Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Sturgeon Spearing

Old 02-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Rj-TailSpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sturgeon Spearing

Last Saturday I flew for the first time in months. I went out on Lake Winnebago on the opening day of Sturgeon Spearing season. I flew one flight... It was great and a nice landing. The snow was very deep on the lake so I had to stay close to the established roadways. The ice this year was excellent. We could have driven across the lake. After the flight, we went back to a weigh station, a guy speared a 77" 142lbs monster sturgeon... the biggest I have ever seen. What an amazing sight! It looked like a large shark! I used my plane as a camcorder to walk around the beast in the back of a pickemtruck. People thought I was nutz. One drunk, probably the guy who speared the beast, tried to take my plane out of my hands. Sturgeon Spearers??? I guess another one of 184lbs was taken toward the South end of the lake. Which was a new record. The DNR shut down the season mid day on Sunday... too many were speared. Very short season I must say! I plan on posted the video soon.

Rob