Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Recording options

Old 06-14-2004, 07:48 PM
EObrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recording options

Hello all, I have read a lot in these forums, and decided to join. Here's my first question:

What are the ways one has of recording your video?
I know of one, a camcorder, but im looking for other inexpensive ways. My pc has a capturing card, if that helps.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:17 PM
SNoWJackal

Default RE: Recording options

EObrad,

I cap all my video on my PC right now. This works but every step of the setup looses some quality. This setup also works for me because I fly so close to my apartment well actually I just step out my back door and give it a toss. On my setup I have ran about 50 feet of cable for the power and the analog video out from to the receiver. I loose quality with the longer cables and I loose quality from the capture card I have. The card I have is an older card I picked up for cheap when I was stationed in Korea. Then I loose a little more encoding the video, all this combined with the fact that the camera I have is a cheap e-bay special makes for viewable but low quality video. That being said I have been having a blast playing with my Video Plane and I have less then $40 invested in the camera system. So for me this setup works, at least for now..... I'm already scoping a CCD security camera I got for cheap on e-bay to see what I can to rig this up to provide a better picture and I'm looking into a 2.4ghz rx and tx. If you have any questions I will try to help you out.

-SNoWJackal
Old 06-14-2004, 09:54 PM
EObrad

I cant do that because i fly far away from home :/
Old 06-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Skycam41

The cheapest way is to hook it up to a VHS camcorder that has video "in" connection. You may want to purchase an invertor so you can plug your recording device into it for power from your car cigarette lighter socket. If you have an invertor you could take a VCR with you or small TV/VCR combo. Invertors are pretty inexpensive and you can always find more uses for it other than just recording your plane flights. Just a thought.

Mike
Old 06-16-2004, 05:39 PM
EObrad

Thank you so much. I like that vcr idea. So what would be an example of a small tv/vcr combo.

Now on to the wireless setup, what is the cheapest one available? Ive seen some on ebay, how good is the quality?
Old 06-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Skycam41

Up here in Canada you can get a TV/VCR combo for about $175 CDN and I am sure you could find a good deal at Target, Costco etc. The hardest thing is to be able to see the screen clearly, that sounds strange but looking at a TV outdoors on a bright day is hard as the picture looks all washed out unless you are in shade or the screen is shaded.

There are many ways of getting into aerial video and it comes down to dollars! If you want TV looking quality then you have to pay the bucks for it. If you are satisfied with weak colours, a fuzzy picture and drop outs (temporary loss of signal) then go for the ebay spy type cameras that can be bought for pretty darn cheap. If you want quality then go to Bill at http://www.blackwidowav.com/ There really is not much in between. The other solution is to use a digital camera that has a video "out" connection on it that can be hooked dirrectly to a wireless TX set up. The picture from a digital camera is far better then the cheap CMOS and even some CCD camera's.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:24 PM
gernith

OK, you made me look for something... hows this?:

[link=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006HMOH/esllounge-20/103-4045537-9439862?dev-t=D9UG47VDWFO8S%26camp=2025%26link_code=xm2&ref=nosim]Magnavox MC092DMG 9" TV/VCR Combo[/link]

9" AC/DC TV/VCR Combination
Front AV and earphone jacks
Removable sun screen
Built-in carry handle
Auto clock set and auto head cleaner for VCR

I have no hands on knowledge about this product. (other than what you have read on this page)
Old 06-21-2004, 11:08 PM
SNoWJackal

looks nice but for a few dollors more you could get a camcorder that does video in.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:24 PM
EObrad

where is that camcorder that holds video in for "a few dollars more"
Old 06-22-2004, 02:05 PM
SNoWJackal

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=678831

add up the price of a TV VCR combo with a voltage inverter, I figure in the $120-150 range for less then $100 more you can get a camcorder that will do the same things but you will be able to use it for a myriad of other things.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:13 PM
EObrad

I can actually get the spy cam, the inverter, and a used 13" tv/vcr combo for $100-$110. But thats a good one to consider, good price i wonder if there's cheaper ones [>:]
Old 06-22-2004, 03:14 PM
AutoMike

WoooHoo! thanks snowjackal! i snaged myself one while they still had them. My wife has been wanting a Digital still cam and I want something for recording flight video, covers both it looks like. Piper
Old 06-22-2004, 03:16 PM
EObrad

yep its on ebay for about $130, but where does it say it's got VIDEO IN?

Piper: Ebay item 3822862085
Old 06-22-2004, 03:32 PM
AutoMike

It states AV output/input in the add that snowjackal posted a link to. Bought mine already on Overstock.com.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:35 PM
AutoMike

Whats its going to sell for plus they want $26 to ship it I bet I got just as good of price on overstock.com.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:58 PM
AutoMike

WEll I canceled my order for the cam. It took some searching on the net but I found it records vedio at only 10fps! UUGH..Turns out its a still camera that can record small amount of video. O.K. Back to square one. Need to ask fubar what he's using. I cant remember, not to mention how hard it looks to be to find out the specs on if camcorders can record fron the AV inputs form retail sites. Piper
Old 06-22-2004, 08:41 PM
CenTexFlyer

I have a 9" Panasonic TV/VCR combo that operates off of 12 volts. Works like a champ! You can view the video on screen and record at the same time with power from your cig lighter in your vehicle.

CTF