Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Have a TX/RX, now I need a camera.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:03 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Have a TX/RX, now I need a camera.

Where can I get a camera that will go into an RCA port. I don't need the plug, I just need the right signal, I don't mind soldering cables into the RX. I would like to go with CCD but if it's going to cost more than $70 I'll just use CMOS for the time being.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Lynn19531

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Have a TX/RX, now I need a camera.

What equipment do you have?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Red_61

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really like the two "spy cameras" I bought on eBay. They're wireless, CCD, color, no sound, run on a 9-volt battery, and the receiver plugs into an RCA jack.

Oh -- did I mention they are under $30? (Price includes shipping!)

Just go to eBay and do a search for "B09 203C wireless Spy Color Camera"

Best of luck,
Freelancer
Old 03-18-2004, 10:48 AM
KantoModelAir

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heads up, the B09 203C wireless Spy Color Camera that Red was talking about is not a CCD camera, but a CMOS camera... They cost a lot less, but remember you get what you paid for. CMOS cameras are very sensitive to bright light, and when pointed at the sun the picture washes out. No CCD camera goes for under $30, and if they say it does, be very Skeptical. Do a search for CCD cameras on ebay, they are a bit more expensive.
Mark
Old 03-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Red_61

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KantoModelAir

Heads up, the B09 203C wireless Spy Color Camera that Red was talking about is not a CCD camera, but a CMOS camera... They cost a lot less, but remember you get what you paid for. CMOS cameras are very sensitive to bright light, and when pointed at the sun the picture washes out. No CCD camera goes for under $30, and if they say it does, be very Skeptical. Do a search for CCD cameras on ebay, they are a bit more expensive.
Mark
Sorry about that -- I *thought* it was CCD... After looking at the acution, I realize it does not say it's CCD... Oh well -- it's still a good camera for the money!

Freelancer
Old 03-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, if you hadnt put the $70 limit up, I would have said to try BlackwidowAV.com.
You might check out Ebay for item #3084034214 .
The auction is closed but he had a grip of these CCD cameras and I bet he still has some. I would email him. I bought one of these, by the way, but it hasnt arrived as yet.
The cam comes without any wiring harness but he emailed me yesterday and said he would have some for sale by the beginning of next month for $3.25 ea.
Worth a shot.
ORIGINAL: RS2K

Where can I get a camera that will go into an RCA port. I don't need the plug, I just need the right signal, I don't mind soldering cables into the RX. I would like to go with CCD but if it's going to cost more than $70 I'll just use CMOS for the time being.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:45 PM
RS2K

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The TX and RX I have is a 2000 mw 2.4 GHz Video Sender. It's a small black box in a heavy steel case (which I will remove) with 1 set of RCA ports a 9V DC in and out jack, a channel selector, and an antenna (the type you see on most 802.11X cards).

How would one of these cameras works? I don't need a ccd right now, I plan on upgrading to one later. --->e Bay item: 3085718767, 3085718746, and 3085718813.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the order you listed them:
Nope! Unless you want to do a lot of re-wiring to remove the onboard tx.
Possibly if ya dump the dome.
I wouldnt.
If all you want is a CMOS camera (and I still say you should check my other reply for that CCD camera which I got for $48 incl shipping), you might be better to get one of these:3085352677, 3084876227, 3083714129.
Unfortunately, shipping for these items generally runs about $30. You can always scrap the rest of the system.

The TX and RX I have is a 2000 mw 2.4 GHz Video Sender. It's a small black box in a heavy steel case (which I will remove) with 1 set of RCA ports a 9V DC in and out jack, a channel selector, and an antenna (the type you see on most 802.11X cards).

How would one of these cameras works? I don't need a ccd right now, I plan on upgrading to one later. --->e Bay item: 3085718767, 3085718746, and 3085718813.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 PM
CenTexFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A 2 watt TX running on 9 volts? I'm from Missouri on that one, you'll have to show me!

CTF
Old 03-19-2004, 11:58 PM
RS2K

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check it out here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Item number 3080212724 if the link doesn't work.

