Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Low Aerial Photo Businesses

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 03:23 PM
aambrose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Low Aerial Photo Businesses

That's funny! I kinda have the same plan but if/when I get some money in the bank from my venture, I plan to go with something along the lines of what you're getting.

My Draganflyer is supposed to be shipping out tomorrow according to the phone conversation I had with their customer support today. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to build and test it, [] but hopefully it will be well worth the wait. I have ZERO experience with helicopters so I'm definitely going to take it slow with $1000 worth of "toy". RCToys (the Draganflyer web site) is working on a CCD camera and I have been told they hope to have it available in 1-2 months. I'm not sure if it will work on the Draganflyer IV. I was also told it will probably run about $100 more than their Eyecam CMOS camera which should put it around the $350 price tag.

There you go! Asking me for my secrets! I'm guessing I could take footage from one area, then pack things up and go to another area, and so forth to get enough footage. As for editing software, I have Adobe Premiere version 6.0 but I would like to upgrade so I can burn DVDs. Premiere is a pretty powerful editing package but it has a fairly steep learning curve.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:35 PM
MalachiConstant

Yeah, it is a funny name for their site. I wouldn't consider anything in the $1000 range to be a toy. Helis are just expensive. The cheapest one I have found is the aerohawk, which is cheaply made in hong kong, flies terribly and is a general piece o' crap. And still, it is about $180.

You definitely want to take it slow, although from what I have heard, repairs on the draganflyer are pretty cheap. The only unfortunate thing is that there is no way to practice it on a simulator. Practicing with simulated helis probably wouldn't do you any good.

Be sure and post a review once you get it up and flying.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:33 PM
aambrose

I'll be sure to let you know how it is.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:17 AM
ihaveatxt1wow

ORIGINAL: aambrose

That's funny! I kinda have the same plan but if/when I get some money in the bank from my venture, I plan to go with something along the lines of what you're getting.

My Draganflyer is supposed to be shipping out tomorrow according to the phone conversation I had with their customer support today. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to build and test it, [] but hopefully it will be well worth the wait. I have ZERO experience with helicopters so I'm definitely going to take it slow with $1000 worth of "toy". RCToys (the Draganflyer web site) is working on a CCD camera and I have been told they hope to have it available in 1-2 months. I'm not sure if it will work on the Draganflyer IV. I was also told it will probably run about $100 more than their Eyecam CMOS camera which should put it around the $350 price tag.

There you go! Asking me for my secrets! I'm guessing I could take footage from one area, then pack things up and go to another area, and so forth to get enough footage. As for editing software, I have Adobe Premiere version 6.0 but I would like to upgrade so I can burn DVDs. Premiere is a pretty powerful editing package but it has a fairly steep learning curve.
I downloaded videos from both CMOS and CCD cameras, and the one comes with Draganflyer IV is not bad at all. Yes it is little more clear with CCD, but hey, it is also $100-200 cheaper. Plus, it will take a few crashs before you can comfortably hover your Draganflyer IV 30-40 ft over your head. You do not even want to put a $200 camera on board before that, right?
Old 05-25-2004, 09:20 AM
aambrose

Thanks for the tips! Please keep us updated!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:53 AM
aambrose

Well, it's time for my first review of my DF IV. After waiting over 2 weeks to receive it, it finally came yesterday. I opened everything carefully, read the manual and took my time assembling it. While doing that, I charged the transmitter and li-poly packs for the DF. I realize the transmitter needs 14+ hours to fully charge but the manual suggests charging it while assembling the DF so it will have enough juice to complete the setup.

All went well and the thing assembled nicely. There are a few minor tricky things but overall it went together nicely. From start to finish, I spent just under 2 hours. That's going very slow, reading, taking my time, and in no hurry.

