Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Video Compression ?

Old 01-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Ogriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Video Compression ?

I just took a 1 minute video with my Aiptek 1.3. It turned out quite nice for my first attempt. I was amazed to see that the video is 360MB! What do you all do to compress this to a more manageable size?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 01-03-2004, 03:09 PM
BP5589
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Video Compression ?

Hi Mike,
You're right, you do have to compress raw video to be internet friendly. I use Pinnacle Studio 8.
There are several programs that you can choose from. I edit mine first trying to take out some distortion, etc then save the new video in what ever format they have to make it more manageable. I don't know if there are any free programs but there are several in the $100.00 range. Good Luck
Bill
[link]http://www.bp55899.com[/link]
Old 01-03-2004, 05:24 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would strongly recommend that you take a look at a product called TMPGenc which will perform MPEG1 and (for a small fee) MPEG2 compression. There are a million and one different methods for compressing video out there, but MPEG has the advangage that it is one of the very few ubiquitous standards which will guarantee that the video you encode today will be viewable by the largest number of people both now and in the future.

MPEG isn't the most efficient way to compress video -- but it does have the advantage that every PC (including Apple and Linux -based systems) will be able to view video encoded to MPEG-1 specifications. You can also use MPEG encoding to create VCDs, SVCDs or DVD-compatible formats that can then be burnt to CDR/DVDR disks for use on your DVD player.

MPEG1 encoding will allow you to compress a minute of video down to a file as small as 1-3MB (depending on the quality you want).

If you really want the very best compression then take a look at DivX (which is an MPEG4 variation and can be downloaded at http://www.divx.com). Although it won't play on your DVD player, it is a well supported system that is really efficient.

Although I'm sure others will disagree, I'd say you ought to avoid Windows Media formats such as WMV because these are proprietory and the later versions will only play on PCs running Win2K or later (Windows Media Player 9). Since (surprisingly) there are a lot of people who don't use Win2K/WinXP and WMP9, such video may be unusable by some who want to watch it.

Over the years, I've used RealMedia, WindowsMedia, Quicktime and a raft of other formats -- but each time I did there was always someone who'd complain that they couldn't view the video clips I put online. Since switching to MPEG, nobody complains and, although it may take a little longer to download than a WMV, AVI or other format, good old MPEG/MPG at least guarantees that the video can be seen by everyone.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:15 PM
gernith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Since switching to MPEG, nobody complains and, although it may take a little longer to download than a WMV, AVI or other format, good old MPEG/MPG at least guarantees that the video can be seen by everyone.
Amen.

WMV is the ugliest format I have seen in years.