Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Flying Wing for AP..........why not?

Old 06-10-2004, 01:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying Wing for AP..........why not?

I have noticed that alot of people use Slow Sticks for AP. However I live in Kansas and it's very windy here. I understand that Slow Sticks don't handle winds above 10mph well.

Consequently I considered using one of my flying wings (specifically the Zagi 400X) for AP. Is there any reason why a Slow Stick would be superior or why a flying wing would be dramatically inferior? Does anyone use a wing for AP?

Thanks a bunch,
Brad
Old 06-10-2004, 03:07 PM
TPierce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flying Wing for AP..........why not?

I have heard a few people using flying wings for AP. I dont, but with a light wireless cam it will be fine. The Slow Stick is stable and cheap thats why it is so popular. You can come up with a lot of mods for it too.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:27 PM
forus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used a flying wing the past three years for aerial photography and wireless video. Works great! Only problem is that you cant hang the equipment up under the wing, facing downwards. I made a hole in the wing to shoot straight down. What I love about the wing is that I only have to remember charging it, since the thing is in one piece. Using wireless videoequipment I can do aerobatics, fast, grasscutting lowpasses. I have a Slow Stick too, and it is great for photographing but boring to fly! Sorry..... I can fly the wing in all sorts of wind, and use it for soaring.... I have to admit, I am locked on wings. My next cam plane design will be a 9ft wing, fully glassed with retracts......just need to build it!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:22 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your replies,
I must admit, I'm a wing-nut! They fly in wind like nobodies business & you can crash the heck out of them with nary a scratch. I was thinking that you could mount the camera on the bottom & perhaps surround it with foam skids so that it doesn't get damaged in landing..........maybe even recess it some.

So then, why aren't more people using wings. Is there a down-side?

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 06-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, the downsides I can think of based on my own Zagi/Razor experiences are:
No under wing camera mounting. Cant look down! You could stick the camera on the nose looking down but if you land the way I land... Hasta La Vista, Camera!
A wing is not the most stable platform for an aerial camera/video system. Barf-o-rama. I experienced this with my Bowman's Hobby Super Scooter EPP combat glider. Not a wing but a bit hard on the eyes video wise. I have flown this sucker in sandblast wind conditions but it is very twitchy, much like a Zagi.
Mostly guys pick the Slow Stick because it is a very slow stable flyer.
Actually, if you can figure out a way to stick a wireless video system in a Zagi, I would love to see the results! Would probably have to be brushless...
Honestly, the lack of a brushless system is why I havent tried it myself.
ORIGINAL: 777

Thanks for your replies,
I must admit, I'm a wing-nut! They fly in wind like nobodies business & you can crash the heck out of them with nary a scratch. I was thinking that you could mount the camera on the bottom & perhaps surround it with foam skids so that it doesn't get damaged in landing..........maybe even recess it some.

So then, why aren't more people using wings. Is there a down-side?

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 06-11-2004, 08:30 AM
forus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just have too comment the down looking cam on a wing. I made a hole for the lense (through the wing )right in front of the 400 speed motor, and pointed my Mustek straight downward, no problem and totally protected for bad landings. As mentioned earlier, the wings are unbreakable. My first cyber flight using videoglasses was done with the wing. No propeller in the field of view, and my bad landing did no damage to the plane.
I will upgrade to brushless, but using 8-cells on a Speed 400 combined with a Gunther prop give amazing performance!
I have included a photo that I posted earlier this year. It is shot sideways on my foam wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42319.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	142062  
Old 06-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shows ya what I know!
I havent done a lot with still photography after my failed experiments with a 35mm autofocus and a Right Flyer 40T. I managed to get my hands on an Aiptek 1.3 pencam and am in the process of getting the gear together to do the Cam Man switch for it. Got the programmer built and the PIC's should arrive today. I have a 400X with a cobalt motor handy that hasnt been flown in a while. Was planning on putting the Aiptek on a Slow Stick but the Zagi angle is becomming interesting...
ORIGINAL: forus

Just have too comment the down looking cam on a wing. I made a hole for the lense (through the wing )right in front of the 400 speed motor, and pointed my Mustek straight downward, no problem and totally protected for bad landings. As mentioned earlier, the wings are unbreakable. My first cyber flight using videoglasses was done with the wing. No propeller in the field of view, and my bad landing did no damage to the plane.
I will upgrade to brushless, but using 8-cells on a Speed 400 combined with a Gunther prop give amazing performance!
I have included a photo that I posted earlier this year. It is shot sideways on my foam wing.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:59 AM
CenTexFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My entire quiver of planes for AP are wings. I have been working on the ZagNutz platform for three years now to get it to its' most stable form - strictly for this job. I fly both still and video and have the vid mounted on a servo to tilt from looking forward to straight down. I am currently working on a design that has an underslung "turret" that houses all the camera gear. The entire turret (and camera) can be tilted from 20 degrees for oblique pictures to straight down for ortho shots. For landing, the turret swivels all the way up to protect the sensitive camera gear.

Pros for the wings are:

1. Wings will fly in high winds - my last AP sortie was in 35 mph winds!
2. They are very durable
3. Easy to protect equipment - not hanging out in the breeze like SloStick
4. Only two servos for control
5 Takes off and lands in very short spaces
6. Simple airframe, builds VERY fast - 4 hours!
7. Can haul the freight (2 lbs!) when properly powered
8. Looks cool!

Cons are :

1. Takes some time getting oriented in the air
2. A little less stable than a SloStick
3. Takes a little more thought in laying out/installing equipment.

Plans to build the ZagNutz are at http://home1.gte.net/texhills/index.html

CTF
Old 06-12-2004, 09:50 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm increasingly convinced that a wing is the way to go.

Another question that I had was about switches. Are either of these http://home.att.net/~mechconsultant3/Order.htm or http://www.rc-cam.com/projects.htm good sources for those switches?

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 06-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe the first guy is on hiatus and is no longer taking orders. I am in the process of building the RC-Cam man switch right now. You need a PIC programmer and the software along with the PIC's. I got my programmer kit from [link=http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/prog/ck1702.htm]Carl's Electronics[/link]
The software (LATEST VERSION!) can be downloaded from [link=http://inxm.net/zip/paw015a.zip]Here.[/link]
The software key to unlock can be purchased at [link=http://www.dontronics.com/cat_index_soft.html]Dontronics.[/link]
The PIC's I bought from Radio Shack online Catalog #: 900-8632.
Built the programmer and programmed some of the chips.
Now I gotta take the Aiptek apart, get a couple of more components and get soldering.
The programmer kit was pretty easy to assemble. FOLLOW the Camman instructions carefully before you program your first chip.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm increasingly convinced that a wing is the way to go.

Another question that I had was about switches. Are either of these http://home.att.net/~mechconsultant3/Order.htm or http://www.rc-cam.com/projects.htm good sources for those switches?

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 06-13-2004, 07:10 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm all thumbs with a soldering iron. Is there soneone who does them for the inexperienced solderer?

Thanks for your input,
Brad
Old 06-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Fubar-One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe you can buy an assembled and tested PIC programmer from Dontronics.com. I would have purchased one of those but I also needed a power supply and decided I was too cheap to pay for shipping from two places so went for the kit and power supply from Carl's Electronics.
The kit definitely calls for a good iron with a fine tip and, in my case, a BIG magnifying glass. My folk's genes are finally catching up with me as for as vision goes. That or my arms are shrinking...

I'm all thumbs with a soldering iron. Is there soneone who does them for the inexperienced solderer?

Thanks for your input,
Brad