Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Who does telemetry without having to take out a mortgage?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Who does telemetry without having to take out a mortgage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Skycam41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who does telemetry without having to take out a mortgage?

Is there anyone out there that has telemetry abilities that do not require taking out a 2nd mortgage? Eagletreesystems has a real nice looking unit where you can mount an LCD panel to your TX to view current altitude, speed etc but it's like all th other commercial telemetry oufits, expensive! I am no electonic whizz and programing the clock on the VCR is my limit but is there a way to take a simple (cheap) GPS, stuff it into your plane and send the signal to the ground (overlayed) to your video feed? Or am I out to lunch?!
Mike
Old 09-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Erich_F

Default RE: Who does telemetry without having to take out a mortgage?

check out this system:

http://www.sky-spy.bigstep.com/generic.html?pid=0

Have fun!

Erich
Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 PM
lvspark

http://www.icircuits.com/osd-gps2.htm is cheap and hooks to your video,

but you can also use your audio channel to transmit packet data with a http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/ and have your plane be a moving dot on a satellite image with the flight data displayed in a pop up box. It does not overlay your live video.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:41 PM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

Re: iccircuits.com and tinytrak.

Tiny track looks like a neat little device. I didn't see any information on power/range is that documented somewhere I'm not seeing or does anyone have any ball park figures?

Thanks,

Curt.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:49 PM
lvspark

The tiny track is not a transmitter.. More of a converter.. It takes an rs-232 signal and turns it into a beeping/buzzing audio signal. You put that audio signal into a transmitter (like the audio channel of your a/v tx) and send it to the ground based rx. The audio has to be turned back into rs-232 either by a terminal node controller ( TNC) or you can do it with a laptop sound card. The range is dependant on your radio gear, not the tiny track. Hams use em on weather balloons and go over 100,000' with 1 watt handheld radios for the transmitters....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96347.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	171414  
Old 09-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Deltageek2

Getting many digital channels of info capability is easy- stuff it in there. A GPS should interface well with that kind of link. Calibrating an airspeed sensor would be a project in itself- but the GPS can most likely calculate your groundspeed for you anyway.

A G sensor/recorder would be nice for the Bank and Yankers and measuring the thrust of those RATO rockets strapped on the sides, for instance, used for a big climb to altitude. Strain gauges on the airframe. Battery pack, motor and ESC temperature. You could stuff it with sensors of every kind to tell you... what? This is real Rutan stuff- who flew some of his prototypes by a laptop- But is it too much information? What do you really need to know?

The complexity, weight and expense would detract from the fun at some point- unless you had some compelling reason for a sensor platform- volcano gas research? It would no longer be a fun flyer and it might more resemble a weapons delivery system to some, so understand our curiosity as we check out your nifty geiger counter and bio sensors downlinked to the command trailer for cross country under the plane! Suu-ure... [&:]

For Sailplanes

My idea of telemetry is to use the audio channel of the video downlink to hear a tiny onboard hang gliding audio variometer vary its beep frequency and tone as lift is encountered. This is real NEED TO KNOW STUFF for soaring and no real sailplane is without one- either audio or a readout of some sort!

I can judge my airspeed by the sound of the wind thru the microphone. I can hold the nose at the right point to the horizon in power or glide by video reference. Sight and sound with (audio) instrumentation with just video, a microphone and the hg vario chirping away. I might not be able to tell you where it occured in geographic space- but thermals are like mountains- they are where you find them- but they are not on the map!

Now if we can get that satellite info to include IR images of the thermals above us...
Old 09-18-2004, 05:56 PM
fireguy

I fly with a 2.4 gig downlink to a ground station. I got my system from RotorKraft, they sell a telemetry system that is top notch. I've been using it for over a year with no problems I hook it up to a sony dsc V1 and a 35mm canon rebel depending on the shoot requirements. Never any lines or interference in the video feed to the monitor.

Regards,

Walter
www.RPVaerialphoto.com