Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

What 12v supply do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 10:01 AM
forus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 12v supply do you use?

I just wanted to see what kind of power supply you use for your 12v on-board video equipment. I have used 8x1.2 (AA) but would like to try something more practical in size and weight.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:15 AM
yb2normal

Default RE: What 12v supply do you use?

A lot depends on the transmitter and how tolerant it is of under and over voltages, but I use a 3 cell li-poly pack on my 12v transmitters with good success.

Just be sure your camera is equally tolerant of voltage fluctuations, I got a "deal" on a color bullet camera on ebay and managed to fry it when I used an unregulated 12v supply which hit the camera with around 14v.

Bill
Old 06-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I am using 10 1100mAh AA nicads for the 12v system on my Kadet Senior. That weight really isnt an issue for that plane. I assume you are also using 10 cells for yours since 8X1.2 gives you 9.6v.
ORIGINAL: forus

I just wanted to see what kind of power supply you use for your 12v on-board video equipment. I have used 8x1.2 (AA) but would like to try something more practical in size and weight.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:39 AM
forus

Fubar-One

No, actually I used 8 regular AA cells (1.5V). Wirelessvideocameras (the company) supplied only the batteryholder for 8 AAs. I haven't used this system for 4 years (only been fooling around with a small short range cam on my Hornet and combatwing), so I will power it up again this summer. I think I might take to 9v batteries in serial connection and regulate it down to 12v. Should be lighter than 10 AAs. I would like the li-poly solution, but I don't have a charger at the moment.
I need to keep weight down, because I am buying a Kyosho Calmato to be set up with GPS telemetry, and it all adds up.....