It runs 9-12 volts at 500 mAh. I can't personally vouch for it yet as I havn't used it, I've been too busy lately. I'm just trying to gather up the goodies right now. I'll put it together and use it when I have the time. I CAN'T WAIT!
Old 03-20-2004, 12:45 AM
IA-Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guessed that was the one you were talking about!
I checked into it a few months ago when I was in video sender mode, the reply I received when I asked about the power was between 10 and 800mW depending on who answered the email.
Here is the reply I got from priyayanku:
β€œ
Hi, 800mW

Tks
β€œ

Let me know how it works and what kind of range you get, it did look interesting.
Using BlackWidow these days though, light weight and good range on 5 volts.

But I do like the idea of stereo because you could use one channel to announce your HAM call sign and still have one free for normal audio.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:09 AM
RS2K

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it works out. I plan on having my system running by about mid April. What do you think about this camera here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48629

Item number 3085378263. A bit more expensive but it sounds like the other one you were telling me about.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:39 PM
IA-Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It would be hard to say without trying one. But here are the things I noticed about the CMOS cameras compared to the Panasonic CX-161 CCD camera.
I flew a CMOS camera last year and it worked well with good resolution. The problem with them is the brightness levels are not controlled well.
If I ever had too much of the sky in the frame the ground was too dark to see. And almost all CMOS cameras give a wavy picture unless you do a very good job at vibration isolating them.

For the price your looking at, I would take the jump and get a CCD camera.
Bill over at blackwidowav.com has them and ~ebay~ item 3084034214 is a 161 at a great price.
The 161 doesn’t have any better resolution or picture quality in perfect conditions than the CMOS I ran last year. But in real life the CCD gives far better results because the contrast and brightness are almost perfect all the time. The only down side to a CCD is the power draw. The CMOS cameras draw around 25mA and the CCD draws around 160mA.

There's a video and a still on the front page of my site (the link is in my signature below), they were both done with a Target Color Cam CMOS camera and a video sender. In perfect conditions the CMOS cameras can do very well. But if I was going to spend over $15 today, I’d buy a CCD.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
IA-Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BTW Item number 3085378263 is a CMOS camera.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:22 PM
RS2K

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These two cameras are for sale on "e"Bay

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088786480&category=48629]3088786480[/link] and [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088786149&category=48629]3088786149[/link]

How do I connect one of those to an RCA video jack? Which one would be best to use?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The first item (55029) would be the camera you probably want because it has a standard field of view. The second camera (55012) has a 17 deg field of view and is something like a 5X zoom. I have the second camera and ordered the first, by the way.
You will also need to order from Chuck (the seller) a plug cable for the camera unless you are one heck of a solder wizard. I dont know if he is including them with the cameras now or not. I would check.
If I get a chance later tonight or this weekend I will post a pair of views from both the 53 degree cam and 17 degree cams I have so people can compare.
As just a description tho, I fired up my normal field of view camera (CX-161) in my Wingo and aimed it at my workbench. It showed the entire top of the bench and the wall and some of the shelves behind it but aimed at a spray bottle that I keep full of rubbing alchohol sitting on the bench. Without moving the position of the Wingo, I swapped cameras. The view of the 55012 showed pretty much just the spray bottle which now fills the image frame.
The last two digits of the camera # stands for the lens focal length. 29= 2.9mm 12= 12mm
You would want the 2.9mm lens.

From the auction:
(10) External Terminal: 6 pin Connector

1 – Power input

2 – Ground

3 – Video Output

4 – Ground

5 – 12C SCL (serial clock)

6 – 12C SDA (serial data)
Pin 1 would be 5v positive input. Pin 2 is ground and I used that pin for the 5v negative just to make things simple for myself. Pin 3 would be the center pin for the RCA jack. Pin 4 would be the shield for the RCA jack. Pins 5&6 were not wired to the plug I have right now. These cameras are wired exactly like the CX-161 CCD cameras that BlackwidowAV sells.

These two cameras are for sale on "e"Bay

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088786480&category=48629]3088786480[/link] and [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088786149&category=48629]3088786149[/link]

How do I connect one of those to an RCA video jack? Which one would be best to use?
Old 04-02-2004, 09:29 PM
RS2K

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, I've decided to get one of those cameras. I still need to test out the TX and RX. I have been very busy lately.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:38 AM
Mhale71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

and all this time i was looking in the r/c airplanes section at eBay...