Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone using TINYTRAK for GPS

Hi.

I tested my complete video/telemetry setup in my testbed, a Kyosho Calamato, today. Cool flying around using videoglasses with GPS overlay. My TinyTrak is ready for use, but I haven't managed to configure my laptop yet. I am planning of using AGWengine and UI-view to processd the aprs packet information.
    Anyone here that can give me a hint how to proceed to make the tracking work?

Also, anyone know if an amplifier can be added to the transmitter (Graupner mc-12)? Thats the difficult part to stay in the area of the flying field when using "pilot view".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Anyone using TINYTRAK for GPS

I would like to implement a GPS overlay also. If you get it working let me know.
    Rob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You may already be aware of it, but there is a Yahoo group that may have the info you need if no one here does:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TinyTrak/

Ensignnolo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are decoding packets, your almost there.

Do you have any maps of your area? If not, use the maptool plugin for ui-view and get some good maps of where you will be flying..

Once you have the maps, when you start recieving packets from your transmitter, your callsign will appear on the screen. I would suggest several different maps of your area so when you travel out of a map, UI-view will auto switch to the next map that fits the best.

Double click your icon for realtime flight data, and I believe you right click your call sign and select track. In some set-up screens, you can insert your callsign to auto-track your callsign when it is recieved. Also kind of amusing is the voice announce of your callsign when it starts to see it. One other thing to do is to start logging and then save the log so you can play the flight back at a later date. My set-up works better if I send packet info every 4 seconds instead of every 1 sec.

good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to experiment abit more. I am not sure that the decoding is working properly. I bought an already built TinytrakIII and I haven't tried to configure it throuh the laptop. Do anyone know if its default config will make it work for APRS decoding? (I guess I should have a look at the Tinytrak forum!).

Anyway, the GPS overlay works perfect. I have flown 5 testflights with the system now, partly using videoglasses. I am really tempted to try to land with videoglasses. I had a "copilot" on my last flight who monitored the speed when stalling and landing. Still, the main problem is to stay within the area when flying.....I should setup a sound alarm when the TinyTrak is working telling me when I reach the border of my defined max range! My 40 size model is flying like a real plane now. Being heavy I have to do gentle take offs and landings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just wondering how far out are your flying or thinking of setting your max range ? Just getting started withe the on board video and have flown by it a few times. Just wondering how far out most are flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: raytheon

Just wondering how far out are your flying or thinking of setting your max range ? Just getting started withe the on board video and have flown by it a few times. Just wondering how far out most are flying.
    Not sure about other people raytheon but with out an autopilot installed I keep the max at ½ mile or less with out a spotter and under ¾ mile with one.
    You need to do radio and video system range tests to find the safe limits of your system.
    Jim (IA-Flyer)
    KC0RIV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have an autopilot that I haven't built yet, so I fly very close to myself. I fly as far out as I do when doing regular rc flying. Does anyone have any good tip how to range check the radio system and find out the limit without the need for practical experience?

Also, to use TinyTrakIII with UI view, do I have to do any config changes to the tinytrak or is the default setup ok?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what are you using for your telemetry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought an already built TinytrakIII and I haven't tried to configure it throuh the laptop. Do anyone know if its default config will make it work for APRS decoding? (I guess I should have a look at the Tinytrak forum!).
    it will work, but the default config has a 1 minute beacon interval, IIRC.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally set up a TinyTrak in my SS. I am using a Map 330 GPS to a TinyTrak to the audio input on the Black Widow 600mw xmitter. Receive end is the AGWengine and UI-view and an IBM laptop. Clicking on "station" and then right clicking on the station heard displays some telemetry on the laptop. All I can say is it works. Im not real sure how usefull it is, but if you like to tinker its pretty neat.
    Thanks,
    Tom P.
    \"Nosen Cessna 310 Club #10\"