I placed the battery pack on the DF and plugged it in. After that, I put the DF on the floor, turned on the tx then the DF and the little red LED came on just as described. Its flashing rate increased with throttle input - just as stated. I returned the throttle to the lowest position, armed the DF by pressing the arming button, then increased the throttle slowly. It worked! I took it very slow and got used to the controls. It was a little squirrelly so I took it out into our garage for more room. After practicing intermittently for an overall total of about 10 minutes on the DF, I decided to let it rest for a few minutes. I had the thing hovering (briefly) a few times and I was somewhat pleased at my first few minutes, although I knew it was going to take some time to master. My wife came home and I couldnt wait to show her. If you havent noticed already, I'm using "past tense" verbs here! I turned on the tx, then the DF but this time, the red LED didnt glow! I even replaced the battery pack with a fresh pack....Nothing! I even tried charging the tx for a couple more hours but it still didnt work. I attached the Eyecam to the DF and it received power from the battery pack but the DF didnt seem to be getting any power (or lack of signal from the tx). I even charged the tx overnight and tried everything again this morning but it still didnt work.

Needless to say, I'm extremely dissatisfied at this point. I took my time, did everything correctly and carefully, and got to tinker with the thing for less than 10 minutes total flight time! I have $1000 invested in this and it does nothing now! I have a call into Draganfly Innovations but it seems their customer service/tech support is no where to be found! If they tell me to pack it up and ship it back, then I'm just going to get my money back. I refuse to wait another 2+ weeks! I'll buy an RC helicopter if that's the case! Yeah, I'm mad! [:@]
Old 05-28-2004, 09:23 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any website giving info on vibration-proof mounting for cameras on helis ?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:44 PM
aambrose

I've been on the phone a few times with the folks at Draganfly Innovations and I have to say that they are very willing and cooperative. They are sending me a new circuit board and some capacitors for the motors. At this point, they are proving to be very helpful. Sure makes me question the durability of the DF IV though since I barely eeked out 10 minutes of stick time before all of this happened. []
Old 05-28-2004, 02:55 PM
MalachiConstant

Sorry to hear about your problem, and I know it must be frustrating. I have been waiting over two weeks for my heli, and it hasn't even shipped yet. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

However, don't put too much stock in a single sample as an estimate of reliability. Maybe they get failures one out of every 1000 units. Or maybe one out of every 2. You can't really tell the overall reliability just from looking at your single unit. And the fact that they have good, responsive customer service is a great plus in their favor. Also, most electronic items fail very early in their lifetime, or very late (the so-called "bathtub" curve), so it is not surprising that it failed after ten minutes. I wonder how much burn-in testing they do?

Anyhow, keep your chin up, and hang in there. Go spend some more time practicing on the simulator, if you have one. If you don't, then you should get one. :-)
Old 05-28-2004, 03:07 PM
aambrose

Yeah, I feel a little better knowing that that are willing to "right" the situation and in a timely fashion. I'm just disappointed because I spent 2+ weeks waiting and anticipating then I spent 2 hours reading the manual and assembling everything so I would be assured that everything was correct. It was very fun while it lasted so I'm really looking forward to having it work again. I hope mine was a fluke because I would think that everyday "normal" flying would be rougher than what I put it through in just a few minutes.

I have no RC simulators but I've also heard that no simulator will help with the DF. I dont know how true that is though.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

ok well I havent checked back since starting this thread for awhile but im 99% ready to start.

I was able to acquire a Vario Silence electric heli here on RC Universe for around $400 ready to fly!
I saved about $1000!!

I also got a custom made cam mount from helicamsolutions that incorporates both tilt and pan for about $350.

Then I bought the new digilive transmitter system from Blackwidow for $285.

Im basically all set. Just need to do some finish up on the chopper here and there and re-engineer the camera shutter actuation and I am ready to roll.

This helicopter should be able to lift about 5 pounds and my cam setup is looking to be right under 4 pounds.

I have talked to some real estate agents that are excited about this and want me to get with them when i am ready to go.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:08 PM
MalachiConstant

Awesome!

I haven't heard anything about that particular heli. Can you post a link to specs, or tell us what they are? That sounds like an awesome deal.

I'm also curious why you didn't go with the helicamsolutions downlink. I think it was about the same price.

