Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Camera Size For A Slow Stick??

Old 03-22-2004, 03:55 PM
jchuston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera Size For A Slow Stick??

OK, I have this "old" digital camera...it is an Olympus Camedia D-360L. I want to strap this thing onto some airplane of mine...I have no problem strapping it to my avistar or something, but I would like to put it on my Slow Stick... If I were guessing, I would think that it weighed about 6 - 10 oz. The SS that I am flying now weighs about 14 oz ready to go. So, before I ruin either this $299 camera (that was the cost new in 2000) that is 1.3 Megapixel, or my SS, should I try this??

Thanks...

-John
Old 03-22-2004, 06:13 PM
mr.rc-cam

Default RE: Camera Size For A Slow Stick??

You will not be able to safely fly with that payload on a stock SS. You will need to do a brushless motor upgrade, reinforce the wing, and beef up the horz stab. There are several posts on eZone on how to do all of this. Otherwise, get the camera weight under 4 oz and you will be fine (but still plan on reinforcing the wing spar).
Old 04-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Blaster_Boy

Slow sticks are cheep to repair... I stuck mine 50' up in a tree and getting it down poked two holes in the wings and ripped the rudder and elevator off... Point being I repaired it in 15 minutes and was flying again.

Be adventurous, before you put the camera on, cut yourself a 2x4 piece that weight is similar to your camera, strap it on and try flying it. Remember to figure the weight of a 3rd servo to press the camera button.

Good luck, post us your results!
Old 04-08-2004, 01:39 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

All the info on Ariel pics for slow stick can be found [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=dd031877bb8386c4a125dd1afc4256f 6&forumid=128]HERE[/link] Most use them and they have lists of what EQ. they use. Read the first 3 stickys