH WHEN I SEE THERE UGLY BROWN TRUCKS BROKE DOWN ON THE ROADSIDE !!!
Old 02-19-2004, 09:03 AM
HoboDog

Just a different UPS story. I get all my mail and packages delivered to a UPS store private mailbox. It is because I live in the country with a mail box out by the road out of site of anyone. In other words people used to steal my mail. I got a lockable mail box once and they stoled the whole thing with mail in it.
Anyway, one day I looked at the UPS tracking site on the internet and it said I had a package delivered. I went down to the UPS store and asked for my package. They didn't have it. The drive delivered it somewhere else but the person in the UPS store signed for it anyway. I went home and printed out the online order form I used, returned to the UPS store and left with a full dollar value check in my hand. Unfortunately it was December 24th and it was a last minute Christmas present for my wife. I gave her the check instead.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:41 AM
CenTexFlyer

Hey Aaron,

You don't have to worry about UPS shipping any more guns!

CTF
Old 02-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Rj-TailSpin

Yeap, those shipping companies literally hide the packages if you don't request a signature delivery. I once ordered an HP printer online, at that time 800 duckets, and what did UPS do??? Left it on my patio which got covered with snow and found 6 days later!!! Always include signature delivery. Some companies don't allow this though because the transportation company charges more. It's best to simple ask someone... what if??? Before you place an order. I hate ordering over the internet... it's fast and easy and sometimes too easy to lose your money that is-grin.

If you paid by credit card... most cards will return your money for this type of problem. Check with them, get your money back. You will only be more frustrated attempting to fix the shipping business. Let is go... Luke... let it go.

What ever happened to the store at the end of block.. walkin, buy, walk out... Happy! Getting pissed at lost shipments is right up there on my list with getting pissed over technology and computers!!! It's all shat smelling stuff!!!grin!!!

Rob
Old 02-19-2004, 01:26 PM
IA-Flyer

Dan, put one of your micro cameras to good use.
Put it in the hall way recording to a VCR and send your self an expensive looking package (with an appropriate note in it) by UPS and be sure not to be there when it’s delivered. Have it delivered on the same day of the week and you may record something interesting.

Aaron, my small hidden package was a Jewel trigger for a bench rest rifle, thank goodness it was all stainless steel!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:31 PM
IA-Flyer

Correction
Not by UPS, by the same company that delivered the package that didn’t arrive last time.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:29 PM
William Bosco

Hello,

quit bashing ups and hobby lobby

When you order something valuble or precious as in rc related and live in a complex housing situation, then you always use the good ole us mail, they honor their insurance claims and don't deliver packages under bushes. They leave a note in your box and you go pick it up. no problem. When you order hobby products or stuff off ebay, try to get things to go the way you want beforehand and remember the sad saying"Buyer Beware"

Willie
Old 02-19-2004, 05:05 PM
IA-Flyer

Yep, I ship USPS priority with delivery confirmation when selling on ebay.
Out of hundreds of UPS shipments (sent and received) I've only had 3 problems and they could have been avoided by making sure a signature was required.

On a humorous note, I had someone with a warped since of humor send me a front rest to try out. He was a RC flyer so I sent him some RC Video magazine videos to watch while I was using his rest. He sent the rest in a box marked "adult content" all over it and adult signature required. I made a point to send the videos back in the same box the same way. The lady that took the shipment at UPS looked at me and asked what is in the box videos? I just grinned and somehow kept from laughing and said yes how did you guess?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Rj-TailSpin

Now that is FUNNY!!! You Stud hehe
Rob
Old 02-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Fubar-One

US mail isnt one of the shipping options for Hobby Lobby. Their shipping options are get it within a reasonable time, get it in a couple of days, get it tomorrow.
Get it never didnt show up on the website so I guess I got a free service. I opted for standard shipping. What I ordered should have been shippable by the USPS and would have fit in my mailbox. You would think a sig would be required upon delivery. Apparently not.
If the dink that delivered it actually put it leaning against MY door he might as well have just tossed it in the street or handed it to one of the riff raff children in this complex since anything that isnt nailed down around here is fair game.
Believe me, if using the USPS would have been an option, I would have selected it.
ORIGINAL: William Bosco

