Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Camera/Transmitter/Receiver Package

Old 01-13-2004, 07:47 PM
jjmav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera/Transmitter/Receiver Package

I'm looking for a camera/transmitter/receiver package that can operate up to 3km. Camera and transmitter (airplane payload) can be no more than 2.5 oz or 70 grams. Know of any such packages or have any ideas?
Old 01-13-2004, 09:25 PM
CenTexFlyer

Default RE: Camera/Transmitter/Receiver Package

Not at 3 klics! And I assume you want that to include a power source as well? Don't think you can get there from here - right now, anyway.

CTF
Old 01-13-2004, 09:59 PM
yb2normal

jjmav,

How willing are you to point a receiver antenna?

With a high enough gain receiver antenna, I suspect that 1 watt of transmitter power will get you the range you need.

As long as your 2.5oz budget does NOT include a battery, I bet this is feasible.

Bill
Old 01-13-2004, 11:01 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget an antenna!!! Go to http://www.hamtv.com and http://www.aesham.com
see if they got the stuff.... I am currently using the TXRC5B Tx board with the $99.00 camera. This is about 1.5 watts of power, more then likely over 2 miles range as long as antenna polarization is the same. But this is over your weight limit. Generally higher freq = less range. TXRC5B is 426.25 mhz. Most of the really little stuff is 2.4 ghz. Use a YAGI antenna for your Rx antenna (Ground station Rx that is) and you can get lots more range. Let us know if you find stuff!!
Old 01-14-2004, 12:50 AM
IA-Flyer

What type of a plane are you using jjmav?
I have a 600mW system from blackwidowav and it weighs 50 grams with the panasonic camera and a homemade power cable. Add 1.5oz for lithium battery and voltage regulator, unless you use the planes battery for everything.
With the proper receiver antenna it should make it that far easily.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:05 PM
jjmav

I-A flyer,

I am using an airplane that I and some buddies are making out of carbon fiber. It is working out pretty good! Where did you get your blackwidow system (their website, etc..)? Was it a package (did it come with transmitter reciever and battery - all compatible)? How much did it cost? What kind of range does it have?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:54 PM
IA-Flyer

The plane I built last year uses a very low power Radio Shack video sender, and I was able to get the range you are talking about with it using high gain antennas. But it was heavy at 7+oz flying weight, needed a 12v power supply and the receiver antenna needed to be pointed at the plane. I have a video of it flying at my site.
http://www.rcsites.net/ia-flyer/

I bought the new 600mW Black Widow system here:
http://www.blackwidowav.com/productscore0524.html

And the camera here:
http://www.blackwidowav.com/CX161.html

I made my own cable to connect the TX, camera and battery using a connector like what is on the TX from an old VCR. Or you could use a deans connector.

I’ve just done bench tests and haven’t flown the thing yet, but with the TX in my house and driving around with the receiver, I was able to pick up a signal at 1 mile using the stock TX antenna and the 16dBi receiver antenna I plan on using. The signal was bouncing through and around several houses and obstructions because my house is in the center of town. Line of sight I should get 5+ miles and solid at 2-miles (fingers crossed).

I did a test using a 2 cell 650mA lithium ion pack regulated to 5 volts and it ran for an hour. Bill from black widow has 200mW systems that would be lighter and have less battery draw, and he has a 200mW ready to use package available. He also has wide-angle cameras if you plan on flying at lower altitudes or want a wider field of view.

If you don’t have one already you will need an amateur license to be legal, very easy to get.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 01-14-2004, 10:54 PM
yb2normal

Jim,

I think I read this on another thread but I've lost track of it... where did you get your sector antenna? It seems like it would be really great if you know you'll be ranging out and back in a single direction.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-15-2004, 12:55 AM
IA-Flyer

It came from wearetheborg on ebay, it’s a cushcraft S2401290P.
The antenna has a wide 90-degree H plane but the E plane is only 11-degrees, so it has a nice wide flying area but when the plane is close you have to adjust the elevation all the time (with the low power system I was using).
At longer distance the narrow elevation pattern wasn’t a problem, about the time I started getting nervous about visual contact the video system really kicked in.

Your welcome to borrow one if you want to try it, I have two of them. With the extra power of your systems it may work great all the time.

I have quite a few antennas I need to try out. I have a factory 8.5dBi patch and a 20dBi panel, but they were in use sending this post.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60799.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	90683