Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

I chased a tornado today, but

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Rj-TailSpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I chased a tornado today, but

It got away!!! Those firemen sure can block the roads fast!!! I need a better plan if I am going to capture raw tornado carnage/damage. Almost was asked to help find a missing driver. They found a Lexus, but no driver. Turns out the driver was just walking around taking pictures! The firemen were happy to hear that because they didn't want to tour the swamp looking for a body. I found an area of long grass which the tornado made a real crop circle... had the wind dropped... I would have captured it from the sky. There was a farm house where the barn's roof was parked in the double garage... unbelieveable!!!

Note the self... BE FASTER THAN THOSE FIREMEN!!!
Rob
Old 07-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: I chased a tornado today, but

[X(]
Old 07-14-2004, 12:27 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

i know all about those firemen blocking off roads to things like that. and i gotta tell you your gonna have to be fast to beat us hehe
Old 07-14-2004, 11:31 AM
My Feedback: (1)

At the risk of sounding preachy.......

I live in tornado alley myself & fully understand how exciting they can be. However rescue & emergency crews are always pleading with us to remain away from the area of a tornado so that they can tend to injured victims without having to deal with copious traffic.

Surely if you or your family were injured, you would rightly be upset to hear that rescue crews had been delayed because of rubber-neckers. People's lives can hinge on rescue crews quick response.

I would venture to guess that you could probably still get great footage if you waited several hours until the emergency situation had passed. After all, trees will still be down and houses destroyed for a long time!

Hope that I don't offend..
Brad
Old 07-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Rj-TailSpin

No offense taken. I wasn't immediately behind the tornado. I had to pack up all equipment theplane, charge batteries, etc... The people I spoke to were manning blocked off roads. This tornado was in a country side over a wide area with only a few roads which were blocked off. I did find one road which I and a bunch of voluteers/helpers/cleaners were on. The farm lost a 150 year barn and the barns' roof was in the garage 200' away. I didn't fly over the mess, even though I was asked by the property owner because the winds were far too high as another storm passed to the South. I could have flown, but I didn't deem it safe. I really wanted to fly over a field where the tornado made a perfect crop circle... it was wild. I certainly don't want to make news only capture footage of it. So I understand and respect your point of view.

Had the man missing been really lost and not a rubbernecker... I could have been used by the state boys and the fire department to find the missing person. I spoke with both of them and they are interested. I have found three missing model planes which went down over the past three years. Perhaps immediate aerials can help. I am thinking about getting labeling on my vehicle to notify the public i.e. Aerial Footage Vehicle (or something like that) What do you think would be good labling?

Rob
Old 07-15-2004, 05:29 PM
SkyDude

How 'bout ARV - Aerial Reconnaissance Vehicle

But what kind of plane is it? If you're going to want to go up during or just after a tornado, wouldn't you be dealing with winds in excess of 25-30 mph? That plus no real runway, telephone polls, trees, etc. would seem to make if difficult to get your plane back, or at least get good video.