Hello,

quit bashing ups and hobby lobby

When you order something valuble or precious as in rc related and live in a complex housing situation, then you always use the good ole us mail, they honor their insurance claims and don't deliver packages under bushes. They leave a note in your box and you go pick it up. no problem. When you order hobby products or stuff off ebay, try to get things to go the way you want beforehand and remember the sad saying"Buyer Beware"

Willie
Old 02-20-2004, 12:42 PM
IA-Flyer

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

Get it never didnt show up on the website so I guess I got a free service.
Free for a limited time with any order over $50.00 our new "get it never" service!
Take advantage of this limited offer while it lasts! $5.00 off your next order for every friend that references you on their next "get it never" order!
Act now, don’t get left behind.

I don’t think we can cheer you up right now Dan, let us know how it works out.

Jim
Old 02-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Fubar-One

Actually that is pretty damned funny! I have been in contact with DHL (more importantly, they have been in contact with me!) and they are trying to track down where the driver left it. I guess is supposed to lead them to where he left it and I should hear from them before noon. Its just about 11:30 now and no knock on the door so far so wherever it was, it doesnt seem to have been here!
There are no hallways in this complex. There are a series of buildings with 10 apts each arranged in a little comunity. I am in building 23 out of at least 30. My door is in full view of anyone strolling along the sidewalks between the buildings and going to or from the tot lot.
Of all the online and Ebay purchases I have made, I have had problems with 3 as far as shipping. One got the label torn off somehow but managed to make it back to the sender who promptly notified me and sent it back out. The second was about 2 weeks ago and for some reason was sent back to the sender with no reason given. When I told him it hadnt arrived (this was the 900mhz patch antenna Ebay purchase, by the way) he verified the tracking number to me and sent me another one overnight express. We still dont know why the original was sent back but it was shipped by, get this, DHL!
I am 0 for 2 with DHL shipments at this time.
The point is that the shippers were concerned that I hadnt received my merchandise and did their best to make it right. Only Hobby Lobby had the "Oh well, screw you, we got your money." attitude.
I am about to get on the phone with those jerks in a couple of minutes.
ORIGINAL: IA-Flyer

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

Get it never didnt show up on the website so I guess I got a free service.
Free for a limited time with any order over $50.00 our new "get it never" service!
Take advantage of this limited offer while it lasts! $5.00 off your next order for every friend that references you on their next "get it never" order!
Act now, don’t get left behind.

I don’t think we can cheer you up right now Dan, let us know how it works out.

Jim
Old 02-20-2004, 05:23 PM
W4UAV

Dan,
Do you have an apartment office, where you pay your rent ect.? That is a good place
for deliveries, its safe and secured as long as your landlord is an upstanding person and
will sign for pkgs, providing the delivery person leaves a doortag! You see I have some
knowledge on this subject, I am a Fedex Express courier, not to be confused with Fedex Ground,
they are a separate company(remember RPS?) I take pride in my route and the way I
conduct my delivery stops, I know who will accept pkgs for tenants and who wont, I am not
to leave pkgs exposed and we give the recipient 3 attempts to try to be there when they are
or they can pick up at our station, or they can call and arrange for me to reattempt the same
day! I love that one cause I look like the hero! Ive been here 7 years so far and intend on making
it to 20 or 25, I love this company!

I know everyone has a delivery nightmare story, I just want you to know there are more couriers
out there working for all the delivery companies that take pride in their job and want more than ever
for the customer to get their package on time, even earlier if possible!

I just wanted to offer an alternate opinion. Im really sorry that happened Dan, it does make me want
to do my job better and make sure of each stop. Hopefully you can get it resolved very soon!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:52 PM
IA-Flyer

Yea I was sweating bullets on the 900MHz antenna if you know what I mean.

