Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Best video quality

Old 01-05-2004, 01:29 PM
HoboDog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best video quality

In my search for better video quality I found the following information. I compiled this from all over the Internet and have forgotten the sources already. Some info could be wrong.

Lines of resolution, also known as horizontal resolution, have nothing to do with the number of scanning lines that make up a television picture.
A standard-definition television image is composed of 480 scanning lines; a high-definition image has 1,080.
Lines of resolution, on the other hand, refers to the number of vertical lines that one can actually see across the screen.
Good analog television sets can display around 500, while HDTV's offer at least 1,000.

Scanning lines:
Adaptec Video capture, USB D-1 broadcast resolution (720 x 480)
VHS 352x240 at 29.967fps (Frames Per Second) for NTSC
SVHS 400 lines
8mm 240 lines
Hi8 400 lines
Hi8 Digital 500 lines

Panasonic CX161 Camera 330 lines resolution
Transmitter / Receiver Any image loss?
Standard definition TV 480 lines scanning, 500 lines resolution
High definition TV 1080 lines, 1000 lines resolution

I'm going to use the Panasonic camera and 800mw TX/RX from BlackWidow with a SVHS recorder.
Then digitize it with the Adaptec video capture into MPEG2 format.

Anyone know the differance between MPEG1 and MPEG2? I could do either one.
Now I have to go learn about video compression.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Deltageek2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Best video quality

MPEG1 is a standard that will let you digitize and play back on nearly any computer. The compression squezes the quality out of it to accomodate the poor playback rate of most computers where video is concerned. Like VHS, it is not even close to the best- but everybody can watch it. The files are relatively small and can be uploaded and sent by email or uploaded if they are short (small) enough.

MPEG2 is used to encode to DVD for a much higher quality picture- but the files will be HUGE! It also requires dedicated hardware- an MPEG2 video card- to do it and only those with an MPEG2 card will be able to watch it on their computer.

I started out with a CMOS cam with 370 lines of Hres. The 2/3rd inch CCD I use now puts it to shame- but at the cost of a larger, heavier, more fragile unit. I wanted S-Video quality (over 400 lines Hres) and am getting very good performance and am quite pleased with it. Most consumer camcorders are 1/4" CCDs and don't generate nearly as nice a oicture as this unit does.

Try www.polarisusa.com for a selection of gear from CMOS to 2/3"CCD.
Good luck!
Old 02-03-2004, 03:03 PM
IA-Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can get good quality with S-VHS. You will probably have audio sync problems and the Adaptec capture device (VideOh?) will stop capturing when it gets a video drop out.
It was designed to stop the capture at the end of the tape and a drop out looks the same to it. DV is a much better solution.

Most any computer today (over 333MHz) can play MPEG2 using software only players.

The Canopus ADVC-100 is a much better solution it will convert the S-VHS video (any composite signal) to DV on your computer so you can edit it with most anything.
Most cheap TV tuner cards will capture in raw AVI format at 720x480 if you have a big enough hard drive. Then you can edit and compress to whatever format you want using software.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Deltageek2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

S-VHS is a fine format. I shot with it for years. It is the same quality level as Hi-8 but more robust- Hi-8 drop outs (tape wrinkles or coating irregularies) are horrendous due to the small size of the tape. As far as video drop outs go- just because there will be signal dropouts from the plane, they will still be recorded onto the tape with a continuous control track. The digitizer won't care if it's snow as long as it's RECORDED SNOW and the control track is intact, which it would be regardless of the source you recorded from. If you were digitizing directly from the MW Rx it would be a different story.

There are many video card editing solutions available. I use high end video NLE editing coms at work but just use my ATI All in Wonder card with video in/out for digitizing my personal flying stuff. I use the S-Video input with my Digital 8 cam and I am very satisfied with the quality.

Audio sync can be a problem with some systems. The video and audio go separate paths- and have different delays. I fixed one for a client's project last week that was over 1.5 seconds behind the picture- this high powered corporate instructor looked pretty silly. In airborne video, it doesnt matter as much since there is no lip sync.