Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Digital Camera

Old 02-11-2004, 07:41 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Digital Camera

Thinking of a 3+ megepixel camera like the sony cybershot to mount with a servo actuator. Will the vibration be as critical as with video setups.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Digital Camera

Could be.
My first attempts at AP used a Canon 35mm mounted inside a Right Flyer 40T trainer looking out along the left wing. I never did get a sharp shot. I balanced props, added and subtracted foam, even rebuilt the original firewall and installed Sullivan anti-vibration mounts for the .46LA engine I was using. Nothing worked. Finally scrapped it. Plane was a pig anyway.
ORIGINAL: SeacretsOceanCity

Thinking of a 3+ megepixel camera like the sony cybershot to mount with a servo actuator. Will the vibration be as critical as with video setups.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:33 PM
rbort
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not sure if there is a right answer to this, but, shutting the engine off certainly does cure all vibration problems! Nice photos, except the only bummer is that you are always descending to a landing. Maybe an on-board electric start might be the best answer - shutdown, snap crisp photos, restart, and on your way again.

Other than that, has anyone been able to mount a digital camera and get sharp pictures with the engine running?

-=>Raja.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:17 PM
crashone
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you buy digital camera with manual shutter speed control, you might avoid the viberation problem by setting higher speed.
During 1999, I took many good picture by using 35 mm camera (around $40) on my plane (with ST G40 engine). Later, I changed to digital camera on my plane (with ST G75) engine, I got good quality picture only engine was shut down. Recently, I used Canon AE-1 (heavy) and got good picture at higher speed.