Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 09:08 PM
rc12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera?

I am new to aireal Photography, I was kinda wondering what cam to get, I don't want it to be live, maybe a digital camera would be ok but it would be used on a raptor 30 so weight may be a problem. I was kinda hopeing to keep it under $200 and possibly 60min of video, also I don't need sound so pretty basic i guess. any ideas? Drew
Old 05-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Camera?

One of those Aiptek SD units might be a start since you are not interested in downlink (live) video. Do a search on the net for Aiptek SD. Also search thru this forum.
ORIGINAL: rc12

I am new to aireal Photography, I was kinda wondering what cam to get, I don't want it to be live, maybe a digital camera would be ok but it would be used on a raptor 30 so weight may be a problem. I was kinda hopeing to keep it under $200 and possibly 60min of video, also I don't need sound so pretty basic i guess. any ideas? Drew
Old 05-20-2004, 03:53 PM
rc12

Is that a video camera? it just looks like a pen cam to me
Old 05-20-2004, 04:41 PM
aaron2874

The Aiptek SD is a web cam which is also a portable pencam. Runs on two AA batteries and accepts SD mem cards. It's a good place to start. You can shoot video with it but it shoots at 10 frames per second so it's kinda choppy. Regular video runs at 30 fps I think. Also, the lens is a cmos type so you don't get quick transitions from say a bright sky and a dark ground while shooting video. This has something to do with lux but I'm no expert. It does shoot pretty decent stills though and the cost of one has come down quite a bit. Search around this forum and you will find some shots taken with this cam. I like mine. The only thing I don't like is it has a 60 second auto shutoff. There is a way to hack the cam, but I didn't want to try that. I just get my plane ready to take off, turn on the the cam, put it on the plane, snap a pic then take off. You must shoot a pic within every 60 seconds. No big deal really just kind of annoying.