I'd also love to hear how your discussions go with the real-estate agents. What kinds of things did they ask about? What price are they looking for. That kind of thing.

Good luck to you, and be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:56 AM
aambrose

Sounds very cool Ronnie! I can't wait to hear your updates!

RCToys sent me a new circuit board and some capacitors for my Draganflyer IV. They shipped it Airborne Express and it was on my doorstep in 2 business days considering Monday was a holiday. They even threw in a few extra frame parts at no charge! They definitely seem to stand behind their products and want to keep the customer satisfied.

I soldered the new capacitor on the motor but the DF still didnt work. I replaced the circuit board and it worked. I've had it airborne a few times and I'm able to hover it but it's going to take some practice before I can fly it around comfortably. My thumbs are still used to flying RC planes and I'm learning to use more left stick, but I find it very challenging and fun. Someday I'd like to move up to an RC helicopter and something along the lines of what Ronnie is doing.

As for the Draganflyer IV...it's a lot of fun but it defintely takes practice. The size and shape makes it somewhat difficult to keep it oriented forward but that's part of the fun right? My practice sessions usually last about 10 minutes or so and that includes walking over to pick up the DF and position it back on the "pad". I'm having fun just learning how to fly it so I can imagine it will be a blast once I'm more proficient!
Old 06-05-2004, 06:32 AM
Shok

http://www.variousa.com/silence.html

dont let the picture fool you, this is a big helicopter!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:39 AM
aambrose

Just checkin in. How's it comin' Ronnie?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:09 PM
photoniq

Do you guys reckon I could run a part time aerial picture business with an electric wing like the Great Planes Slinger if i was able to mount a tough pod underneath with the camera in it?
Old 06-16-2004, 02:02 PM
aambrose

Anything is possible if you're determined to make it work!

Just an FYI - I'm returning my Eyecam from RCToys. I used it once and that was enough for me to realize the quality isnt very good at all. They are supposed to be developing a camera system using a CCD camera with pan/tilt capabilities and shock absorption. It's supposed to be available in a couple of months. In my opinion, the Eyecam is not worth the money.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:00 PM
MalachiConstant

Aambrose -- thanks for the review. It does look kind of cheap in the pictures.

Photoniq -- All the commercial aerial photographers I know use helicopters. Planes may not be stable enough to get high quality pictures. I do see lots of people taking pictures with planes just for fun.

All -- It seems like the main meeting place for commercial serial photographers is here:

http://runryder.com/helicopter/f25p1/

It is a very active group, with lots of commercial people there.

I have just finished my Voyager 50 E from airfoil, and I have been *really* impressed with the quality. It is a fantastic machine.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:45 AM
aambrose

MalachiConstant,
Thanks for the link. Forgive me if you've already stated it but do you have previous experience flying RC helicopters or do you just have simulator time? What type of camera system are you planning to use with your Voyager 50 E?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Shok

ORIGINAL: aambrose

Just checkin in. How's it comin' Ronnie?

we are ready to roll, just need a few more things. We have been kinda slacking on this project since we are in the middle of finishing molds for a new turbine jet we hope to release soon.

We need to get a new battery charger because the ones we have now wont handle this many cells. Plus we learned the skids on the Silence are too wide for our camera mount, we need to get ahold of some more narrow ones, then we are ready to take some test shots.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:05 PM
ImRich
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

Please realise that the FAA is now forming rules which will most likely affect anyone doing any sort of 'comercial' (which I read as 'for profit') flying with R/C as a RPV or UAV. We're discussing this on www.helicam.org, so instead of my trying to duplicate this here, please refer to that site.

Hopefully any rules or regulations put in place will not be too restrictive.

Note that this should not affect recreational flying, or photography at all. It's just that once you make a dollar, you have crossed the line into commercial work.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:44 AM
jheissjr

aviewfromabove,
I live about 15 minutes from you. I live in Ambler/Maple Glen. Its nice to find someone local. Thats great you made a business off of your hobby. What the names of some of the places you have done work for aound here. What RC clubs do you belong to?