Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Recording and compression, yb2normal

Old 01-21-2004, 03:52 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Recording and compression, yb2normal

Bill,

What do you use to record your video and how do you compress it for posting? Your results are so good I would like to get and use all the same stuff as you.

What cameras did you use in the Homer video and did you use neutral density filrters on the lenes? At one point the CCD camera was pointed right at the sun and you only got a white line but no smear or color changes.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 11:58 PM
yb2normal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Recording and compression, yb2normal

The camera was my KX121/115 Superwide model. There was no filter over the lense.

With regards to my recording setup, keep in mind that it all starts with the right camera and transmitter setup. GIGO, as they say.

The video is recorded to a Sony TRV230 digital camcorder via it's analog input. When I get home, I download the video to my firewire equipped Dell desktop. I capture at full DV quality into Studio 8.

Next, I edit the video down to 30 seconds or there-abouts, and finally I render the clip for the internet. I usually select a frame size of around 320 x 280. Then I start tweaking the bitrate so that I end up with a file of about 5 meg, although lately I've let that slip up toward 10 meg now that I pay for my webspace and my host doesn't impose a 5 meg limit on file sizes.

Different videos will benefit from different frame sizes and bitrates, so a lot of it is just rendering the file at different settings and seeing what you get!

Bill
Old 01-22-2004, 08:23 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Recording and compression, yb2normal

Thanks Bill.