Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Spylinker TX Antenna location anyone...Fubar-one?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Spylinker TX Antenna location anyone...Fubar-one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Skycam41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spylinker TX Antenna location anyone...Fubar-one?

I hope I have not duplicated this post but it seems the first one did not get posted.

I think I have the set up that I will use in my Flyin' King. If you look at the picture you will see that the TX antenna pokes out the side of the fuse, I guess I will have to try it and see if it works but I wonder how good the reception will be when the antenna is on the blind side to the RX (facing away from the RX)? Or am I better off having the antenna protrude beneath the fuse? Wpuld a home made patch antenna be a good idea.

A question with the power supply. I get a better quality picture when the RX and the TX are powered from the supplied house hold power transformer than when using 9V batteries, is this normal?

Fubar-One, thanks for all your time and for the info you have posted to help us get going in aerial pictures/videos....saves a lot of time tinkering!!

Cheers

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64419.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	116709  
Old 03-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Spylinker TX Antenna location anyone...Fubar-one?

Hey Mike!
I got the email you sent to me but none of the text arrived for some reason, just the pic. Wasnt sure what it was about, figured it was showing your installation. Would have responded regardless but have been in the middle of setting up my new computer system and actually answering emails and such was kind of down the list.
You may have reception probs with that setup, unfortunately, due to antenna polarization. Either straight up or straight down is what you want for the tx antenna. Straight down is actually better for aerial video tx transmission because of the transmission pattern.
Guess you will have to try it and see.
With those transmitters you need the best fully charged alkaline battery you can. A "9v" nicad wont have enough soup and generally are not actually 9v anyway. I run my Spylinker rx from my 12v tractor batt that I use in my E-Flight field box.
Back to antennas:
I would reset the tx so that the antenna is pointing down. My father just stuck his Spylinker tx to the side of his PT-40 with doublesided tape with the antenna pointed down. Worked great and its one of the comparison setups in the comparison video.
You will definitely get good results if you build one of those GPP patch antenna that MR RC-Cam describes on his site. Double ALL dimensions shown for the antenna including the air gap.
Very glad to have been of help to the forum. Wish somebody else had done the experimenting and saved me some cash but oh well! I had fun. Still am! If I can get a wind free weekend, hopefully I can get back to flying, let alone the video stuff!
I can see that the new puter is gonna work great already. Installed Power Director Pro on it and it actually works like it should instead of the PIP playing like both windows were shot with strobes.

Lets see YOUR results soon! Interested in how that Flyin King performs also.
ORIGINAL: Skycam41

I hope I have not duplicated this post but it seems the first one did not get posted.

I think I have the set up that I will use in my Flyin' King. If you look at the picture you will see that the TX antenna pokes out the side of the fuse, I guess I will have to try it and see if it works but I wonder how good the reception will be when the antenna is on the blind side to the RX (facing away from the RX)? Or am I better off having the antenna protrude beneath the fuse? Wpuld a home made patch antenna be a good idea.

A question with the power supply. I get a better quality picture when the RX and the TX are powered from the supplied house hold power transformer than when using 9V batteries, is this normal?

Fubar-One, thanks for all your time and for the info you have posted to help us get going in aerial pictures/videos....saves a lot of time tinkering!!

Cheers

Mike
Old 03-31-2004, 01:15 AM
Skycam41

Dan, thanks for your reply.... having fun with your new PC? I find that computers are a real love/hate relationship.

Thanks for the tip about antenna location, it will be very easy for me to make a small hole in the bottom of the fuse for the antenna to poke through. Has anyone ever had a conflict with the onboard radio gear and the wireless camera/TX with glitching or other interferance?

I will track down the plans for the patch anttena and get one built....this is getting exciting. I planed on taking the FK out for it's maiden flight tonight but the wind was blowing too hard and now the forescast is for some snow...crap!

I will be sure to post vids ASAP and plan on using the video set up on the maiden flight.

Cheers

Mike
Old 03-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

The only time I have run into video/onboard system interference was with the 900mhz system and my Futaba 50mhz rx. They did NOT get along. The video tx would obliterate the Futaba rx. Switching to a 72mhz channel 38 tx I had solved the problem. Also Futaba if I recall. I have not run into any interference probs with either 1.2 or 2.4ghz tx's with anything else. The only other glitching we ran into was with an FMA Fortress rx and that had nothing to do with the video gear and everything, it seemed, to do with the antenna being routed along the servos.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Skycam41

Thanks for the info Dan. I have now repositioned the video TX so the antenna is now poking out the bottom of the plane....now if only the weather would smarten up [:@]

Mike