Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Wireless video on a turbine jet??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 12:22 PM
SAP_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless video on a turbine jet??

Hi.
I want to fit a wireless video system on a jet. The jet I am thinking of putting it in is a F-15. I have no experience with this, so some good advice from you guys are needed.

I want a system with good effective range since we use a lot of space when flying the jets. Weight is not a problem as long as it weighs under say 1/2 kg or 1 pound. for the camera, RX and battery.
Also... Does these system have any chance on interfering whit the control signals?? I use the 35 mHz. band here in Norway.

Do you have any suggestions and links to some companies that sells it for me??
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wireless video on a turbine jet??

I don't have a camera system, but have been in the forum section a while so I can tell you some things.
I don't know about norway, but in the US, 1.2GHz cameras are on illegal frequencies. This mught be different in norway though. I have no idea about this, but the high speeds of the jet might loose the signal, or at least weaken it. You didn't specify a budget, and there are cameras of all different prices. From EbaY.com $20 ones, to blackwidowav.com $300 ones. You also get what you pay for. The more you pay, the higher the quality.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Well, if you are into jets, I doubt that a BlackwidowAV system would be much of a blow to your wallet. They work great also!
Check em out at BlackwidowAV.com
I have one of the 200mw 5volt systems that I power with a 2C 1020mAh LiPo pack. That particular pack is overkill for the video system actually. I should have gone for a 700mAh pack instead. Probably still will.

ORIGINAL: SAP_2000

Hi.
I want to fit a wireless video system on a jet. The jet I am thinking of putting it in is a F-15. I have no experience with this, so some good advice from you guys are needed.

I want a system with good effective range since we use a lot of space when flying the jets. Weight is not a problem as long as it weighs under say 1/2 kg or 1 pound. for the camera, RX and battery.
Also... Does these system have any chance on interfering whit the control signals?? I use the 35 mHz. band here in Norway.

Do you have any suggestions and links to some companies that sells it for me??
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right, what he said.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:51 AM
SAP_2000

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

Well, if you are into jets, I doubt that a BlackwidowAV system would be much of a blow to your wallet. They work great also!
I have one of the 200mw 5volt systems that I power with a 2C 1020mAh LiPo pack. That particular pack is overkill for the video system actually. I should have gone for a 700mAh pack instead. Probably still will.
Hi and thanks for your reply!
300$ is ok by me. I have been to the blackwidow site. I am a litte bit conserned that 200mv is not enough since the the plane is often up to 2,500 feet away...? What is the effective range on that system? Will I have a clear picture from that far away?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I honestly cant say what the effective range for the 200mw system is but I have flown it on the back of my Ultra Stick 60 out about as far as I ever dared to fly a plane with no LOS of any kind. Same with altitude at least as far as I have flown a power plane.
I am using the patch antenna and it rocks.
He also sells a 600mw system but I have no experience with that particular tx.
[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/usbw1.wmv]Ultra Stick BWAV Movie[/link]
This is the most wring it out footage I have to date. The patch antenna was set up on a standard camera tripod near one corner of the field.
ORIGINAL: SAP_2000

ORIGINAL: Fubar-One

Hi and thanks for your reply!
300$ is ok by me. I have been to the blackwidow site. I am a litte bit conserned that 200mv is not enough since the the plane is often up to 2,500 feet away...? What is the effective range on that system? Will I have a clear picture from that far away?
Old 03-06-2004, 08:38 AM
stevennh

I have had very good results with the 200mw system as well, but given that weight is not an issue, I would go for the 600mw system. the Reciever, antennas and camera would all be the same, just more power on the transmitter. I went with the 200mw unit due to weight and power concerns, but why not 600mw if you have the power and can lift it? The cost difference is small.

Steve
Old 03-06-2004, 05:14 PM
yb2normal

I too would suggest the 600mw unit.

As a matter of fact, I am entering a beta period for a 'ready-to-fly' system based on the 600mw transmitter. Email or PM me and hopefully we can work something out.

Regards,
Bill
Black Widow AV