Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Slope combat video!

Old 08-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slope combat video!

Spent the day up at Grass Mountain (some might remember that place from my first videos) with the Santa Clarita Soaring Society and friends getting in some excellent sloping. Destroyed (prolly fixable) my Mini Blade during a landing attempt but did get some good air time with my Super Scooter and the BWAV 200mw system taped to the top.
System worked fantastically but my "installation" was pretty Mickey Mouse, consisting of the system literally taped to the top of the fuse. Streamlining? Not on THIS puppy![:-]
Anyway, I got nearly an hour of flight video or would have if I had turned the camcorder on for the second flight. I DID get nearly 30 minutes of flying and combat footage.
Getting another slope combat plane in the camera's field of view is very difficult even when the sky is lousy with EPP. Might consider a wider FOV camera.
The plane itself worked well. Enough so that I might either strip down my existing S-Scooter or build a new one specificially to carry a video system with all the components inside the fuse to keep it streamlined. Without the wind resistance I know I would have been able to keep up with all the other EPP planes and possibly some of the composite planes.
Oh yeah, I suppose I should give the link for the video??
[link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/Grass%20Mountain.wmv]Sloping on Grass Mountain[/link]
Be advised it is a 30 meg file but I wanted the best resolution that was feasable to post.
It will stream or you can right click and save.
I will post a picture of the "installation" tomorrow.

Enjoy!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:06 AM
Mhale71

Default RE: Slope combat video!

i still cant figure out how the hell a slope soarer works...

nonetheless, great video!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:12 PM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Awesome video as usual!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Slope soaring uses a steady wind blowing towards a good sized slope. If it is being funneled thru a valley at the same time, all the better. The wind hitting the slope then is pushed up the slope creating a strong updraft sort of like a directional thermal. The plane simply glides along on the updraft back and forth across the slope. You can reach some terrific speeds depending on what type of plane you use, the ballast on board and how the wind is.
My speeds would have been higher if not for the wind resistance of the video gear strapped to the top of the plane.
Slope soaring is all free lift. Each flight I made that day was about 30 minutes long. The only real time limiting factor is the duration of your rx battery. My Super Scooter has a 1700mAh rx battery and the battery alarm went off after an hour of air time! Its a battery made from the remains of my Zagi 400X pack that is over 3 years old so a new one would have lasted much longer.
ORIGINAL: Mhale71

i still cant figure out how the hell a slope soarer works...

nonetheless, great video!
Old 08-18-2004, 08:22 AM
aaron2874

That cam just plane kicks a!! Another nice vid (which is now expected).