Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

x10 system on a airplane

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:24 PM
propwash1-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x10 system on a airplane

I have an x10 wireless camera system, i have been using it alittle on the airplane and rc truck but the video is too poor, i was wondering is there is a way to use this stem effectively on my rc stuff. It seems that im loosing alot of my signal whae i get far away.Im still using the stock paddle type antenna, is there a way to make cheap inexpensive antenna for the transmitter so i can mount is on my zagi so it can face the ground..sorta like WHIP type. Or should i bite the bullet and just contact black widow and get a ready to fly kit?...Any help would be great
Old 04-16-2004, 04:59 PM
mr.rc-cam

Default RE: x10 system on a airplane

A groundplane antenna works well on the Tx: http://www.yb2normal.com/antenna3.html

Basic XCam2 hacks are found here: http://www.rc-cam.com/rc-cam4.htm
Old 04-17-2004, 09:35 PM
propwash1-RCU

is there a total length the antenna must be or can i have a 2ft long antenna wire connected to the ground plane?
Old 04-17-2004, 09:44 PM
mr.rc-cam

(1) The elements on the antenna must not be altered.

(2) A coax feedline connecting the antenna to the Tx should be as short as possible. The popular RG-174 and RG-178 coax is very lossy and the signal strength will be affected. Try to keep it under a couple of inches if possible.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:49 PM
propwash1-RCU

well i tried the ground plane from the link, it had worse reciption. i guess it just wasnt meant to be. Ill sell a few gasers and by a black widow setup... any suggestions?
Old 04-18-2004, 12:03 AM
yb2normal

You should not be getting worse reception with the groundplane antenna, there must be a problem with your transmitter, your antenna construction, or both.

I've shot some very good video over a range of about 300 feet with the modified xcam. For the diehard hackers out there it is still a great way to dabble in the hobby.

Regards,
Bill