Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Which CCD Board Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Skycam41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which CCD Board Camera?

Which CCD board camera would you recommend? I am looking for one with high resolution and good lux level for overcast days. I don't seem to be able to find the ones that were advertised here on RCU anymore, perhaps they have all sold now. Is 1/3" CCD better than 1/4" (larger chip)? Any suggestions or info appreciated.
Cheers
Old 05-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Rj-TailSpin

Default RE: Which CCD Board Camera?

Backlight compensation is more important then LUX. Most board cameras, CCD and CMOS, are built and planned to be used in medium to low light. Likewise, most board cameras in my experience, have problems dealing with the brightness of outdoors. The colors wash out and if the sun hits the picture... lines and serious picture saturation occurs. Most board cameras have the ability to adjust their frame rate which will effectively act like an electronic iris limiting the light. Getting to these controls in the low end cameras has proven to be impossible. Until lately, most of the cameras I purchased were from SuperCircuits. I requested information (numerous times) on their cameras and they NEVER supplied any information or documentation on the cameras I purchased from them. A buddy of mine is a security expert. He believes they will not supply the information I needed to adjust the frame rate/shutter speed because the manuals also show how to enable and/or use the audio portion of the camera which would then make it illegal for them to sell. The only information I received from SuperCircuits was, "Maybe you should try this one". I played the game for three different cameras before I decided to look elsewhere. The cameras I am looking at now cost over a $1,200.00 and I will have complete control over it. I am expecting the camera to arrive soon. Not sure I can handle the pucker factor flying with a nose mounted camera like this one-grin!!!

If your looking to capture video for yourself and it doesn't have to be too perfect, go with an inexpensive CMOS camera. They have less problems with bright light. You shouldn't spend over $50 to $100 for a good camera. Look for any with blacklight compensation and over 330 llines of TV resolution. I would hate to recommend a specific make or brand because the technology for these cameras is fast and ever changing. Where ever you purchase your camera from... try to get something in writting concerning their return policy and support issues because believe me... it is necessary to have good support from your camera vendor.

Good Luck!
Rob
Old 05-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Skycam41

Great info...can you give a link to where your camera was purchased?

Cheers

Mike
Old 05-12-2004, 04:23 PM
yb2normal

Likewise, most board cameras in my experience, have problems dealing with the brightness of outdoors. The colors wash out and if the sun hits the picture... lines and serious picture saturation occurs.
Most modern board cameras do not have a problem with bright light. Your problem is more likely with your transmitter, or whatever you are piping the video signal into. While a poorly designed camera might overdrive the video line, most of them use very standardized chipsets which virtually eliminate this problem. The problem is more likely on the receiving end of the signal... your device is simply not able to handle a video signal being driven rail-to-rail.

I requested information (numerous times) on their cameras and they NEVER supplied any information or documentation on the cameras I purchased from them
Supercircuits does not provide technical details on most of their cameras because they don't have it. They purchase the vast majority of their cameras from large overseas manufacturers and the manufacturers of these cameras simply do not provide much detail.

If your looking to capture video for yourself and it doesn't have to be too perfect, go with an inexpensive CMOS camera. They have less problems with bright light.
CMOS cameras are not as good as CCD cameras at handling our dynamic, mobile environments. Until the technology improves, stay away from CMOS. You can get a CCD camera that gives really great results for under $100.

Regards,
Bill
Old 05-13-2004, 08:56 AM
aambrose

I hate to jump in but I've been following this thread and I'm interested in hearing opinions on the CMOS Eyecam from [link=http://www.rctoys.com]www.rctoys.com[/link]

I recently purchased a Draganflyer IV along with the Eyecam but I haven't received it yet. RCToys tell me that they are backordered 1-2 weeks on the DF IVs. They also tell me they are soon to release a CCD camera. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Eyecam or has any advice about it. Should I opt for a CCD on the DF IV or is the Eyecam good enough? Sorry for stepping in on this thread but I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with the CMOS Eyecam. -- Thanks! Tony
Old 05-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Rj-TailSpin

Bill, very good points. I did test my CCD camera with a direct feed and the sun did destroy the picture. I was able to fix this problem with a neutral density filter in front of the lens.

I remember reading something about new CMOS cameras which allows CMOS to perform closer to the more costly CCD camera. I wish I could remember where I read this information. If I find it... I'll post it.

"The video output is only as good as the weakest link"... determining which is the weakest link is tough part!

Rob
Old 05-13-2004, 10:51 AM
aambrose

For what it's worth, here's a [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=47&CFID=1015718&CFTOKEN=24212]review[/link] of the Eyecam.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:06 PM
yb2normal

Hi Rob,

I guess each camera will react differently, and it sounds like you found an acceptable solution to your problem.

I can't wait for CMOS to catch up to CCD performance!

Bill
Old 05-15-2004, 03:14 AM
lvspark

The bwav panasonic is the std around here, but if I remember right, 5 lux? There are others around at 1 lux and work so well, you can even fly after the sun goes down. ( little more cost though )

RJ, $1200 !!!! Oh man, that is way to much! PM me, I can direct you to a cam with all the flexability, AF, and 22x zoom for a heck alot less than that!
Old 05-15-2004, 09:30 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Here's my CCD with downlink. $289 at Circuit City 2 years ago, (demo model) Output feeds into downlink, Chinese 1500 MW unit..(yea right). Weight 2LB 5 OZ. 460 zoom, image stabilazition, 0 lux, infrared lens!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27308.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	132665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74234.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	132666  
Old 05-16-2004, 05:20 PM
IA-Flyer

That’s a great plane Dean!
I’d better stop now, I’d like to go off topic and ask you a hundred questions about your A-10.
Nice job!

Jim
Old 05-16-2004, 09:33 PM
A10FLYR

Do you want to type a hundred questions and wait for 200 answers or would rather talk on the phone for a few minutes?

One of these days I'll have to take the photoshark up north and buzz Bills house! The photoshark is a modified Frontier Senior ARF with a .60 engine.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Fubar-One

That is about the damnedest thing I have seen in a while! I am guessing there is a huge firewall/bulkhead linking the engine whosis to the plane?
How does it fly?
ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

Here's my CCD with downlink. $289 at Circuit City 2 years ago, (demo model) Output feeds into downlink, Chinese 1500 MW unit..(yea right). Weight 2LB 5 OZ. 460 zoom, image stabilazition, 0 lux, infrared lens!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:18 PM
A10FLYR

Ha ha! I thought you guys would get a good laugh! Well, it's not a huge firewall, just a piece of ¼" ply and as you can see in the front view it just has two "legs" down each side of the fuse. The wing "keys" into the firewall just like the original setup. Plane weighs 12 pounds wet and still bounces around a lot.

Jim, give me PM and I'll give you my phone #
Old 05-17-2004, 07:17 PM
IA-Flyer

PM is being sent now.

I like your idea of the camera in the nose and a power pod on top.
I may try to mod my Kadet Sr. to something like.

Jim
Old 05-17-2004, 11:34 PM
A10FLYR

Ive tried the camera on top where the motor is now, on the bottom between the gear and even mounted in the fuse pointing out the bottom. Had trouble with oil splattering on the glass box cover so I decided to chop off the nose and modify the airframe so the glass is in front of the motor, Now I get bug strikes on the windshield! This the best location so far but I have to stay back from other planes when takiing. Next step is to link the downlink to a set of "eyeglasses" so I can more easily follow other aircraft.