Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

2.4GHZ or 900Mhz Which is best?

Old 01-17-2004, 03:19 AM
VULTCH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 2.4GHZ or 900Mhz Which is best?

I'm looking to purchase a video system but live in a very mountainous region. Rule of thumb says go with a 900mhz system but sometimes with new technology things change. Blackwidow will be my first choice. Anyone care to tell of their experience? Thanks Vultch
Old 01-17-2004, 03:52 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 2.4GHZ or 900Mhz Which is best?

Get your ham license and go 426.25 mhz.....
http://www.hamtv.com

KG6QQG
Old 01-17-2004, 11:32 AM
VULTCH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't need a ham license as I have a General Class Radiotelephone license. I could suggest everyone to get this license but it is a little harder to obtain. While there are many posts concerning a ham license you fail to mention the advantages of the license. First it means you are legal, second you get educated on the law concerning radio transmission, and some electronics basics. Too many people try to tweak transmitters not realizing that if done incorrectly you lose performance and can cause interference not only on the transmitter band you are operating but other frequencies that are harmonics of the one they are using.
I have high regards for all the HAM operators out there. They have pioneered many paths which have brought us to todays technology.The ARRL manual is very good and full of information.
Now that all that is said, back to my question. Have you tried 426.25 MHZ in an environment with MANY reflections?
Old 01-17-2004, 12:15 PM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your intent is to fly to the back side of the mountain or will have obstructions, then none of the UHF/microwave solutions will work well. Even the old 430Mhz AM ATV stuff (despite the higher efficiency of its lower operating freq). However, if your mountains are in the background, and the flying area is open with clear LOS, then your options are pretty wide.

The nice thing with the 2.4Ghz systems is that they represent the latest technology. The high quality systems will offer very good Rx sensitivity and tiny Tx's. Power requirements are convenient too (often 5V). Lastly, the antenna sizes are 1/5 of a 430Mhz system and 1/3 of a 900mhz. So, mounting the aerial on a model is easier and allows more flexibility to ensure an effective position.

The 900Mhz systems represent slightly earlier wireless video designs and so their designs are lagging in technology. But, a high quality system will theoretically outperform a 2.4Ghz system, especially in a RF reflective environment. Most of the 900Mhz models are stuck in the 12V relm (I prefer the 5V systems since they tend to be more efficient at power consumption).

The 434Mhz systems are popular with the ham ATV folks (but many are moving up to the higher freqs). But of the three wireless video RF bands, these suffer the worse from color degradation due to the AM operation (the FM signals tolerate signal issues better). The degradation is the fault of our R/C wireless app, where one end is moving about the sky. The 434Mhz systems also represent the oldest technology and tend to be much larger and heavier than the other choices.

The ideal setup would probably be 900Mhz. However, I think you will be VERY happy with a quality 2.4Ghz system. You will especially like the smaller antenna. With a circular polarized patch on the Rx you should have good results.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:24 PM
VULTCH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Mr.rc-cam. I was thinking on the same line.I like the compactness of the 2.4ghz systems as you mentioned. I always like to get advice from a "hands on" perspective. My motto is " Learn from others mistakes"
Old 01-17-2004, 06:44 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mithrandir
Get your ham license and go 426.25 mhz.....
http://www.hamtv.com
mithrandir, I know you recently bought one of these systems, have you had a chance to fly it yet, and if so, can we some of the resulting videos?

Regards,
Bill
Old 02-18-2004, 12:39 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry... no progress yet... been too busy at work and finishing up a Field and Bench review for Model Airplane News.... That is done now so I can resume Video adventure... I will keep yuh'all posted on my progress...

ciao

mith
Old 02-19-2004, 02:20 AM
lvspark

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is some BWAV 900mhz for sale here.. They work pretty good, but some background noise on audio channel was causing problems with telemetry.
http://www.froghollowrc.com/usedstuff.htm

With either system (900 or 2.4), line of sight is a must IMO.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 PM
billmi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: VULTCH

I don't need a ham license as I have a General Class Radiotelephone license. I could suggest everyone to get this license but it is a little harder to obtain.
What do you need for that license?
Does that license allow for commercial applications (i.e. it's illegal to operate for financial gain under the HAM license, so arial photography for media/news/adversiting is right out.)
Old 02-20-2004, 12:36 AM
VULTCH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can check out the info at.wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/pg.html Note; This license does not replace a ham license for ham users. It does cover most radio/telephone/video operations including commercial.