Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

GPS with Overlay Systems

Old 11-01-2004, 09:36 PM
eyeinthesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS with Overlay Systems

Hi everyone,

Just curious, what is the (least expensive) way to get into a GPS with Overlay system. All I want is really Elevation and Speed in MPH.
Is there a simple system available out there without spending big bucks?

Eyeinthesky
Old 11-02-2004, 03:22 AM
mklarich

Default RE: GPS with Overlay Systems

EYe in the sky, www.icircuits.com has a fairly cheap overlay. OSD-GPS for $119, couple that with a cheap garmin etrex and you are good to go. Just remember the OSD takes a little more juice to run, I am running mine on 2 li-ion batteries and I don't think it is quite enuf. I am going to go to a 3 cell pack very soon.

I personally have been working on an overlay, not done yet though and will cost a little more then icircuits since it is highly customizable.

Matt Klarich
Old 11-03-2004, 09:32 AM
eyeinthesky

Matt,

Thanks for the info, I will look into this setup.

Eyeinthesky
Old 11-03-2004, 10:17 AM
eyeinthesky

Hi Matt,
After looking at the icircuits.com site, what do you think about using the GPS35-HVS model? is it harder to use in an airplane setup? I think the antenna design might be well suited for mounting. This model seems to have a large spread on the power needs, although I'm not sure this model will work well on a small battery source? Just wanted to get your opinion on it. I found some models in ebay that were in a similiar price range as an etrex.

Thanks,

Eyeinthesky
Old 11-03-2004, 11:32 AM
mklarich

Eyeinthesky, they want a LOT of money for the GPS 35. I would head to www.gpscity.com and look under their OEM sensors. Take a look at GPS 18 Garmin. We call it the puck, it looks like a hockey puck. They only want $80 for it where-as icircuits wants $190 for the 35.

These are very simple units, the 18 and 35. The give out basic gps info, you cannot program in any waypoints. If you intend on leaving it in the airplane and dedicating it to the airplane this isn't a problem. I know I occasionally take my etrex out and use it for other stuff. I am using the Garmin 15 OEM gps engine in my airplane, it has an external antenna though.

Anyway, my suggestion. Get the OSD-GPS from iciruits, and the Garmin OEM GPS 18 LVC Sensor with Bare Wire Connection (010-00321-05) from GPSCity.com. Use a 2 or 3 cell lithium pack, the OSD wants at least 8 volts and the GPS wants 4.5-5.5.

A 2 cell Li-Ion pack is 8.4 volts fully charged which is enough to make the OSD run but you might want to get a 3 cell pack to make sure you don't dip below 8 volts on the 2 cell. You will have to get a 5 volt regulator to run the GPS, you can use a standard RC regulator.

Do you know how to solder and wire?? If not reply to that fact, I can put it together for you if you want.

Matt Klarich
Old 11-03-2004, 11:55 AM
eyeinthesky

Thanks Matt,
I might take you up on the wiring offer, I can solder, but I'm not real knowledeable with the voltage regulators and battery setups. One last question. Will this setup give altitude and could I use the cheap Yellow Etrex GPS unit otherwise and still get an altitude reading? I guess one of the concerns for me is keeping the system small and lightweight, so I like the 3 cell shared Lithium pack idea.

What sort of price would it be for a completed system as you suggested with the 3 cell lithium pack, Are we allowed to discuss this in the forum? I'm sure other forum members may like this option as well.

If you don't want to discuss it here we can do it in an email.

Thanks,

Eyeinthesky