Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

What to use to watch video

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:15 PM
GTac01
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use to watch video

What can can i use to watch the wireless video in the field. And what to use to record it if i wanted to.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:36 AM
yb2normal

Default RE: What to use to watch video

The best way to record at the field is on a digital camcorder that has analog inputs.

I use the Sony TRV22 and it is working great so far.

Here's a still video frame from a video I shot today:

Regards,
Bill
Old 02-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I use both the LCD screen on my Sony TRV120 camcorder and I also bring along a small 12v black and white TV. The TV is for spectators. Generally I dont see what I shot till I get home. My father monitors the camcorder screen and gives me feedback during the flight.
ORIGINAL: GTac01

What can can i use to watch the wireless video in the field. And what to use to record it if i wanted to.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:46 AM
accipiterbadass

hi there, only being new to all of this i was too asking myself that !
I thought a portable VCR/TV would do the trick! I have found some on ebay , cheaper that buying a cam corder!
It can run off dc adaptors or 12v car plug! [link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38650&item=2459173342&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT[/link] dont know if they record or even have av inputs , but i have sent an email asking will get back to you1
Old 02-17-2004, 04:00 PM
yb2normal

It says in the text of the ad that it is a VCP which is Video Cassette Player... versus VCR, Video Cassette Recorder.

Looks like you can't record to it.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:10 PM
W4UAV

NO! Skip the TV/VCR route all together! I cannot stress this enough!
You will be in for headaches galore! Digital camcorders are coming down in price,
make sure it has analog AV inputs!

I use the Canon ZR60, works great!!
ORIGINAL: accipiterbadass

I thought a portable VCR/TV would do the trick! I have found some on ebay , cheaper that buying a cam corder!
Old 02-17-2004, 06:26 PM
GTac01
Banned

The canon is for $270 at ebay, plus $300 for the video setup for the plane. Yb2normal, what video setup do you have on your plane?
Also, whats the cheapest digital camcorder i can get?
Old 02-17-2004, 06:49 PM
IA-Flyer

Wow the color in that screen cap is incredible!
When do we get to see the video?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:00 PM
yb2normal

Well, here is a very short clip of my hand catch, it doesn't include the section from the screen shot above, but you can still see the pretty sky

[link=http://www.yb2normal.com/thawkpark1.zip]Right Click and Save (2.5megs)[/link]

Bill
Old 02-17-2004, 09:55 PM
GTac01
Banned

Y2B what cam is that!?? what have you tried with it, whats your opinion.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:23 PM
GTac01
Banned

Oh nvm. Im also saving for one of your systems YB2normal.
Im specifically saving for this:
Panasonic CX161 CCD Camera-NTSC $85.00 USD
2.4ghz 600mw Transmitter/Receiver Set SILVER Reciever $189.00 USD
Shipping, tax, and handling costs will be calculated upon checkout. Amount $274.00 USD

AND i've got alot of questions

Anything missing? have you tried this specific system, how good would it work?
How would i hook audio up to [link=http://www.blackwidowav.com/bwav24600txhandpinch1.jpg]This transmitter[/link] , the 200mw version already comes with a mic, why doesnt the 600mw version come with it? . How far does the 600mw version and the 200mw version reach, oh and if you know, how far does the radio that controls the airplane reach?

Thanks, and I hope you can help me.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:40 AM
yb2normal

Panasonic CX161 CCD Camera-NTSC
2.4ghz 600mw Transmitter/Receiver Set SILVER Reciever
Anything missing?
I would suggest the 8dbi patch antenna also.

have you tried this specific system, how good would it work?
It works fine. More than fine actually, it is really a LOT more power than most people need. Fubar can attest to the fact that the 200mw unit gets the job done 90% of the time.

How would i hook audio up to <the 600mw transmitter>
You'll need a 'line level' microphone which you can then attach to the audio input of the transmitter.

the 200mw version already comes with a mic, why doesnt the 600mw version come with it?
Because the factory did not design one in (and I'm not sure why!)

How far does the 600mw version and the 200mw version reach, oh and if you know, how far does the radio that controls the airplane reach?
All other things being equal, you can expect about 1.7 times more range from the 600mw transmitter.

The range of your radio control system is at least as far as you can see your plane, and I don't suggest flying farther away than that!

Bill
Old 02-18-2004, 03:16 PM
GTac01
Banned

THANKS!! now, where is that patch antenna...
Old 02-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Fubar-One

Look under accesories on the BWAV site. The antenna works wonderfully. I have the 200mw system and I had primo reception with that antenna for as far out as I was willing to fly the plane.
I also was aiming it down a pretty narrow access way with trees lining both sides of the field. The antenna was set up on one side so it was pretty much looking down along one of the tree lines.
[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/USBW1.wmv]Ultra Stick/Black Widow One[/link]
A lower res version is at:
[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/USBW2.wmv]Ultra Stick/Black Widow Two[/link]

I will be buying a second cam and tx soon and really cant decide between another 200mw tx or the 600mw. VERY happy with the 200, I gotta say!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
GTac01
Banned

How bad is it with jus the dipoles?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:08 PM
stevennh

Bill just a quick question, do you sell just the TX? If I add another plane to my fleet of one, it would be nice to just get another TX and camera. I am thinking about a larger plane to get more stable shots.

