Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

What system for a college class?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 11:17 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What system for a college class?

Hi Guys,
I recently met a Radio Class instructor from the local Community College. He said they were working on a project that entails mounting a video camera to a Para Plane and transmitting the signals back to a ground receiver.

They are having many problems with their current system, I don't know exactly what they are using, but he says it's heavy (1lb) and it interferes with the aircraft signal.

They also don't have anyone who knows how to fly, so when he heard I was an RC Pilot, he recruted me immediately.

He was also asking me about better systems, and since I know little about them, I thought I'd check the RCU experts.

So, waddya think?

What would be a good recommendation for a video system that would take good videos, and transmit them to a ground receiver? Cost? Links?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:55 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What system for a college class?

Mike just search the site for video and you'll have more than you can read

Tom
Old 03-24-2004, 01:00 PM
MinnFlyer

That's what I'm afraid of.[:@]
Old 03-24-2004, 02:24 PM
mr.rc-cam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not provide specific details to what is being used? Just post the various part numbers (or offer a technical description) and include the operating freq and RF power. Provide details to the Tx and Rx antennas, as well as the video camera. Photos of the bits and how it is mounted on the model would be good too.

If this is a College/University effort then there is probably some written documentation that describes the project in great detail. Just post the link to the project for us to see what could be wrong.

Why? There is a chance that what they have can be salvaged. Perhaps it is a poor installation or ill-equipped antenna setup. If there is interference with the R/C gear then I suspect they are in the ham band's 430-450Mhz RF area. Moving up to the newer amateur radio 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz spectrum will usually tame that.

What you should use will depend on your goals. Hopefully the instructor's documentation will describe that too.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:32 PM
MinnFlyer

Because of their lack of confidence in their present aircraft (I have not seen it yet), one of the things that they are considering is to fit a small camera/transmitter into one of my planes (I have several in the 40 -60 range plus a 27% Extra 300). So I was just curious as to some systems that I could suggest they take a look at.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

OK, off the top of my head, I would recommend the BlackwidowAV systems. The 200mw system he sells operates on 5v (rx pack!) and is small and light enough that I have used mine on the back of an Ultra Stick 60 with no loss of full acro abilities, I can use it on my Super Scooter EPP combat slope plane while keeping full combat abilities, and I currently have mine installed on a Wingo. Plan to test fly the Wingo this weekend but I already know it will work.
I have run the gamut of wireless video systems from the total crap Ebay tx/cam all in one systems, the "800mw" systems (actually had good results with those), a $350 900mhz 12v system (mixed results but still working on that one), and the BlackwidowAV.com 200mw system using a patch antenna. That system ROCKS! Wish I had gotten one of those to begin with.
Videos from those systems (broadband recommended and actually required):
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/grass%20wired%202.wmv]1.2ghz "800mw" CMOS system[/link]
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/ksahires.wmv]900mhz CCD system[/link]
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/usbw1.wmv]BlackwidowAV.com 200mw 2.4ghz CCD system[/link]
None of those systems weigh anything approaching 1 lb. The heaviest system would be the one on the Kadet Senior operating on 900mhz and the weight there is the 10 cell 1100mAh AA nicad pack.
ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Hi Guys,
I recently met a Radio Class instructor from the local Community College. He said they were working on a project that entails mounting a video camera to a Para Plane and transmitting the signals back to a ground receiver.

They are having many problems with their current system, I don't know exactly what they are using, but he says it's heavy (1lb) and it interferes with the aircraft signal.

They also don't have anyone who knows how to fly, so when he heard I was an RC Pilot, he recruted me immediately.

He was also asking me about better systems, and since I know little about them, I thought I'd check the RCU experts.

So, waddya think?

What would be a good recommendation for a video system that would take good videos, and transmit them to a ground receiver? Cost? Links?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:18 PM
aaron2874

Fubar,
Is the system you used on that video the 200mw ready to go system that yb2normal sells? And, are you using the patch antenna he sells as well? That system does rock! As you know, my plane is done and now I need the vid system. I think I'm going to order that from yb2 cuz (I'd guess) about 95% of that video footage is clear and kick ass. And when you did get a signal drop is was very brief and minor. Also, what kind of battery pack are you running the transmitter with? Please be specific so I will know what I need.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Lynn19531

What kind of range will the 2.4 200mw give you?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:28 AM
MinnFlyer

Thanks guys, I'll bring them that info later today.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Fubar-One

Aaron,
Its not the ready to go system, more like the build it yourself setup although there is nothing to setting it up. Just need to wire the camera to power and tx and wire the tx to same. That system is the 5v system. I bought a Kanwhosis 2 cell LiPo pack with 5v reg from FMA direct, what they call the sport setup which is designed to be a rx pack. 1020mAh which is WAY overkill. I think I should have gotten a 700mAh pack instead. I am, indeed, using the patch antenna that Bill sells which works very well, although the whip worked pretty damned good too. I got the patch antenna for acrobatics. I have no idea what the range is but it seems to be farther than I have been willing to take the plane out to with either antenna!'
I HIGHLY recommend the system over ANY of the systems I have been using. Definitely worth the cost which I think is very reasonable anyway.
Go for it!
ORIGINAL: aaron2874

