Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Dome Camera Protector

Old 02-22-2004, 11:21 PM
elevator_up

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dome Camera Protector

I’m building a new Pan/Tilt and looking for your suggestions on a dome shaped camera protector. I’d like to cover the camera, on the underside of the plane with one of those domed (semi-circular) units. In the past I’ve seen a few of them for sale but they were always, either too big, too expensive, or somehow not just right.

I’m wondering if anyone has come up with an ingenious method to come up with one of these. I’m thinking something like this…
1) I recall Radio shack and other places have these mini RC cars, (zip zaps ??), that come in a domed top package. Maybe take the package from your kid and cut the top off to the right size. Looks clear enough.
2) Cut a gerbil ball in half (not that ball, his toy play ball !! ), but not sure if it would be clear enough see though undistorted

Anybody have any ideas or experience with this ?

Oh, and please don’t give me a Hobby Lobby suggestion, especially if it’s a no signature delivery. I empathize with Fubar and wish him luck !

Thanks all !
Old 02-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Deltageek2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dome Camera Protector

It was looking bad for our hamster friend there for a sec...

Looking thru anything other than optical grade material is not a good idea. The reflections and distortion would destroy the performance of the camera. You just can't beat air! I am using a 2/3" CCD camera with faboo resolution- 470 H lines- but its a bit moosey and misshapen for dangling out there in the breeze!

I built the cam into the nose of my Porter and it peeks thru the front, just recessed enough for protection. The main idea was a good pilots eye view for using a Head Mounted Monitor to go RPV! It is awesome to fly it "under the hood" with the view out the nose of the Porter. Next we'll have downlinked instrument readouts that are superimposed over the video picture for virtual instruments to fly by. I spent much of the day flying and soaring today so I am stoked.

Next project: rocket powered foam or fiberglas "jet" with a cam onboard. Why grind our way up there when we could be at 600 ft in a few seconds- straight up? Once there, smooth gliding- no vibes, lighter weight with no motor or heavy battery.

Ahhhh... To fly in the 21st Century!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:50 AM
CenTexFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hobby Lobby (the craft store) has clear plastic eggs and balls like the candy easter eggs we used to get. They are pretty strong and would stand some abuse, but as Deltageek said, the distortions would ruin your AP. I got some and dremeled a hole in them that the lens could peek out of. Streamlined things nicely and still offered the cam some protection.

CTF
Old 02-23-2004, 01:09 PM
lvspark

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ask and ye shall receive!
[link=http://www.cctvwholesale.com/Catalog/Housings_&_Mounts/Dome/ABS_::_Polycarbonate_::_Composite.html]try this[/link]