Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Mirracle landing, on video!

Old 10-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Skycam41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirracle landing, on video!

Well I debated long and hard wether to show this video or not as there is sure to be someone who will get bent out of shape but that's OK.

Let me explain the circumstances. The local golf course had expressed interest in having some video done from the air and gave me permission to do some test flights. I enlisted the help of 2 very experienced R/C pilots to be spotters and equipment operators. The day of the shoot the golf course notified all golfers that there was some R/C plane activity at low altitudes and to be aware of this.

So my plane was to be flying down a particular fairway, turn and then head back and repeat this till I felt I had enough video. My spotter was at the turn around point where he could clearly see the aircraft and at a certain time would radio in to change course etc. All was going fine and the golfers were more interested in watching than playing it seemed and then it happened. On the last pass all was fine till it was time to power up, and turn at the designated point. My OS .91 FX sputtered and died in the turn, at which point it lost altitude and went behind a tree where I could no more have visual contact.

The Flyin King has a 80" wingspan and so therefore is a pretty large plane. The golf course has tons of trees on it and now I am no longer able to see the aircraft. My spotter was a very quick thinker and immediately started to give insturctions, bearing in mind the plane is already at tree top level. The last instructions I remember receiving was a very clear and loud "Flare, Flare."

Amazingly the FK passed through a gap in a row of trees, headed towards the green on a par 3 hole, made some golfers miss a putt, and incredibly passed through the only gap large enough in a group of trees surrounding the back of the green with only inches on either side of the wingtips and gently landed on its wheels and rolled to a stop just in front of a hedge. Fortunately, absolutely no one was injured and even more amazing was there was no damage to the aicraft. The video caught just about all of it and starts to break up as the plane passes between the trees but it is still very recognisable.

A few lessons were taught here and firstly I was extremely glad that I had taken the time to have support folks with me and that we had taken the time to plan our shoot. Secondly was never to take your equipment for granted thinking that everything will work all the time. It is a new OS 91 that has had proper breaking in and already flown 5 previous flights and I would never had thought it would quit but it did. I am also glad that proper notification was given to all that were on the premesis of the golf course. It would not be right of me not to mention that when saying my prayers that morning I asked for safety for all concerned, that fact that the plane was not harmed was an added bonus

[link=http://www3.telus.net/flyinking/GCT.wmv]CLICK HERE[/link]

At the 1:10 minute mark you start to see a dark object start to flicker on the left of the picture....its a fly wing flapping after it got smucked on the camera!
Cheers

Mike
Old 10-09-2004, 10:22 AM
mklarich

Default RE: Mirracle landing, on video...need temporary host.

Mike, I probably have room on my webserver. How big is file?

email me: mklarich at stoneflyers.com (replace at with @, keep the spamers away)

Matt
Old 10-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Skycam41

Hi Matt...thanks for the offer but I got it on the web now.

Cheers

Mike
Old 10-09-2004, 01:20 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

That was shear luck Mike BTW I sent you some video from my plane flying over Skidmore. You should be receiving it in a couple of days.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:02 PM
VULTCH

Default RE: Mirracle landing, on video!

Fantastic!! Isn't it great to have your own "Air traffic controllers". I don't know what I would do without mine. Great video! Compliments to you and your team. Vultch
Old 10-10-2004, 05:00 PM
TPierce

Great Video, and landing.
That was a pretty high altitude fly
Old 10-10-2004, 06:24 PM
El Pirata

That was a great video.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Skycam41

ORIGINAL: TPierce

Great Video, and landing.
That was a pretty high altitude fly

Thanks for the encouraging words gents!! It could have been a total disaster thats for sure. Actually the video is deceiving as I was using a wide angle lens which makes it look a lot higher than it was. Then lens was about the equivelant to a 24mm in 35mm camera terms. I still cant beleive how it went between those trees (and under the low branches).

Mike
Old 10-10-2004, 10:30 PM
El Pirata

Now you could be playing it off as mad skills.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Rj-TailSpin

Yer plane sure knows how to smell the clear air-grin. Quite a nice video!

Flying over golfers is risky though. I've done a few course flights and I always wait until no one's beneath me. Not easy when the course is full. What I do is ask the course manager to allow me to pace along as if I was golfing... but fly instead. Get a tee time and only fly over the hole I want to record. I am using an electric so I don't need wide turns... I can virtually stay over the single hole.

I bet you had to clean yer shorts after that flight! It reminds me of when I flew over the EAA museum grounds... I got turned around and my plane got really small in hurry... I was lucky to bring her back. Definitely had a solided shorts moment-lol

I believe your luck was caused by your proper planning. There is no doubt in my mind that we can perform safe aerials with proper planning.

Rob
Old 10-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Forgot to ask:
Did yer spotter yell FORE!!! just before it dived thru the trees?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
XenX

ok i must have an EXTREMELY SAD attention to detail here, this may be the way you'v cut the video, but exactly 50 seconds into your video if you look at the far right of the picture, i can clearly see the prop stop spinning, completely, jitter a bit, then restart.

either you had AMAZING luck not once, but twice! or its just the way you'v cut the video so thats actually where the prop stops the first time, take a look man, (either that or your plane glided for AGES!)
Old 10-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Skycam41

ORIGINAL: XenX

ok i must have an EXTREMELY SAD attention to detail here, this may be the way you'v cut the video, but exactly 50 seconds into your video if you look at the far right of the picture, i can clearly see the prop stop spinning, completely, jitter a bit, then restart.

either you had AMAZING luck not once, but twice! or its just the way you'v cut the video so thats actually where the prop stops the first time, take a look man, (either that or your plane glided for AGES!)

The video is not cut there but what you are seeing is the strobe effect of the prop with the shutter in the camera. If you watch this other [link=http://www.windywest.com/fk.wmv]video[/link] of mine you will see at the 1:38 point of the video the prop looks to do exactly what it shows in the golf course video.

Well spotted though
Old 10-11-2004, 07:15 PM
XenX

oh yeh crap of course its the prop reaching the exact same(alternate) speed of the shutter on the camera, forgot about that effect.. D'oh!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:45 AM
TOPGUNNER

don't a camera record at like 30-40 fps ???

i'm sure the prop is spinning faster than what the camera can record making it look like the prop is at a stand still....

Video tape your T'V or Monitor it will do the same thing just Vice Versa...
t.v's and monitor are like 15 or 20fps so the camera will pick up the frames making your screen look like it is turning or flipping..

john...

Edit: XenX.......... Sorry didn't see that you corrected yourself on above post.........D'oh!
Old 10-15-2004, 12:31 AM
IA-Flyer

Oh that was close.
Nice vid Mike, I didn’t know golfers could move that fast!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Tetley

The guy on the green running was way to funny . Lucky landng thought!!!.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:57 PM
evil_nathan

Hi there,

I've been DESPERATELY trying to download ur video here in Oz, but having no luck - xfer rate is 99bps from that server for some reason, and the download times out..... [&o]

Is this file mirrored somewhere?

Thanks,

Nathan.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Skycam41

Evil_Nathan...I will put it on my FTP site for a bit so you can download it. I shall PM you with the address.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:54 PM
evil_nathan

Thanks for ur help Skycam41, very much apreciated...!!!

FTP didn't work out

but I've since managed to get it from the link above... AWESOME video!

Thx again,

Nathan.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Evader 53

Sweet video. Keep it up!

--Evader