Hey Mike, ignore the destination address on anything from BlackWidowAV on your rout. It was mislabeled and was suppose to come to me!
Old 02-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Fubar-One

Well, it has been established by DHL that it was not delivered to MY door. After talking to a very nice rep on the phone several times (she actually kept calling ME) and talking to two different drivers in person, one of which was the original culprit I now know that it was left at the door of a completely different building. The address for that building doesnt even share the same street as mine. How the hell it was left there I dont know since you can see the numbers on MY building from the friggin street. I mean the numbers are bolted to the building 15 feet up the side of the wall in 12" black numbers on a beige wall.
Now what the people in the apt it WAS delivered to did with it, I dont know as yet. If it had been addressed to them and arrived at my door, I would have walked it over to them. Seeing as how they didnt bring it to me...
All that aside, DHL will now have to make good for the shipment somehow. I would have walked over and asked these people for the package but the rep told me not to. It is the driver's responsibilty to retrieve the package and deliver it to me.
I also called Hobby Lobby this am and talked to somebody other than the "who cares?" guy about the problem. He informed me that it is indeed something THEY should be checking into and that response was not appropriate. Supposedly it is being researched on their end but I havent gotten a call back from them yet. I did inform them that I was also working with DHL to find out what happened.
Now I just have to wait to see what happens as far as my order. Will they be able to retrieve it? Will it all be there? Will I have to wait for months while they hash out the claim?
In summary, two contacts to Hobby Lobby, one very poor response, one ok response (pending).
Many contacts with DHL, VERY good responses with the rep. I wouldnt, however, hire that driver to deliver a brick across the street.
I still think Hobby Lobby's attitude from the beginning should have been one of customer service not "Oh well, maybe it will turn up."
Whether or not I ever get those Wingo upgrade parts from them, that will be my last purchase from Hobby Lobby.
Either way, I am still waiting for those parts.[:-]
ORIGINAL: KE4UVQ

Dan,
Do you have an apartment office, where you pay your rent ect.? That is a good place
for deliveries, its safe and secured as long as your landlord is an upstanding person and
will sign for pkgs, providing the delivery person leaves a doortag! You see I have some
knowledge on this subject, I am a Fedex Express courier, not to be confused with Fedex Ground,
they are a separate company(remember RPS?) I take pride in my route and the way I
conduct my delivery stops, I know who will accept pkgs for tenants and who wont, I am not
to leave pkgs exposed and we give the recipient 3 attempts to try to be there when they are
or they can pick up at our station, or they can call and arrange for me to reattempt the same
day! I love that one cause I look like the hero! Ive been here 7 years so far and intend on making
it to 20 or 25, I love this company!

I know everyone has a delivery nightmare story, I just want you to know there are more couriers
out there working for all the delivery companies that take pride in their job and want more than ever
for the customer to get their package on time, even earlier if possible!

I just wanted to offer an alternate opinion. Im really sorry that happened Dan, it does make me want
to do my job better and make sure of each stop. Hopefully you can get it resolved very soon!
Old 02-21-2004, 01:11 AM
C_Watkins

Good to hear you're making progress.
Hobby Lobby should make it a priority to get in touch with DHL, and get it straight, IMHO.
If they get the same story you got, (basically... delivered, wrong address, package missing and presumed dead)
if they wanted to "do the right thing", they'd ship out new, PRONTO, and get their money out of DHL
the best way they can. (shipping credits, reimbursement, I dunno... but it's sure not your problem)
Basically, you payed for something and didn't get it... now with backing from the shipping co's own rep(s).

Of course, that's if they wanted to do the right thing, and perhaps keep a customer in the process.
Maybe you'll get lucky and it's a non-issue, the package is still unopened and intact, and you'll get it tomorrow.
Keep your fingers crossed!

Edited... to note that I'm definitely not saying HL has done anything wrong. (Except that guy sounding flippant
with his first reply) This was definitely a dereliction of duty on part of the shipping company's driver. No doubt.

PS... Pease let us know how it turns out. I'm extremely interested in knowing if HL goes the extra mile, and takes
care of this thing on tomorrow, whatever it takes... or if they blow it off until Monday morning or later.
If it were me, and they "made this right", I'd not write them off yet. (One employee does not a company make.
I try to get the names of folks like that, and make sure their superiors know what was said. It generally takes only
a few such complaints before that person finds themselves looking for new employment)
Old 02-21-2004, 02:50 AM
jimlynn

Like I said in an earlier post: We require insurance on everything we ship out. That way we can ship replacement to the customer and not worry about losing the cost of the merchandise. It only gets sticky when we sell "one-of-a-kind" items and have to try and find a replacement. We have had to find and buy another item in order to ship something to the customer. It's a lot of hastle, but a repeat customer is worth their weight in gold. This is also why I stated earlier that we have almost completely stopped useing "Brown"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.