Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Kadet 900: 900mhz yagi antenna test!

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Kadet 900: 900mhz yagi antenna test!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kadet 900: 900mhz yagi antenna test!

Latest effort:
I put the 900mhz system back in the Kadet Senior and my father followed the flight with an 11 element yagi antenna he happened to have laying around. Phenomenal results!
I figure I was at a altitude of some 1200'+ at one point. The Kadet was a speck directly over head. The only signal dropouts were when my dad put down the yagi to check the video.
I also hard mounted the camera to the wing without the servo. Huge difference but due to the camera being soft mounted in the case with sponge rubber I am still getting some vibration at full throttle. Half throttle, however, is smooth as glass. Dead stick smoother still![:-]
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Kadet%20900.wmv]Kadet 900[/link]

Also: new video with the new BWAV 200mw system in the Wingo. Got that sucker dialed in!
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Wingo%20Redux.wmv]Wingo Redux[/link]

Hoping to get some video of someplace different in the near future. Basin video didnt turn out well.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:27 PM
yb2normal

Default RE: Kadet 900: 900mhz yagi antenna test!

Awesome video!

I especially like how you faded out in the last scene... very clever edit.

Bill
Old 08-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Skycam41

Ahhhh, I tip my hat to the aerial video "king" as that was awesome! Good toe tapping music, scenary to boot and a gorgeous dead stick landing, not like someone esle around here that lands into a potato field. I think you should hook up a massive high start for your Kadet and have an entire silky smooth video...ha ha. Hardmounting the camera seems to be the way to go. I have yet to do some more experimenting with mine, poor weather and high winds have hampered further testing.

Fubar, you talk about your flying site as a dirt field but at least you have something nice to look at once in the air!! Again, very well done with superb results. Next thing you know we will be doing is R/C video rally's where we get together and travel around the country (like the Airstream Trailer club) finding awesome looking scenary to fly in.

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-07-2004, 07:41 PM
echobot

Fubar,

WOW! That was one fantastic video.

What editing software are you using?

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Fubar-One

Wonder how long it would take to fly an RC Cam plane across the country...
Thinking about getting yet another 200mw tx and installing it in my Goldberg Electra glider. THAT would be some smooth video.
Anyone know where I can get some of that reflective tape or stickers that the thermal guys use? I have lost sight of my Kadet twice now so my flights will be a bit lower from now on till I make that sucker more visible from the ground. Blue with white trim is NOT a good choice for this!
With the killer video, tho, I could have run to the monitor and flown it down under the hood.
Still working on the hard mount bit but getting there. I have a set of either Sullivan or DuBro anti vibration mounts I would like to use but dont know if I would have to re-drill the firewall for em or not. If I gotta re-drill, I wont use em. Would have to tear the entire plane apart to do that! I have a second ARF in storage but would hate to assemble it when the original is fine.

We will take the Kadet with the 900mhz system down to Sepulveda Basin on my next monday off and try to shoot video there again. The pistol grip yagi antenna is sure going to make us popular! Probably 6' long with the pvc "gunstock".

Yeah, the lot we take off and land on is a mess of dirt but there is scenery to look at once we get airborne. Lots of neat riding trails in those hills along with a missing Goldberg Electra glider I lost a couple of years ago.

Definitely need some new scenery tho! Might try to get some video from the Porta-Potti field nearby along with Sepulveda Basin. Hoping to get some more slope video once I get rid of the electronic leash next month.

ORIGINAL: Skycam41

Ahhhh, I tip my hat to the aerial video "king" as that was awesome! Good toe tapping music, scenary to boot and a gorgeous dead stick landing, not like someone esle around here that lands into a potato field. I think you should hook up a massive high start for your Kadet and have an entire silky smooth video...ha ha. Hardmounting the camera seems to be the way to go. I have yet to do some more experimenting with mine, poor weather and high winds have hampered further testing.

Fubar, you talk about your flying site as a dirt field but at least you have something nice to look at once in the air!! Again, very well done with superb results. Next thing you know we will be doing is R/C video rally's where we get together and travel around the country (like the Airstream Trailer club) finding awesome looking scenary to fly in.

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Fubar-One

Thanks!

Pinnacle Systems Studio 9.
Excellent program! I highly recommend it.[8D]
ORIGINAL: echobot

Fubar,

WOW! That was one fantastic video.

What editing software are you using?

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Ensignnolo

Fubar-One,
Great Video and editing! Is the 'basin' you spoke of Sepulveda Basin? I was in Anaheim this past week attending a Unmanned Aerial Vehicle show at the convention center, and I forgot my directions to the Antelope Valley Tailwinds club. Almost went to Sepulveda, but didn't. On the way to Edwards AFB for a UAV showcase Monday, I passed the Muroc Model Masters field. Should have stopped by on the way into to the base, as everyone was gone when I left. Of course, the wind was blowing pretty fast, too.

I got to see real Predator A and B models, plus Global Hawk, up close and personal, and with fly-bys down the flight line. It was great to be able to see the real thing. At the static show, many of the close in UAVs like DragonEye were using Cushcraft panel antennas mounted about 8 feet off of the ground. I guess they don't always have someone to point at the plane.

I like the performance you got with the Yagi. My sister just bought me the 600 mw version of the BWAV transmitter/receiver combo. I think I'll fashion a gunstock mount for my Cushcraft PC-2415N Yagi [link=http://www.cushcraft.com/support/pdf/PC2415N.pdf] that's supposed to give 13.9 db gain. That should get me great reception anywhere I fly at my field.

