Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Need a nice digital camera for plane(help)

Old 03-16-2004, 03:42 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need a nice digital camera for plane(help)

Can someone please recommend a nice digital camera for my plane along the lines of the sony U30 or better that can be modified, as with the aiptek I am ready to move on from it ,I want crisp clarity in the 2 to 4 megapixel range. Thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 04:25 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Need a nice digital camera for plane(help)

ORIGINAL: SeacretsOceanCity

Can someone please recommend a nice digital camera for my plane along the lines of the sony U30 or better that can be modified, as with the aiptek I am ready to move on from it ,I want crisp clarity in the 2 to 4 megapixel range. Thanks
I have a 4 MP camera that I was going to suggest to you until I figured it was going to be strapped to a plane. I don't think you may want to strap this to your plane. I just bought a Canon A80 which is a 4MP, but it cost about double what the Sony U-30 cost, so I'm sure that is out of the question now. I wouldn't strap it to a plane. May be too heavy anyway for your intended use.

Old 03-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Myron

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you looking for a good deal on a digital camera go to "www.evertek.com" and scroll down to the digital cameras.... You can order online....

Myron
Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 PM
William Bosco

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I find the Pentax Optio S 3.2 MP camera to be the perfect little camera. I use it on land and in the air. It produces very high quality pictures. I use a hitec Flsch 5X radio to fly a Hobby Lobby Miss 2 with an alternate 2 meter glider wing. Eppler 193 airfoil. The camera mounts safely INSIDE the fuselage and is activated with channel 5 flap switch to a small servo mounted on a stick(a la yb2normal) rubberbanded to camera. I'm sooo happy with this safe and useful AP system. Thanks to Bill at Black Widow for help , service and quality products. Also thanks to the guys at Hobby Lobby. Ask them if you can get the Miss 2 with a 2 meter wing instead of the shorter one. Or, have both as I have for different occassions. The Axi 280816(which is the smallest Axi motor) on an 8cell 1200 nimh battery and 9/6 folding prop. Pleanty of power, lots of flight time, great float l/d. I hand launch this set up and either land on flat surface or float it in and dump it. ( grassy fields) If you do get the Miss 2 be sure to replace the landing gear wire with some real tough hobby wire.

Willie
Old 03-26-2004, 03:25 AM
Red B.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you are on the lookout for an inexpensive, rather rugged camera I suggest you have a look at the Sony DSC-P32 digicam (review: [link=http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/p32.html]http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/p32.html[/link]).

I bought mine a month ago with the intention to put it in a Piper Cub that is presently under construction. I have found it to give good quality pictures and its ability to shoot movie clips in 640x480 resolution is a great thing (slightly less than 6 minutes with a 128 MB memory stick). The movie clips are shot with 16 fps if I remember correctly. Perhaps never camera models will shoot with a full 24 fps.

Compared to other Sony models this camera is rather small and ligth.

A nice feature is the possibility to lock the autofucus at infinity (or closer if needed). In this mode the shutter delay is not noticable and faster than any other digicam that I have used. In my case the shutter will be operated by a servo mounted on top of the camera using double sided foam tape.

The fixed focal length (approximately equal to a 33 mm lens on a traditional 24x36 camera) does not protrude outside the body of the camera which is a nice thing when it comes to mounting it in an aircraft. It also means that there are less parts that can break. It's powerd by 2 ordinary AA NimH batteries which are good for approximately 2 hours continous operation with the LCD screen on and much more with the screen off.

If your budget is not as tight as mine I sugggest you have a look at the Canon Powershot SD10 [link=http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sd10.html]http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sd10.html[/link].

Dislikes: The only thing so far is the auto-power-off function that shuts the camera down after 5 minutes (if I remember correctly) if no controls have been touched. In practice I dont think this will be much of a problem since I expect to shoot more than 1 picture per 5 minute, but it would have been nice if this function could be deactivated.

/Red B.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:23 AM
uniquewon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you go take a look at www.ezonemag.com, the Aerial Photography forum or the electric for sale forum, you will find I have a complete setup for sale, all you need is a SS and away you go. It's complete, even has the mount and shutter servo along with pictures and a sample.

Go take a look - not to take away anything from this forum.....

Nikon 885 is the camera
Old 03-27-2004, 10:18 AM
SeacretsOceanCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, for all the input I have decided to go with the Cannon A70 and 2/ 256Meg memory cards
and some high capacity rechargeable batteries SANYO. I could'nt see going for the A80) for this application (AP).Thanks again.The A70 should do .
Old 03-27-2004, 02:19 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SeacretsOceanCity, this is the setup I have right now for my A80 I was telling you about.

This setup last for an extremely long time. I will run out of space on my card before the batteries are low. On the lowest setting with the card I have currently, I am able to get 338 photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13825.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	115947