Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Where To Get Video Equipment

Old 09-02-2004, 12:24 PM
TOPGUNNER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where To Get Video Equipment

We are wanting to mount a Camera to are plane but really don't know anything about cameras

if we were to get a very small Camera how does it record video "Memory card??" i just dont get that????

is there a website or somebody have some pointers on some Video Equipment i would appreciate the help...

i'm sure the smaller the lighter.

Whats the best and almost the cheapest camera out there to use.....

looking for a small Pen like camera, but if that wouldnt work out or something else out there better please let me know

Thanks For the Help

john
Old 09-02-2004, 09:47 PM
TOPGUNNER

Default RE: Where To Get Video Equipment

Old 09-02-2004, 11:47 PM
VULTCH

BlackWidow AV site has several systems for onboard live video. Just connect the receiver to a VCR and you have video. Several use modified digital cameras and some use small camcorders. Keep an eye on the forum and see what everyone is using.You can get cheap systems from ebay but that is usually what you get (A cheap system) Vultch.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Superdav
My Feedback: (39)

Try www.microwireless.net for video equipement.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:51 AM
echobot

Topgunner,

Like Vultch said you can get cheap cameras on ebay but you won't be happy with the outcome. I bought a lot of those ebay cameras and was never happy with the video quality. I bought my system from www.microcameras.com and am very happy with the service and quality of this unit.

You can view the different videos I made with the different systems I bought at my webstie. www.glenoaks.edu/ed

Hope this helps

Ed
Old 09-14-2004, 06:59 PM
azfrench

Ed, which videos on your site use the different setups? Thanks

Rick
Old 09-15-2004, 07:18 AM
echobot

Hey Rick,

Here are some of the different setups I have tried on my website. www.glenoaks.edu/ed

The video FIRST AERIAL VIDEO (wmv) was done with the 200 mw 1.2 ghz ebay camera.

The video GLENOAKS COLLEGE (wmv) was done with the 800 mw 1.2 ghz ebay camera

The video AUG 2004 - GOCC #1 was done with the microcameras.com 200 mw 2.4 ghz camera. I had vibration problems in this video.

The video THE CHASE was done with the microcameras.com system above. I think I have most of the vibration problems fixed here.

Then at www.glenoaks.edu/public look for the video NoraH.mpg. This was done with a 200mw 2.4 ghz ebay camera.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:23 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Echobot, I can tell in the first five seconds why the video from micro cams was superior to the one with the 800mw 1.2 ghz camera. I also have the 800 mw camera and you were using the stock camera that came with the transmitter. The camera on the micro cams setup is obviously CCD. I had a CCD camera lying around and put it on the Ebay tx and my video is extremely sharp out to almost a half mile from my kadet. I also power my tx and camera with a 9.6 volt, 1050ma park flyer pack and it gives me much better signal stability and rf strength over using just a 9volt transistor radio battery. I also power the receiver and my tv/vcr combo from a 12 volt marine deep cycle battery. If you attempt to power the tx with the supplied battery connector and a nine volt battery the signal drifts because the battery simply doesn't have the reserve capacity to handle more than a few minutes of video before the frequency starts shifting because of battery strength.
Here is the unit as I got it from the dealer. Email me and maybe I can send you a video tape of some of my flights with the modifications I just mentioned. I believe that especially on a helicopter, if it will handle the weight of the battery pack, that the 800mw camera is still a very doable thing. Very seldom will you see a helicopter flown as far away as a plane and the camera should give you a very good video at those distances. Did you use the cmos camera they sell or a ccd camera? A ccd camera costs about the same as the cmos they sell.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13349.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	177609  
Old 09-28-2004, 07:20 AM
echobot

randall1959,

Who sells a CCD camera for the same as a CMOS?

If you are getting a half a mile on the 800mw I will have to try your modification.

Sure, I would love to see some of your video. I will PM you with my email address.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 09-28-2004, 01:21 PM
randall1959

Echobot....I emailed you some photos of the 2.4 ghz camera and my mods. Also, email me your postal address and I will send you comparison videos that I have made using the three camera setups I have recently purchased. The camera I saw on the website you got your equipment from was advertised as a higher tech cmos, which retails for around eighty dollars and for that amount you can get a ccd camera from www.cctv.com
Old 09-28-2004, 01:45 PM
echobot

ORIGINAL: randall1959

Echobot....I emailed you some photos of the 2.4 ghz camera and my mods. Also, email me your postal address and I will send you comparison videos that I have made using the three camera setups I have recently purchased. The camera I saw on the website you got your equipment from was advertised as a higher tech cmos, which retails for around eighty dollars and for that amount you can get a ccd camera from www.cctv.com

The camera that I bought was the KX121 CCD. I believe it was 89.00.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:51 AM
randall1959

Ok, that's still pretty close to the 79.99 that they want for the high tech cmos. Go ahead and try the parkflyer battery and your ccd and let me know what kind of video you get with it. I think you'll be surprised. It makes a BIG difference, especially using the higher amp battery. Sorry about that link I gave you. Hmmmmm. I've had my ccd camera for about four years and it came from a company called cctv. It's a ccd board camera, which I had to buy the housing for.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Engineman

I flew my Tiny Cam which came from Hong Kong by eBay for $20 plus post. Complete system with receiver. I soon found that the pp9 batteries were not good enough. Made a box and screwed my receiver to it with a 12 volt rechargable battery inside. I also fitted an arm in place of the tuning knob, with a fine screw adjuster rigged up to the arm, allowing fine tuning and cant be knocked out of place. With the receiver placed on top of my car roof and the camera in a special housing fitted to the leading edge of my Mystic, 73" span, Laser 150 powered plane.

Range in the air is good at about 1/2 mile, but if it is off tune, I get drop outs and white interference on the screen. I am recording the receiver output on my Sony TRV 33E Handycam.

I will try again next week, weather permitting. Hope it will be better with the new fine tuning, but it could do with a tuning meter. For $20 (£14.50 plus £9 post) what can one expect! Good enough to encourage me to buy a better system.

Engineman Uk