Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Which to buy Supercircuits or BlackWidowAV???

Old 01-15-2004, 02:15 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which to buy Supercircuits or BlackWidowAV???

Hi,

I was looking to step up from the Hong Kong ebay systems and was looking at the BlackWidowAV and Supercircuits ready to fly systems.

I purchased the demonstration video from Supercircuits and liked the quality of the image and the strong signal strength that allows a long range (1-2 miles). Their system is 450 milliwatts. I do know that they are knocked because their transmitter requires 12V.

From reading the posts, I know this forum seems to favor BlackWidowAV but I'm concerned that the 200mw BlackWidowAV ready to fly system will be lacking in range as compared to Supercircuits (i.e. 200mw versus 450mw). (I do realize that the 5V transmitter is a big plus)

Does anybody know the effective range of the BlackWidow 200mw ready to fly system? Which should I buy?

-Thanks for your input :-),

Michael
Old 01-15-2004, 04:14 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Which to buy Supercircuits or BlackWidowAV???

Hi Michael,

I'll let others pipe in with their real life experience with the RTF system, but I did want to say that I have a 600mw "ready-to-fly" system in the works, if you decide you need that much power, and don't wish to 'roll your own'.

Take care,
Bill
Black Widow A/V, LLC
Old 01-15-2004, 05:48 PM
W4UAV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BLACKWIDOW AV!!!!!

I dont work for them, but my experience has been excellent with their products.

Supercircuits is way overpriced, I dont even what to try the Spylinker garbage!

Also, get a ham license. Its best to be legal on these frequencies!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the 900mhz system from Supercircuits installed in a Kadet Senior ARF. I am actually less than impressed with it. Great camera but the range they claim is pure BS so far. All their video in the demo was shot using a Yagi antenna and not the dipole whip that comes with the system. We do have a yagi antenna to try but havent had a chance to try it yet. One problem is that the one we have is a good 6 feet long! Havent been willing to shell out $200 for the short Supercircuits one. I havent given up on it yet. I have video, if you have broadband or a lot of time to download it, on my [link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/movies.html]website[/link] using this system.
I have also just purchased one of the 200mw 5volt systems from BlackwidowAV with a patch antenna (boy, I wish I had waited to order that antenna, Bill! )and hope to get a chance to experiment with it soon. Mostly I was after the small size and capability of using either an rx pack or Li-Po pack to power it, keeping it light enough for small electric and slope glider applications.
Personally, I think I would go for the BlackwidowAV systems over the Supercircuit systems both for the lower price and the 5v power.
He also ships the stuff out fast!
ORIGINAL: cobratraxxas69

Hi,

I was looking to step up from the Hong Kong ebay systems and was looking at the BlackWidowAV and Supercircuits ready to fly systems.

I purchased the demonstration video from Supercircuits and liked the quality of the image and the strong signal strength that allows a long range (1-2 miles). Their system is 450 milliwatts. I do know that they are knocked because their transmitter requires 12V.

From reading the posts, I know this forum seems to favor BlackWidowAV but I'm concerned that the 200mw BlackWidowAV ready to fly system will be lacking in range as compared to Supercircuits (i.e. 200mw versus 450mw). (I do realize that the 5V transmitter is a big plus)

Does anybody know the effective range of the BlackWidow 200mw ready to fly system? Which should I buy?

-Thanks for your input :-),

Michael
Old 01-15-2004, 10:12 PM
CenTexFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm with Fubar on this one.

I ordered that system from Supercircuits and from the first flight I was disappointed. Sent it back because something just HAD to be wrong. Got the new one back and it was the same deal. Lots of drop-outs, MPI, and just overall poor quality. I will say one thing for SuperCircuits.... they didn't say a word and just refunded my money.

I'm still looking for someone around here with a frequency counter so I can check the DashCam unit from 2CoolRC. As I stated in my review, I HOPE it's legal because I was impressed with the range. The camera would have to be changed out, but that's easy....

CTF
Old 01-17-2004, 01:53 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From what I have heard in the "HAM" circles, Super Circuits is not highly regarded. Try getting equipment from 'Reputable" places, and they ask you for your call sign... ie. get a ham license!! thenyou can run POWER!!! and run legal. I have read so much about the various systems for sale, on who knows what frequency?!?!? Get your HAM ticket, and shop here..... http://www.hamtv.com and get accessories here... http://www.aesham.com

KG6QQG
Old 01-17-2004, 06:46 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mithrandir
Get your HAM ticket, and shop here..... http://www.hamtv.com and get accessories here... http://www.aesham.com
mithrandir, have you had a chance to fly your system yet? I'd be curious to see your results, and maybe some pictures of your installation.

Regards,
Bill