Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Transmitter interferes with motor control

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Transmitter interferes with motor control

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 12:41 PM
HoboDog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter interferes with motor control

Yesterday I got a break in the weather and tried my first flight with video. My motor cut out after about 50 feet of flight. It glided in OK. Tried the motor on the ground and it worked. Being the stubborn and some times stupid person I am I tried again. This time I stayed at less then 3/4 throttle. I got 100 feet up and 300 feet away before the motor cut out. It glided in OK. Both times elevator and rudder control remained good. I removed the camera and everything worked normal. Flew fine, long range, no moor cut out.
The plane is a Soarstar. The motor control is a Super 30 Auto Cell Detect from FMA direct. I use Kokam 3 series 1500mah Li-Po for 11.1 volts. The receiver is a Hi-Tek Electron 6.
The video looked great, but short. The video set up is the 600mw transmitter from BlackWidow AV. The Tx antenna is mounted as far from the Electron 6 receiver antenna and motor speed controller as I can get it and still maintain CG.
Can anyone suggest what I need to do? I'm afraid the answer is to get a different speed control and try again. It has to be a Li-Po compatible for low voltage cutoff. Any suggestions on what to get?
[&o] It will work someday...
Old 01-10-2004, 05:15 PM
yb2normal

Default RE: Transmitter interferes with motor control

Hi yukondog,

A couple of questions for you...

Is the electron 6 single or dual conversion?

How are you powering the 600mw transmitter and camera?

What camera are you using, what wires are on the camera, how long are they, and where are they with relationship to the RC rx?

It sounds like your battery is hitting premature cut-off, which seems like it could only happen if you are tapping into the plane's battery supply somehow for the video system.

Bill
Old 01-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Fubar-One

Yeah, I gotta agree with YB Too.
Sounds like either the motor battery is not up to snuff or the speed controller is cutting out too soon. If it was the video system causing problems, you would experience a lot of servo twitching and so on. I have a 900mhz system that absolutely wipes out the 50mhz rx I planned to use on my Kadet Senior. It made the servos cycle like they were having fits. I also used a Spylinker system on an electric glider. My wiring system was pretty ugly and I know it was bleeding RF into the plane's system. The motor wouldnt cut off so much as kept twitching back on after I turned it off to glide plus the elevator and rudder servos would occasionally twitch.
Try flying without the video system turned on and see what happens. I bet the motor still cuts out.
ORIGINAL: yb2normal

Hi yukondog,

A couple of questions for you...

Is the electron 6 single or dual conversion?

How are you powering the 600mw transmitter and camera?

What camera are you using, what wires are on the camera, how long are they, and where are they with relationship to the RC rx?

It sounds like your battery is hitting premature cut-off, which seems like it could only happen if you are tapping into the plane's battery supply somehow for the video system.

Bill
Old 01-10-2004, 10:07 PM
HoboDog

Today I got more video then I know what to do with.
Same set up. This time I limited the throttle to less then half. No motor cut outs.
yb2normal: The Electron6 is dual conversion. It is lighter then the famous 555 with a better range. > 1 mile.
The 600mw TX and camera are powered by their own 700mah 2series 7.4 volt Kokam Li-Po cell. It is regulated to 5vdc by a Kokam VRLI1-LIPO at 2 amps continuous. This regulator board also has 3 LEDs that indicate the charge of the battery. If the yellow comes on I know the battery is between 7.3 and 6 volts. Time to re-charge.
I'm using the Panasonic GP-CX161. I think thats the right number. I bought it from you.
The wires are no longer then the ones supplied. The video system wires are separated from the airplane control and power wires by 4+ inches.
The planes battery is a 3series 11.1 volt 1500mha Kokam Li-Po totally separate from the camera / Tx battery.
Fubar-One: You are right. I get no servo twitching.
I do fly it without the camera and transmitter. I have no problems when I do.
At this point I can fly all I want IF I limit to 1/2 throttle or less. Including great video. It climbs well at half throttle with the 11.1 volt Li-Po. Maintains altitude at 1/4 throttle. I'll settle for that. Just cuts out over 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.
BTW, the BlackWidow video system is performing better then I hoped. It kicks mule! I have a few drop outs when this bad old tree gets between the plane and the receiver. I'm going to move the receiver (easier then moving the tree) and try the patch antenna if I can get someone to point it at the plane for me. So far I've been solo while taping.
Thanks for the help, Have Fun,
Doug
After a little more thought it appears the motor cut outs could be due to the added weight of the camera, battery, and transmitter. Not RF interference. I'm pushing the throttle / motor harder then before. That would explain why it fly well at reduced throttle.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:39 PM
yb2normal

Hi Doug,

Your last comment sounds spot-on... with the extra equipment onboard you are having to fly with higher throttle, and I don't think the kokam cells are designed to take that kind of current. I bet if you tried an 8-pack of nimh hecells (1100mah) you would not have the cutout problems.

Regarding pointing the patch, wait until you see my "man packable" uav setup... it is a bit of a joke really, aimed at the proliferation of companies trying to get in on the homeland security cash cow, but I think it will actually turn out to be a pretty good way to point the antenna. And no, it doesn't involve mounting ANYTHING on top of your head

Thanks for the feedback on the Electron 6, I've looked at those a couple of times but never bought one because I'm at critical mass with my receivers... I have just enough for every plane I fly, and I crash a plane before I buy a new one

Bill