Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Deadstick video

Old 02-08-2004, 12:23 PM
stlmusic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Deadstick video

It's not the best camera system you can buy but it serves its purpose. In this video I took the airplane up to altitude and killed the engine in order to get some audio of the wind across the airplane. I should have held the slip at the ending a little longer because I forced the landing so I wouldn't have to walk as far. Not my best landing but still good video.
Click [link=http://www.stlmusic.com/videos/dead%20stick.wmv]here[/link] for video. 16.7 MB (need broadband)
Old 02-08-2004, 01:54 PM
aaron2874

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Deadstick video

That was a good video and the signal held in there just fine I thought.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sorry, I guess I missed it. What was wrong with that landing? Looked like a near perfect wheel landing to me. Nice smooth transition from the slip too.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:18 PM
stlmusic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the comment. Let me give you a link to another video that shows better landings, although there are a few with a bounce or two. [link=http://www.stlmusic.com/videos/touchandgos.wmv]Touch and go video[/link]. (28 MB - broadband needed) Same airplane but on a different day where the sky wasn't so hazy. The camera is attached to the fuselage which is why you see the waves in the video at high throttle. I tried to isolate the camera from the airframe but it did not seem to improve anything. I only fly at full throttle for takeoff anyway. I wish I had a better camera than CMOS.

I don't know how long I'll be able to keep these two videos online since it eats up my monthly bandwidth that I'm allowed for my website. I suggest right clicking the links and saving the files if you wish to view them more than once since the files might only be available for a couple of days.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:15 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great Stuff keep up the work.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks like it serves its purpose quite well!
Great video. I dig how the wind noise picks up and decreases as the plane changes attitude and direction.
ORIGINAL: stlmusic

It's not the best camera system you can buy but it serves its purpose. In this video I took the airplane up to altitude and killed the engine in order to get some audio of the wind across the airplane. I should have held the slip at the ending a little longer because I forced the landing so I wouldn't have to walk as far. Not my best landing but still good video.
Click [link=http://www.stlmusic.com/videos/dead%20stick.wmv]here[/link] for video. 16.7 MB (need broadband)
Old 02-09-2004, 08:25 PM
hawkrider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is the first video on a Rearwin Speedster with cub gear??? Very nice video....
Old 02-09-2004, 09:05 PM
stlmusic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good eye on the airplane. Yes, it is a Rearwin. The original fiberglass gear was a piece of junk. All I ever did was make smooth landings and the gear gave out one day. Looking at the glass inside the gear, you could see that the fibers were dry. Since the faulty gear broke I decided to make a better landing gear out of piano wire. In my opinion it looks and responds much better than the fiberglass landing gear. It's really not Cub gear but it looks like it could be.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:13 PM
hawkrider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought so... Well I just smacked mine into a tree... Jan 1st 04... just got my G23 running very nicely... new field and wham caught the wing tip... spun straight down and did enough damage that I'm afraid to look at it too closely as I may get even more discouraged... very nice slow flying plane... touch and goes are sweet... I agree the gear is terrible and the wheels are worse...like bricks...
Old 02-09-2004, 09:25 PM
stlmusic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love flying mine. It's the only airplane I fly now even though I have 3 other very nice airplanes ready to fly. I just like the simplicity of gas over glow. My brother gave me the airplane for Christmas a few years ago and sent the engine for my birthday. I am using a U.S. 41cc, which is plenty of power for the airplane. I personally would have chosen a smaller engine but when you get it for free, you use it. It turns out the weight for the 41cc is the same as the 25cc and 35cc U.S. engine so I don't feel bad about the extra weight. I haven't been too impressed with the construction of the airplane but since it flys so nice, it's easy to overlook these flaws. It would make a great tow plane for gliders, which is my next adventure with this plane.

I never flew with the stock wheels. I just couldn't stand the looks of them. I started with the large heavy duty Trexler tires which looked great, but did not hold up as well as I would have liked. I switched to the 6" dubro tires. They are heavier but work much better with my new gear. The Trexler tires were needed for the extra cushion when I was using the fiberglass landing gear.