Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

How about a 480 line CCD Bullet Camera?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

How about a 480 line CCD Bullet Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Skycam41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about a 480 line CCD Bullet Camera?

OK, so I suppose everyone is tired of my questions and wish I would hurry up, buy something and dissapear[&o]

I am just trying to get the best equipment for the least amount of money...is that not everyones goal? After all, I do not want to get a system and wish I had gotten something different.

So, having said that I think I shall be going 12V as my plane will have no problems with the weight. That leaves me trying to find a high resolution camera. I have thought about the slim bullet type and came across this 480 line 1/3" Sony CCD Chip camera...any thoughts from anyone in the "know?" http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...095712263&rd=1

Cheers and thanks for all your help

Mike
Old 05-13-2004, 01:01 PM
yb2normal

Default RE: How about a 480 line CCD Bullet Camera?

That looks like a fine camera.

What I really like is the voltage requirements which lists "+ or - 10%"

This implies that they have a good voltage regulator inside that will protect the camera from a slight overvoltage. I bought a really cheap bullet camera off ebay once and blew it up when I applied 13 volts to it... one volt over and poof! Not so cheap anymore!

One very small gotcha that you might not realize is that most of these cameras ship with a BNC connector for video, so be prepared to either buy an adapter or cut the connector off and add an RCA connector.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Bill
Old 05-13-2004, 02:19 PM
IA-Flyer

That looks like a nice camera Mike.
With a 1/3” 480 line HAD CCD and .05 lux, I bet the resolution and clarity would be awesome. The Sony camcorders with HAD sensors usually look very nice indeed!
The only questions I would have are lens angle and how much it weighs.
I’m pretty sure SuperCircuits sells Sony HAD board cameras, but at a much higher price.
If you pick one up and mod it for RC use, could you post some pictures?
Old 05-13-2004, 03:39 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Bill and Mike, Radio Shack, :<((, sells an adaptor for BNC - RCA.....both ways.

(But then I see Bill knew that!)
Old 05-14-2004, 07:48 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

I saw a bullet camera with excellent resolution that took a half second or so to color balance when going from the ground to the sky. It would have a bluish tint and then would fix itself. It's too bad as the picture quality was great but it would drive you nuts if flying aerobatics. The quickest way to check this is to pass your hand back and forth in front of the lens and see how much time it takes.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:43 AM
yb2normal

Brian makes an excellent point... even if the technical spec's look great, the DSP designers decisions around color balance and exposure might not appeal to you.

The only way to tell for sure is to buy-it and try-it. That's why I generally advocate purchasing from a 'regular' online vendor, like Supercircuits. They generally have very liberal return policies. Even though they will cost a few dollars more, it can be cheaper in the long run if you end up not liking the camera and you want to try two, or even three cameras.

Regards,
Bill
Old 05-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Skycam41

This has been a most interesting but for the most part discouraging venture. I have literally spent hours and hours searching the internet for vendours that sell a quality camera (on paper that is). I have sent countless emails to ask specific questions such as horizontal field of view, can the lens be changed, does the camera handle light changes rapidly and specified the application I want to use their camera in etc. Very few have bothered to email me back and the ones that have, rarely answered all my questions and if they did it was a yes or no. No one has offered any help as far as suggestions to another product that might be more suitable. I like the idea of a bullet camera as they are rugged, streamlined and easy to install.

Another good point that was brought up here is if it does not work right can it be returned etc...living in Canada this is a very valid point and one that could be a real issue sending things back and forth...[&o] I guess I am just dissapointed in the lack of service from these places.....which would be a good indication not to expect after sales service if they can't be bothered with before sales purchase@!
Old 05-14-2004, 03:55 PM
IA-Flyer

That’s why web boards like this are so important!
If you try something unusual, post the results on the board so we can see how it worked for you!

