Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Photo editing ?

Old 07-20-2004, 04:10 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Photo editing ?

OK, is this TV hype or what ? Are there any photo editors out there that can enhance and clarify like they do on tv ? Like on CSI ? I am thinking that is all hype and they do not exist. Where they take a little blurred image of a liscence plate and clear it up until you can read the sticker on it. Or clear it up until you can see the hair on a gnat's butt at 1000 yards. Just curious
Old 07-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Photo editing ?

nope not possible
Old 07-20-2004, 04:41 PM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are limits to what can be done, but some amazing results are possible. VERY blurred license plate photos or videos can be cleared up very nicely. It is a process that involves point spread functions, digital filtering, and other image trickery. For example: http://www.c3.lanl.gov/~tmc/deblur/main.shtml

I wasn't aware that gnats had hairs on their bee-hinds.

RC-CAM
Old 07-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok so its not possible for the "average joe"
Old 07-20-2004, 07:15 PM
IA-Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some people enhance their old VHS tapes before converting them to DVD by capturing the same tape several times and using the overlay function in their video editor to merge the captures together. You can’t really add anything that isn’t on the tape, but it does increase the resolution over just one capture.

But hey, it’s TV
Old 07-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Rj-TailSpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had good luck with a free program called Virtual Dub. You can apply filters which change the output. A nice feature is... it's all real time. You can change something, or in other words add a filter, preview it immediately with a input and output screen side by side... if you don't like it... delete it. I liked to add more color, crop the edges, de-interlace, intensity the image and one other thing I can't remember what it is. It really works well for windows media files. The guy that wrote it surely didn't take the short bus to school-grin.

The latest software I use is called Nero. It came with my Sony DVD double layer burner. This software is excellent. First off... it worked right out of the box, unlike Pinnacle, Wave Studio, or Dazzle. The menus prompt you for everything from capturing the video right down to burning a project DVD. It really is nice to get a video editting program which really works!!! I can add filters just like the Virtual Dub. However, I think Virtual Dub is more user friendly. One thing which really impressed me is the screen snapshot feature. I can capture a good quality picture from any video I captured. It's sweet.

Rob
Old 07-21-2004, 02:16 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maximum Entropy Deconvolution is a really nice process for out of focus images, i'm surprised it isn't included in photoshop. it is used heavily in astronomy images, take a look at the results... Using a filter like this you can easily get out of focus stuff to a usable state. There are also technics with subpixel concepts that are fairly powerful.

http://www.phasespace.com.au/maxent.htm