BTW, I mounted the camera and TX on my Aerobird tonight and did a quick check of the image quality, wow does it look good. I just need my s_bec now to complete the job and get it in the air. I ended up building a small "L" bracket from some light gadge steel I had in my basement. I drilled holes in it and my wing to tie wrap the camera to the underside. The camera is mounted on the "L" bracket with some spacers to get the focus right. I think it should work OK and will protect the camera from shock without enclosing it.

Steve
Old 02-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Fubar-One

If you put the rx with the dipole up on a length of mast, the higher the better, the results will be very good. I got the patch because I am after some killer footage shot using an Ultra Stick 60 and some slope combat. In both cases there will be a lot of rolling and looping of the video platform which means the polarization changes a lot. Since the patch antenna has circular polarization, it doesnt care how many snap rolls, etc I do.
I have to find the original footage I shot but the results with the dipole were fine too, even at a distance. The dipole antenna was only about 5' off the ground and positioned next to a line of trees. I just got minor dropouts when the tumbling started.
If you are going to shoot video doing normal level flight, then the dipole would probably be fine.[8D]
ORIGINAL: GTac01

How bad is it with jus the dipoles?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:50 AM
CenTexFlyer

ORIGINAL: KE4UVQ

NO! Skip the TV/VCR route all together! I cannot stress this enough!
You will be in for headaches galore! Digital camcorders are coming down in price,
make sure it has analog AV inputs!

I use the Canon ZR60, works great!!
Hmmmm.....

I use a 13" color Samsung TV/VCR to record every flight I make. My clients love watching it while I fly and I also use it to show the aerial digital stills I take with my Nikon. I got it at Target for $80 and it works like a champ! Got it and my receiver all bundled up in a nice dual voltage package that sits quite nicely next to the pilots console on the flight deck of my truck.

CTF
Old 02-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Rj-TailSpin

I also use a small TV for viewing in the field. Mine cost way too much... maybe that's my I'm broke-grin! It's a DVD/TV Toshiba combo (last year price $400). I figured I would be demonstrating video burnt on DVD eventually... so I purchased the DVD all in one player for mobility. It has 500 lines of resolution... really sharp picture and it can be viewed in near-full sunlight. I currently record video on a S-VHS recorder which matches the 400 line CCD camera in my plane. Works well.
Rob
Old 02-19-2004, 07:36 PM
accipiterbadass

I use a 13" color Samsung TV/VCR to record every flight I make. My clients love watching it while I fly ........
so it can be done I should have asked why it was not a great idea. I was thinking that i could use it to record onto vhs,
and then burn on to dvd! [just recently bought a dvd burner!] so you have no problems with your tv/vcr combo? do you have any suggestions or what model is your combo?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:17 PM
yb2normal

ORIGINAL: stevennh
Bill just a quick question, do you sell just the TX? If I add another plane to my fleet of one, it would be nice to just get another TX and camera. I am thinking about a larger plane to get more stable shots.
I sure do, email me and we'll work out the details.

I don't offer them directly on the website because I try to sell only to folks who already have at least one of my receivers (to guarantee compatibility).

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-19-2004, 09:09 PM
IA-Flyer

Accipiterbadass,

Do you have a capture card to get the VHS video into your computer?
Old 02-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Rj-TailSpin

VHS will work, but you won't be able to get the resolution to record good DVDs. The rez of a standard VHS recorder is only about 230 lines. A far cry less than a DVD at approximately 500 lines. You can pickup a S-VHS recorder for $150. At 400 lines... it will present better compatibility with your new DVD recorder. You might want to skip the "VHS" step all together and get a MiniDV recorder which is the best possible solution.

Robert
Old 02-20-2004, 07:26 AM
accipiterbadass

Do you have a capture card to get the VHS video into your computer?
no i don't have a card for that, i don't think my laptop will take one.
Rj-TailSpin - I would like to skip the vhs all together , Yesterday i bid on a sony trv22 but missed out by $2 it went for us$178 will have to keep looking can you suggest any compatible cameras?besides the ones already quoted in this forum.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:54 AM
yb2normal

Yesterday i bid on a sony trv22 but missed out by $2
What a bummer! $178!!!

I've used the trv22 a couple times in the field now and it is a fine unit. My only complaint, and this seems to be true of most camcorders, is the lcd washes out pretty bad in full sunlight. Be prepared to rig a small sunshade so you can see the lcd.

Regards,
Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.