Living in NH, I'm amazed at the wide open spaces people in the west get to enjoy, as far as sight lines are concerned. When driving back and forth from Edawards, and the next day, Joshua Tree, my mind wandered and I dreamed of my own little spread with a main and cross-wind runway!

Any info/pictures on how you built the pistol grip? I don't want to re-invent the wheel, as they say!

Thanks,
Ensignnolo
Old 08-07-2004, 11:53 PM
IA-Flyer

That’s quite a video Dan, very nice!
Hey, where are the corn, beans and snow? Something just doesn’t look right…

The cross-country video flight sounds like fun, count me in!
Old 08-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Fubar-One

Cool deal!
You probably drove right by me if ya went up the 14 at all. We have gotten full surround sound at times from the shuttle landing out there at Edwards.
The pistol grip is pretty much an F shaped pvc construction. The beam is zip tied along the long part of the F (would be pointing downwards looking at this F) with the front spar or grip about 6 inches or so behind the rear of the beam to avoid de-tuning.
Will get a picture of it next weekend when we bring it out again. Dont know if I have it in any of the video or not.
ORIGINAL: Ensignnolo

Fubar-One,
Great Video and editing! Is the 'basin' you spoke of Sepulveda Basin? I was in Anaheim this past week attending a Unmanned Aerial Vehicle show at the convention center, and I forgot my directions to the Antelope Valley Tailwinds club. Almost went to Sepulveda, but didn't. On the way to Edwards AFB for a UAV showcase Monday, I passed the Muroc Model Masters field. Should have stopped by on the way into to the base, as everyone was gone when I left. Of course, the wind was blowing pretty fast, too.

I got to see real Predator A and B models, plus Global Hawk, up close and personal, and with fly-bys down the flight line. It was great to be able to see the real thing. At the static show, many of the close in UAVs like DragonEye were using Cushcraft panel antennas mounted about 8 feet off of the ground. I guess they don't always have someone to point at the plane.

I like the performance you got with the Yagi. My sister just bought me the 600 mw version of the BWAV transmitter/receiver combo. I think I'll fashion a gunstock mount for my Cushcraft PC-2415N Yagi [link=http://www.cushcraft.com/support/pdf/PC2415N.pdf] that's supposed to give 13.9 db gain. That should get me great reception anywhere I fly at my field.

Living in NH, I'm amazed at the wide open spaces people in the west get to enjoy, as far as sight lines are concerned. When driving back and forth from Edawards, and the next day, Joshua Tree, my mind wandered and I dreamed of my own little spread with a main and cross-wind runway!

Any info/pictures on how you built the pistol grip? I don't want to re-invent the wheel, as they say!

Thanks,
Ensignnolo
Old 08-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Mode1Mike

Hey Fubar,

I'm using a 2.4 system. Would a Yagi antennae work well for that. Any disadvantages???
Old 08-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Fubar-One

A yagi antenna will work well on any freq. The one disadvantage of a yagi is you need to keep it pointed at the plane at all times unlike a patch antenna which just needs to be pointed in the general direction. This means you gotta have somebody point the thing OR if you can find one small enough, mount it on top of a bicycle helmet or hardhat. You can do the same with a patch antenna such as the one that Bill (BlackwidowAV.com) sells. That way, as you follow the plane around you will automatically be pointing the antenna at the plane. I just slung my camcorder in the bag over my shoulder. Bit awkward to get everything turned on and recording but no problem whatsoever after that.
Ya get weird looks tho...
Before my father broke down the yagi he has (started out at 6'!) we were playing with the idea of putting it up on his roof and aiming it from his house 5-10 miles or so away to the Dam where we fly to see if we would pick up the signal. Probably would have worked but we didnt try.
ORIGINAL: Mode1Mike

Hey Fubar,

I'm using a 2.4 system. Would a Yagi antennae work well for that. Any disadvantages???
Old 08-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Nik
My Feedback: (12)

Hey fubar, nice video, what is the title of the song in the Kadet video?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:40 AM
VULTCH

All I can say is " SPECTACULAR ". Great job in all aspects. Vultch
Old 08-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Fubar-One

That would be "Flying Away" by Robert Miles.
ORIGINAL: Nik

Hey fubar, nice video, what is the title of the song in the Kadet video?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Fubar-One

Thanks!
ORIGINAL: VULTCH

All I can say is " SPECTACULAR ". Great job in all aspects. Vultch
Old 08-17-2004, 12:51 AM
rcairplanenut

Nice video

Whare are you flying at fubar?

I'm looking to get in to air video, i have been doing air still pictures for a long time.
I'm looking at the black widdow 600mw brown bag thing

I used to have a Sig Kadet for a cam plane but the wing desided to break in a 60ΒΊ turn

Heres a pic I took over Ormond Beach Florida from a plane i designed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81901.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	164733  
Old 08-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Fubar-One

Good pic!
I am flying at a dirt field next to Hansen Dam in So Cal. Its about a 1/4 mile from where Rodney King got beat down.
The BlackwidowAV gear cant be beat in my opinion! The Kadet does make an excellent video/photo platform. Carries quite a lot of payload.
I have a second ARF still in the box (long story) that I am debating on building. Would probably be easier to equip the new one with the anti-vibe mounts than trying to retro-fit the built one.
Dont remember how well I secured the tank!
ORIGINAL: rcairplanenut

Nice video

Whare are you flying at fubar?

I'm looking to get in to air video, i have been doing air still pictures for a long time.
I'm looking at the black widdow 600mw brown bag thing

I used to have a Sig Kadet for a cam plane but the wing desided to break in a 60ΒΊ turn

Heres a pic I took over Ormond Beach Florida from a plane i designed.