Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

HOw to downsize/emulate video files

Old 03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOw to downsize/emulate video files

I have a 198 MEG video of my 40%, in MPG format, How do I re-do it into WMV or a smaller format, that take sup less spzce. Its in 320x240 size and 16 bit audio.

TIA
Old 03-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: HOw to downsize/emulate video files

depends on what program you are using to re-render. Using Pinnacle Systems Studio 8, I just took the 300+ meg mpeg movie I had and did the Make Movie bit to a wmv format. Got it down to 26 megs, still pretty large but quite a bit smaller than it was.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:38 PM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: HOw to downsize/emulate video files

You might want to avoid using .WMV format if you plan to post your video to the Net or want to burn it to VCD or DVD disk later.

Get TMPGEnc (it's a free download) and try playing with lower-bitrate MPG encoding. You can get some very good results with bitrates as low as 400Kbps (regular MPEG is 1100bps) and the size can be further reduced by using mono audio instead of stereo, and reducing the audio bitrate to 64Kbps (from 224Kbps).

MPEG-1 files can be viewed on almost *any* computer and a large variety of DVD players but there are still a goodly number of PCs that can't view the latest WMV formats (Windows 95/98 users, Linux users, some Apple users, etc).

Another alternative is to use DivX, it's an excellent codec that offers the advantages of WMV without the hassles of DRM and being tied to Microsoft.

When I see WMV files on the Net I just ignore them -- half the time they lock up my PC anyway.