Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

How do I reuse sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 11:40 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I reuse sound?

My ebay camera tx has four wires that were used to operate the camera. I removed the old cmos and installed a jack for my ccd camera and it works great. I have found through testing that the yellow is video, red is hot, brown is ground, and I have one orange wire left over that runs the microphone. Can I just get a button mic from radio shack, wire one wire to the mic wire and ground the other or is it more complicated than that? Sound isn't terribly necessary but it would be amusing at times, with that gasser I have stuck on the nose.......
Old 10-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How do I reuse sound?

It will probably be more complicated than that. Most likely the mic input is line level so you would need an amplified mic. Super Circuits sells one for about $10 or so that is amped but it is EXTREMELY sensitive and needs 12v.
I have used one of these in my Kadet Senior but no matter what I try the mic is overdriven. I finally ended up putting the mic in an EPP cube, wrapping it in foam rubber, than addind a second wrap of foam rubber. Its about the size of a handball now. Still too sensitive but you can at least hear the engine speed changing instead of a steady godawful roar.
I probably need to add a resister or pot to the line to decrease the input to the tx. Havent tried it since I usually go for music tracks and sound effects.
Anyone know where I can find that "Dah dah dah di dah... Dum!" Laugh-in track?
ORIGINAL: randall1959

My ebay camera tx has four wires that were used to operate the camera. I removed the old cmos and installed a jack for my ccd camera and it works great. I have found through testing that the yellow is video, red is hot, brown is ground, and I have one orange wire left over that runs the microphone. Can I just get a button mic from radio shack, wire one wire to the mic wire and ground the other or is it more complicated than that? Sound isn't terribly necessary but it would be amusing at times, with that gasser I have stuck on the nose.......
Old 10-26-2004, 12:17 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Ok thanx.........I didn't really need audio anyway.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Deltageek2

The guitar makes it rock. The bass makes it roll- but the microphone tells the story.

Audio is great in this app! It came with my first mw TX I got for use on my ZAGI and 2 meter sailplanes from a company in Canada that makes stuff for spy agencies- and it really completed the experience, hearing the motor and the sound of the wind in glide. Being electric, I can shut down and lose that gawdawful racket.

I was surprised when the rep at polariusa.com told me that due to the (deviously named) "Patriot Act" that audio is forbidden to be sold with these. Too bad- and now for the end run around it. Any law that needs a biological attack on Congress by the CIA to get passed is a POS anyway. They used to call that a military coup- now they just blame their victims.

I did a web search and found one with its own shrinkwrap clad amp for 12V which is suitable for my Line Level audio input on my tx. Its $48 tho.... Check the info on your tx to see which level yours requires.

FUBAR, it sounds like you are feeding a LINE LEVEL audio signal to a MIC level input. The difference is about 1,000 times in voltage level. Try soldering a 1K resistor in line with that feed- a 1/8th watt type is fine. If audio is then too low, try a 500 ohm instead- and lose that ball-o-fluff!

Try this link to the Micro Miniature Microphone. It sounds great on the twin 400 Porter camship.

www.homespy.com/listening_devices.htm

PS: Heres my idea of "Pilot's Eye View." The I-Glasses with stereo sound. Be sure to sit down- or fall down. Put the headtenna on the co-pilot on the buddybox for pointing. Its a real experience to do aerobatics with this.

Seems my new Mozilla Firefox browser is not going to work here for pix. Will use IE and post it next. Get security- lose functionality. Go figure...
Old 10-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Deltageek2

I-Glasses. Not cheap but the good stuff never is...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93129.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	188216  
Old 10-30-2004, 05:08 PM
stevennh

BlackwidowAV has a 5v amplified mic available for short money ($7.00 I think). It works great with my 600mw TX. It is line level out and about the same size as the end of a pencil (about 2" long).

Steve
Old 10-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Nope, the mic and input are both line level. The mic itself is amplified like a sum*****.
[link=http://207.207.29.130/store/prodinfo.asp?number=PA3&variation=&aitem=13&mitem=23]Super High Gain Mini Microphone[/link]
I originally tried using an electret mic and got nothing. The mic works great for picking up ambient sound when the engine is off such as flight line conversations, servo movement, you name it. We actually hooked up one on the plane and had one on the flight table plugged into the camcorder to record our comments during the flights. It just gets swamped when the engine is running or it is out in the wind. There appears to be a circuit in the BWAV 200mw tx that automatically damps down the mic and this actually works.
I do plan to put a res in the line at some point but generally an onboard mic isnt that important to me, at least for glow flight. MRROOOWWWMMRROOOWWW gets old very quickly.