Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

MiniDV... It's the Bomb!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Rj-TailSpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MiniDV... It's the Bomb!!!

After 2 1/2 years+ of screwing around with VHS, then S-VHS, then new cameras, then new TX/RXers, then various mind blowing combinations of this encoder/CODEX, then Dazzle hardware, then AllInWonder ATI.... on and on... I was NEVER satisfied! I finally went out and purchased a Canon MiniDV and WOW, What a difference!!! I mean even my lower than low pinhole quality CCD camera can shoot good video!!! I am amazed! Guys seriously, don't waste your money on VHS anymore. Importing the VHS/S-VHS video into a computer, via composite or S-Video, is a quality killer and confidence damaging. This firewire importing without lost is exactly what the doctor order!

I also burned my first DVD today. It is a small charity project. Nothing too special, but man did it feel good watching the aerials on my DVD player in my living room! I figured if that DVD player reads it... I must have done something right! Sometimes that DVD player won't read Family Video DVDs without searching the chapters. This time it worked perfectly. It was so cool watching my video I had just built.

Now I plan on making an Action DVD to promote my aerial business. Any ideas on what and how to shot? Yes Tex... I'll try to get the UglyNutz flying! It's a long story, in short, I built a Nutz, called it UglyNutz, but I put such a large motor/prop on her... I'm scared to give it a toss... I don't want to lose an hand. I know it will fly, controlling it is another thing. The CG was far too back. Once I get her flying, I'll post the flights all together.

Anyways... I am so excited about performing aerials! I have found new hope for producing quality RC aerials!!! I feel like I just turned the corner and saw the christmas tree!!!

Rob
Old 06-22-2004, 08:44 PM
CenTexFlyer

Default RE: MiniDV... It's the Bomb!!!

You dawg you!

I've been eyeballing those things for awhile too! I am torn between that and a Nikon 3700 for aerial video.

Do you record from your downlink to the Canon MiniDV? What's your setup with that one?

Gene
Old 06-23-2004, 06:09 AM
stevennh

I have been using a Sony TRV-17 for a while now. The quality is just outstanding and there is no loss when dubbing using the 1394 cable (as you stated). I really like Mini-DV...

Steve
Old 06-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Rj-TailSpin

I went with the Canon Elura. With it comes a cable with RCA connectors as most Canon's do. This port is used for input and output of composite signals i.e. VCR, TV or wireless video. When in VCR mode, the wireless link composite signal is fed into the camera. When enabled, it's possible to see the wireless feed. The recorder doesn't start until you press another button. I wish I had five hands! Once I get my Pan/Tilt operating... I'm going to be a busy controller freak! I still don't know how I'm going to control everything without a second person.

What I like best about this configuration is... how much less stuff I must carry and setup. Just an antenna, a few cables, a small 12 volt battery and the MiniDV. No TV, VCR, Inverter etc... It really helps limit the packing and setup time. It's all more mobile and convenient.

The draw back is the cost of the media and only being able to record an hour per tape. Normally, an hour is plenty for a job, but it was nice to record 6 hours per tape. I haven't played with the extended record function on the MiniDV. I want the best record quality possible. If the extended record mode works well... this might not be a draw back afterall.

Durability and realibility still remains to be seen. The Elura is so small... I'm tempted to mount it in a plane! Laugh... it cost less than my latest NASCAR cam! But, I'm sure it won't handle 70Gs though! It's amazing how many little gears etc... etc... etc... are inside the MiniDV. When I look inside the tape loader... it's one delicate looking device. Hard to believe something that small can be built. Simply amazing!!!

Now, back to the ideas! I want to make a promo for aerials. Any ideas?

Rob
Old 06-23-2004, 03:28 PM
AutoMike

Hey RJ. Witch model of alura? 70...60 or what? Thanks. Piper
Old 06-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Rj-TailSpin

Elura 70. I had such a difficult time figuring out which one purchase. I looked at both sony and Canon at the end. The specs they share on their literature doesn't really tell the story. You have to read the fine print they don't write! I am tired of marketing these days. Not until you open the box do you really know what you bought.

Having said that... the Elura 70 is working out just great. The only thing I wish I could do is switch from in Elura 70 camera to wireless feed and back on the fly. Not possible. It takes a few button pushes, time, and almost two hands to do so.

Rob