The safe bet is probably the Panasonic CX-171 and it wouldn’t be that much more expensive than the Sony you are looking at on ebay.
Most reports I’ve read on the 171 have been good, although there was one where they said it was no better than the 161/121.

I saw a video on a different forum somewhere and the quality and resolution absolutely blew me away! Someone asked them what they were using for their setup and they said they were using the BlackWidowAV video system but wouldn’t say what they were using for the camera! Honestly, it looked better than some camcorder footage I’ve seen and had to be 500 lines. I guess some people just like to keep things a secret and I don’t understand why.

By the way. Don’t go away when you get things working, stay and post some videos!
Old 05-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Skycam41

Well I might just have to eat my words, well not all of them! I did get a good reply from the link below where the chap was very helpful and gave his opinion based on my needs. Interesting camera specs but pricey...I did find the same one for $30 less elsewhere.

Who sells the CX-171?

Thanks for all the info guys....I'm getting closer!!

Mike

http://www.protectiondepot.com/bulletcameras.asp (the KPC650)
Old 05-18-2004, 12:09 AM
Skycam41

Default Finally made my mind up!

OK, I have finally made my mind up and have items ordered. I went with 12V as weight is not a problem in my application and it offered more camera choices. Here is what I am going with.

2.4ghz 600mw 12V RX/TX

KPC650 480 line, 0.05 lux, Sony 1/3 CCD camera (other focal length lenses are available (that was a big factor in the choice). Best price I found on the camera was $179 including a lens of your choice, cables etc.

http://www.protectiondepot.com/kpc650.asp (these guys were very helpful).

So I can quit bugging you all now and thanks for those who helped and PM'd me.

Cheers

Mike

Go Flames Go
Old 05-18-2004, 01:58 PM
CenTexFlyer

Default RE: Finally made my mind up!

And of course, when you get it all set up and flying, you'll give us a complete and detailed report with example video, right!?!?!?[8D]

CTF
Old 05-29-2004, 05:48 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

That is a very very nice heavy camera.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:16 PM
yb2normal

ORIGINAL: Skycam41

KPC650 480 line, 0.05 lux, Sony 1/3 CCD camera (other focal length lenses are available (that was a big factor in the choice). Best price I found on the camera was $179 including a lens of your choice, cables etc.

http://www.protectiondepot.com/kpc650.asp (these guys were very helpful).
On their website the price shows as $229... Where did you find it for $179?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Skycam41

Bill, I got really lucky....I found one on on Ebay for $179 or buy it now for $189. I called in and was told that they would sell it for $179 which they did although it is in the mail (I hope!). The next day I got an email saying that I got it for an awesome price and that they had since gone up. I checked the ebay ones and they were up to a starting price of $205....see item # 5701460984

I hope mine arrives soon.

Mike
Old 05-30-2004, 01:41 PM
yb2normal

Wow, what a score! I paid over $200 for that camera at Supercircuits. It's a nice camera, VERY sturdy, and the 1/4 x 20 threaded stud can be moved to the top or bottom of the case, giving you a lot of flexibility in mounting.

Let us know once you get it in the air.

Bill
Old 05-30-2004, 03:49 PM
IA-Flyer

Bill, I'd love to see your spare parts pile!
How did it compare to the CX171? Did you weigh it?
Do you have any video from it or the 171???
Do you know of any video on the internet somewhere using the 171?
Did you… Do you…

I’m going to need a high-res camera some day and can’t decide what to get.

Jim
Old 06-01-2004, 01:17 AM
yb2normal

I haven't done a side-by-side between the cameras.

I've shot exactly one video using the CX171 and by the time you render it down for the internet, the difference between the two is lost upon me... although I did have a guy notice the difference and specifically ask if I was using the CX171, so go figure.

Cyberflyer has done some tests with the CX171 and he had nothing but good things to say about it. He said it had more lines of resolution than his Sony camcorder!

Bill
Old 06-01-2004, 09:46 PM
IA-Flyer

Thanks Bill