Fubar,
Is the system you used on that video the 200mw ready to go system that yb2normal sells? And, are you using the patch antenna he sells as well? That system does rock! As you know, my plane is done and now I need the vid system. I think I'm going to order that from yb2 cuz (I'd guess) about 95% of that video footage is clear and kick ass. And when you did get a signal drop is was very brief and minor. Also, what kind of battery pack are you running the transmitter with? Please be specific so I will know what I need.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Fubar-One

Honestly dont know yet but I flew the US60 out to a point where I got nervous and brought it back. Farthest away that I have EVER flown anything other than a glider in a thermal which was more up than out.
With the included whip antenna I believe the range to exceed pretty much what anyone would normally need. The patch would increase that a lot and allow for the plane to roll, loop, tumble and so forth.
ORIGINAL: Lynn19531

What kind of range will the 2.4 200mw give you?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:41 PM
aaron2874

I have a Futaba 6 Volt 1000 receiver pack consisting of 5 cells in series. If I get a 5 Volt regulator from FMA Direct, I could use that pack to power the BWAV 200 system. Is this correct? I think I would prefer to use that instead of a lipoly pack which could "take a finger off"! Careful Fubar, don't wear rings when handling that lipoly pack. You may never be able to show people your opinion of their bad driving again!
Old 03-26-2004, 05:44 PM
yb2normal

If you are looking at the ready-to-fly version (BWAV200) then it includes additional voltage regulation circuitry that will allow you to run it directly off your 5 cell receiver pack (or the finger eating lipos )

If you are 'rolling your own' from the bare components, then you'll need to use a regulator.

Regards,
Bill
Old 03-26-2004, 06:21 PM
IA-Flyer

Aaron,
The 600mW system only weighs about 1/2 ounce more than the 200.
It's not much trouble to make a regulator for it, or the FMA one you were talking about.
With as big a plane as you have, I would probably not share the receiver pack. Just for safety sake.
You will be looking at an additional 450mA or so constant draw on the pack.
Is there a story behind the lost finger, sounds scary!
Jim
Old 03-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Fubar-One

If you aint going to use that pack for the rx, you can just remove one of the cells and go for 4.8v. I believe the specs for the 5v BWAV systems are an operating range of 4.5-5.5 volts. I have run mine using a standard 4.8v rx pack with no problems. I only went for the reg since I was using a 7.whatever v LiPo pack and it came with the pack as an option anyway.
Also, I only wear rings at the Renaissance Faires and have only once brought a plane to play with in the parking lot so a LiPo pack vs Ring incident isnt likely to happen.
I am thinking about bringing along the Wingo with the vid system and flying it from the parking lot over the Faire site this season. Might be some interesting footage especially if I can manage to get over the jousting field during a tourney or one of the wars between the Celts and the English.

I have a Futaba 6 Volt 1000 receiver pack consisting of 5 cells in series. If I get a 5 Volt regulator from FMA Direct, I could use that pack to power the BWAV 200 system. Is this correct? I think I would prefer to use that instead of a lipoly pack which could "take a finger off"! Careful Fubar, don't wear rings when handling that lipoly pack. You may never be able to show people your opinion of their bad driving again!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:11 PM
aaron2874

I'm tired of building stuff for the time being. This Stinger has been quite a chore. SO, I think I'm going to order the ready-to-go system. I'm not interested in putting together something that I know nothing about anyway (I'm a creature of convenience). Anyway, I have 3 4.8 volt packs in the plane. One for the electronics, one for the smoke pump, and one for the video sys. I'm moving this weekend, but come Monday, it's time to get that vid system.

As for the lip vs. finger thing. I was reading about Lipo packs on the FMA direct site and they say that a pack being shorted out by a ring could "take a finger off". What the heck do they make those out of?! I thought it was amusing. In fact, they had a pop up box that listed all kinds of warnings and cautions. Maybe they should be classified as a pyrotechnic instead.

If this renaissance faire is like the Texas Renaissance Festival, then you need to fly that wingo over all of the maidens and damsels you can. Cleavage abounds and these Texas women have very little shame...God bless'em... That would be awesome to orbit your wingo over a big battle scene. That would definately be the most unique video ever posted here!!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Fubar-One

Hey, Ive BEEN to the Texas Renaissance Festival (TRF) several times if its the one in Plantersville near Magnolia. Its my GF/Wife's (not exactly married yet hence the lack of ring) home Faire and where we went on our first "date".
We met on the internet and I figured it would be a good excuse to actually meet.
Long story short, we hooked up and she moved out here to be with me. Now I gotta make an honest woman of her!

If this renaissance faire is like the Texas Renaissance Festival, then you need to fly that wingo over all of the maidens and damsels you can. Cleavage abounds and these Texas women have very little shame...God bless'em... That would be awesome to orbit your wingo over a big battle scene. That would definately be the most unique video ever posted here!!