Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Help with Hitachi VK-S914 CCD camera

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Help with Hitachi VK-S914 CCD camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:02 PM
mkrauser
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Hitachi VK-S914 CCD camera

Hello All,

I am working on a “roll your own” aerial video system and could use some help. I have a quality Hitachi color chassis camera that may work for me but it does not have any discrete power or video connections. This camera uses an unmarked ribbon cable for power, RS232 control and I presume video. Is there any way to determine what each pin does? I have tried Google and cannot find anything beyond this datasheet - http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.ru/pr...og/vk-s914.pdf

Any assistance in how to properly connect this camera for video and power would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2004, 04:05 AM
lvspark

Default RE: Help with Hitachi VK-S914 CCD camera

You can email [email protected] and they should be able to help you out with the exact pinouts..

As far as a "farmer job" powering it up, I have an LG model that is similar, but of course different..

Ground: Just scrape some green stuff off the obvious grond trace and solder your power and video ground to that. If you have any question if it is a ground trace, use your ohm meter and measure from a screw on the case to the trace ( or connector ) in question. You should see a definate o ohms, and visually inspect the board. You should be able to see where a screw makes contact from the board to the outer housing to ground it. Follow the trace ( or board edge) and it will eventually lead back to the ribbon connector.

V+ : You see that white block in front of the ribbon connector on your second picture? I believe it is a fuse for the V+. Mine has a 1.6 printed on the top of it, and on the board, it is labeled 1.6A and it went directly to my ribbon connector on one side, and to a diode and cap on the other. I assumed it was V+ and gave it some volts! It worked.. I heard and saw the auto focus and auto iris getting ready.

Video: Once it is powered up, I just went along the unused connections with my coax center conductor until the picture appeared on my tv.

Good luck, they have a super picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26459.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	132486  
Old 05-18-2004, 12:47 PM
mkrauser
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks much for your assistance - your suggestions and picture were very helpful. From what you provided I managed to get the camera powered-up, but alas could not get a picture.

What I did see is every type of snow on my monitor, white flashes, jagged lines, dots and pixels but no useable image.

FWIW - I found a site in China that offers service manuals for just about everything electronic and purchased the manual for my camera. It confirmed that I was hooked-up correctly... so I now believe that something is fried and simply won't provide video. http://www.icxinyi.com/EN/

All the best...
Old 05-18-2004, 05:01 PM
lvspark

To bad!

You still might want to email steve at hitachi, they might have a factory repair center near you with a reasonable repair fee??

Hope your luck gets better!